Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Good series for junior high boy
1  2  3  Next

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 9:26 pm
Any book recommendations for preteen boys?

Thank you.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 9:54 pm
Jewish, not Jewish? Reading level? Interests? Any books previously liked that may help guide to newer ideas?

groisamomma

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 10:07 pm
6th grade teachers in my school recommend Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicker, supposed to be very funny.

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 10:35 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Jewish, not Jewish? Reading level? Interests? Any books previously liked that may help guide to newer ideas?

Jewish and non-Jewish.

Reading level- I don't know, he's probably about my reading level but he's just a kid so his interests are not the same as mine. It's a little tricky with this age group I guess.

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 10:36 pm
groisamomma wrote:
6th grade teachers in my school recommend Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicker, supposed to be very funny.

Thanks!

Is it more funny or more scary/sad? If more funny than sad, then I definitely want to purchase. Looks good on Amazon. Just checked. Wink

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 10:51 pm
gold21 wrote:
Thanks!

Is it more funny or more scary/sad? If more funny than sad, then I definitely want to purchase. Looks good on Amazon. Just checked. Wink

It's funny, but very twisted humor.

My son is loving the warriors series. Not sure exactly what it's about. Something with clans of cats that have rivalries.

monseymom25

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 10:52 pm
The Indian in the Cupboard, Harry Potter book1, books Roald Dahl. Chronicles of Narnia, My side of the mountain.

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 11:01 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:

My son is loving the warriors series. Not sure exactly what it's about. Something with clans of cats that have rivalries.

Thanks!

Fighting clans of cats? Right up my kids' alley! And the series is very well rated on Amazon. Where did u pick it up, in the library? Looks cool. I think I'm going to purchase. Thank you.

Did your son read the Series of Unfortunate Events series?

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 11:03 pm
monseymom25 wrote:
The Indian in the Cupboard, Harry Potter book1, books Roald Dahl. Chronicles of Narnia, My side of the mountain.

Thank you! Cool

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 11:09 pm
Mysterious Benedict Society, etc
Books by Haddix (I think the first is Amongst the Hidden)

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 11:14 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Mysterious Benedict Society, etc
Books by Haddix (I think the first is Amongst the Hidden)

Thank you! Looking them over on Amazon now. Tongue Out

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 11:51 pm
gold21 wrote:
Thanks!

Fighting clans of cats? Right up my kids' alley! And the series is very well rated on Amazon. Where did u pick it up, in the library? Looks cool. I think I'm going to purchase. Thank you.

Did your son read the Series of Unfortunate Events series?

I was in Barnes and noble last year and I saw it. I read the back cover and I just knew that my son would love it so I bought the first book in the series. And mama was right! As usual😀 Since then, we purchase 1 or 2 of the series every time we are back in Barnes and noble. He loves them! He can talk to me about them for hours. I still have no clue what he's talking about, lol. I just nod my head and ask a few questions in the right places.

He did not read the series of unfortunate events. I read them all. My father bought me the whole series as a teenager. They are interesting, but like I said, very odd humor. I also did not find the ending all that satisfactory. There were so many books leading up to the mystery being solved, and then I didn't feel like the mystery was solved all that well.

Other books he loves is all 7 harry potters. (Takes after mama. I'm a Harry Potter crazed fan)

He's also in middle of reading the oz books. We own books 1-10. Need to get him 11-14 and he'll be done the series.

Mrs frisky and the rats of nimh is a great book.

I didn't introduce these to my son yet, but I LOVED the Edward eager books. Especially Half Magic.

I also introduced him to the GReat Brain Series and he's loving it. I also had a great time rereading them. Brought me back to my child hood.

I'll write more when I think of more.

trixx

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 12:17 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

fyi not inappropriate humor, just dark and deadpan. a lot of irony. I actually eventually got tired of the style.

guardians of gahoole (lower middle school level but depends on the kid)

Boca00

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 12:31 am
Lots of great ideas above!

I remember my brothers loving the Hardy Boys series and Encyclopedia Brown books if he's into mysteries, and the Animorphosis (sp?) series. Oh, and Lord of the Rings.

Also, what about comic books? Fox trot, Calvin and hobbes, baby blues, tin tin...

gold21

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 12:43 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I was in Barnes and noble last year and I saw it. I read the back cover and I just knew that my son would love it so I bought the first book in the series. And mama was right! As usual😀 Since then, we purchase 1 or 2 of the series every time we are back in Barnes and noble. He loves them! He can talk to me about them for hours. I still have no clue what he's talking about, lol. I just nod my head and ask a few questions in the right places.

He did not read the series of unfortunate events. I read them all. My father bought me the whole series as a teenager. They are interesting, but like I said, very odd humor. I also did not find the ending all that satisfactory. There were so many books leading up to the mystery being solved, and then I didn't feel like the mystery was solved all that well.

Other books he loves is all 7 harry potters. (Takes after mama. I'm a Harry Potter crazed fan)

He's also in middle of reading the oz books. We own books 1-10. Need to get him 11-14 and he'll be done the series.

Mrs frisky and the rats of nimh is a great book.

I didn't introduce these to my son yet, but I LOVED the Edward eager books. Especially Half Magic.

I also introduced him to the GReat Brain Series and he's loving it. I also had a great time rereading them. Brought me back to my child hood.

I'll write more when I think of more.

Thank you!! Great info. Thumbs Up

My boys are big Harry Potter fans as well! Although I myself never really got into it. I guess they take after my husband in that regard. Lol. Me and Harry P never really clicked sadly. Crying

Last edited by gold21 on Tue, Oct 03 2017, 12:49 am; edited 2 times in total

trixx

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 12:43 am
Boca00 wrote:
Lots of great ideas above!

I remember my brothers loving the Hardy Boys series and Encyclopedia Brown books if he's into mysteries, and the Animorphosis (sp?) series. Oh, and Lord of the Rings.

Also, what about comic books? Fox trot, Calvin and hobbes, baby blues, tin tin...

animorphs
loved it
but I read all these things way younger. so it depends on the reader.

gold21

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 12:50 am
trixx wrote:
animorphs
loved it
but I read all these things way younger. so it depends on the reader.

Oh hey I remember that series!! Thanks :-)

gold21

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 12:54 am
Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. Gave me a lot of ideas.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 1:38 am
Roald Dahl
Gary Paulson, my brother loved those. Don't remember what age.
Asterix and Obelix.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 3:32 am
Depends on the reader. I read hardy Potter in second and third grade.... And the series of unfortunate events in 4th.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children