Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How do people live on income that qualifies for benefits?
Previous  1  2  3

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 1:00 am
Shoshana37 wrote:
By the way I work in none for profit organization and I don't get any tax breaks or tuition breaks etc....

Well, you should. pm me if you want more info.

Edit: Oh, sorry, I just saw some-one earlier posted about parsonage. I'm not sure if what I'm referring to is parsonage, I'm not sure what the term is.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 1:04 am
amother wrote:
Vouchers are for after school program. NY pays so much for this care that some schools may accept it as full payment.

TY for the clarification.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 3:16 am
amother wrote:
... they may declare welfare ...

Declare?

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 7:58 am
amother wrote:
$1000 a month for insurance? Isnt this very much for Poor middle class?
I have upper middle class bil, very straightforward every penny on books who pays minimal amount for insurance. Nothing near to what you are paying.

Would love to know how!! Maybe he is part of his work group? Our income is 70,000 pre tax 2 adults 2 children.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 8:05 am
imasoftov wrote:
Declare?

That's the wording used.

watergirl

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 8:22 am
amother wrote:
Would love to know how!! Maybe he is part of his work group? Our income is 70,000 pre tax 2 adults 2 children.

Its possible that his work pays a lot of their plan for them. BH a million times, my work pays 80% of my insurance, and 50% of my husbands. Its still a lot, but only because he is on my plan.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 8:27 am
amother wrote:
$1000 a month for insurance? Isnt this very much for Poor middle class?

I don’t have to take insurance, because B”H my husband gets great coverage through his company. But what they charge him $200 a month for is the equivalent to what my small company charges $1000 a month for.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 9:40 am
Squishy wrote:
Their income is counted for Medicaid.

It is income. It is only exempt from income tax. You are responsible for fica and Medicaid tax. You also don't get the employer contribution.

It is income for Medicare taxes, but due to the new ACA rules, all non-elderly Medicaid programs must follow the Modified Adjusted Gross Income counting just like the Marketplace subsidy program and yes, parsonage is excluded.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 12:37 pm
amother wrote:

Put ur kids on child health plus. I have 3 kids...30 dollars each is 90 a month. Th and I are in liberty share group for 249 a month. A family is 450 under liberty and I know tons of ppl happy in it. Look into it.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 4:02 pm
Ok, another single mother here.....

I've never qualified for any benefits, no SNAP, no WIC, nothing. Why? Because my income is just slightly , literally by a few hundred, over the limit. 3 kids and myself.

There is no other way to put it, but it just totally sucks and its totally unfair. I live in a very small 1BR but rent is still 1500. I can't afford tuition, I get breaks but what they want is still too much. Luckily, we have healthcare through my employer. Food, let's not talk about food. Luckily we get invited out a lot. I'm sick of scrapping by. The only way we survive is through the little help from my parents here and there. Otherwise, I don't even want to think about where we would be.........

I know many really need the benefits but don't get me started on the ones that cheat the system!!! It's very unfair that there are those that get vouchers, section 8, food, etc, basically everything taken care of while there are those of us that live like this.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 4:08 pm
I just wanted to add that I've heard that section 8 is almost impossible to get anymore these days. And those vouchers, which as previously mentioned, are actually for after school care if a parent is working or a student. Anyhow, the yeshivas take them because they can claim they are a daycare or aftercare center in some cases. After age 12 that's it bc then a child is considered old enough to not need aftercare anymore or whatever.......

so then you're on your own for the kids above age 12

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 4:45 pm
amother wrote:
The way a lot of Rebbeim live is that their income is considered parsonage which makes it that lot of their income isnt counted for Medicaid eligibility the part of income that is considered parsonage does not count as income as it isn't part of the MAGI. They still arent living the good life financially but without paying for health insurance and minimal taxes it makes it more feasible. Hope this is helpful.

My dh is a rebbe and I work in the business office of a different school and guess what. WE ARE NOT ON ANY PROGRAMS. We pay for all our own food and gasp we are also not an medicaid- not even my kids. We even pay tuition for our kids in school. We have two kids in school and we pay around 5k each, and a baby at a babysitter. It really really gets me upset when people assume I am a freeloader because my husband is in chinuch.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics