Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is this "unsanitary?" (PS: (No) thanks for your judgment)
Previous  1  2  3

Zehava

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 10:49 am
amother wrote:
Really? I thought this was common practice. I will now officially consider myself lucky. I already appreciated the notice but I didn't realize it's not standard. Unless maybe you're in Israel and lice come around relatively often? Here it's more like chickenpox. If a kid has something unexpected and contagious, you warn people away from it.

They did not say which child it was, just that the individual was being taken care of and they strongly advise checking your kids a couple of times over vacation and will have a professional double-check the whole school when school resumes on Monday after chag.

Nope not in Israel lol though I heard they are really chilled about lice over there.
But I don't believe there is anyplace lice is considered like chicken pox.
Until they develop a lice vaccine it'll be a normal part of childhood no matter where you live.
I had an infestation exactly once as an inexperienced mother. It was horrible. But Over the course of a week I got em all. Since then I comb at the first signs of scratching and never had something of that scale since.
I also think all that hysteria is unwarranted. I wouldn't bother combing my kid unless she was scratching. Maybe I'd check by hand for a few minutes just to be on the safe side.

marina

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 10:58 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Fortuitously, her DD didn't have lice. But she was checking because she thought her DD MIGHT have lice. How would you have felt if you were washing your hands next to her and she'd said "GOT ONE!" and threw lice into the sink?

She wasn't planning to delouse her child there. She just did a lice check. Which is fine to do in a bathroom.

When kids are checked in school or camp, they are not checked in a specific quarantined location- usually just in the nurse's office or bathroom or whatever.

Also, you seem to be looking at lice as something dirty and gross. I would suggest treating this instead as a somewhat contagious sickness, like maybe chicken pox. If you're in a public area and you want to see if your child has any chicken pox, sure, go into a bathroom and do a quick once-over and if you find chicken pox, take him home, the end.

Throwing lice into the sink - compare that to walking around with shedding chicken pox virus that you don't know about yet.

STMommy

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 11:16 am
OP I admire the respect you afforded your yom tov hosts by doing whatever necessary to ensure you would not be bringing a child with lice to their home. Kudos to you.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 11:43 am
Classic case of being too rigid with a schedule.

Better to inconvenience yourself than everyone else.

Yes, it's gross, and totally innapropriate.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 11:57 am
People literally poop in bathrooms. How is combing a kid's hair less sanitary? The only thing I might have done differently was gone into a stall (so ppl could assume I was helping dd in the bathroom) but that would have been less sanitary for you and dd and it also would have needlessly put a toilet out of commission.

I really don't get this outrage. When I walk into a public restroom, I'm just happy if there's a toilet seat that's clean enough to line with paper.

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 12:22 pm
Zehava wrote:
Nope not in Israel lol though I heard they are really chilled about lice over there.
But I don't believe there is anyplace lice is considered like chicken pox.
Until they develop a lice vaccine it'll be a normal part of childhood no matter where you live.
I had an infestation exactly once as an inexperienced mother. It was horrible. But Over the course of a week I got em all. Since then I comb at the first signs of scratching and never had something of that scale since.
I also think all that hysteria is unwarranted. I wouldn't bother combing my kid unless she was scratching. Maybe I'd check by hand for a few minutes just to be on the safe side.

Lice was not a normal part of my childhood. We didn't get lice. There was never an outbreak in schools or camps. We didn't get checked for lice and never heard of these lice professionals. They are not common everywhere. My siblings never got lice. Their children and grandchildren never got lice. My friends didn't get lice. There was never a letter sent home saying another child in class had lice. Lice just isn't a normal part of everyone's childhood. I wonder why it is so common in certain frum circles.

Anyway, I imagine that the person who hung the sign also isn't used to this. I also equate this with a homeless person taking a sponge bath in a public bathroom. OP knew having grooming equipment and setting up is a strange thing to do; hence, she offered every person coming in her personal reasons why she was doing this. The oral explanations is not something I would be comfortable hearing, nor would I ever speak to a third person by deliberately talking loudly to my child.

Anyway, I imagine the person who hung the sign found OP's boundaries strange and did not want to risk a confrontation. I can't imagine OP meekly saying that you know you are right. She feels justified doing this. The sign hanger feels repulsed by this.

Jeanette

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 2:07 pm
Squishy wrote:
Lice was not a normal part of my childhood. We didn't get lice. There was never an outbreak in schools or camps. We didn't get checked for lice and never heard of these lice professionals. They are not common everywhere. My siblings never got lice. Their children and grandchildren never got lice. My friends didn't get lice. There was never a letter sent home saying another child in class had lice. Lice just isn't a normal part of everyone's childhood. I wonder why it is so common in certain frum circles.

Anyway, I imagine that the person who hung the sign also isn't used to this. I also equate this with a homeless person taking a sponge bath in a public bathroom. OP knew having grooming equipment and setting up is a strange thing to do; hence, she offered every person coming in her personal reasons why she was doing this. The oral explanations is not something I would be comfortable hearing, nor would I ever speak to a third person by deliberately talking loudly to my child.

Anyway, I imagine the person who hung the sign found OP's boundaries strange and did not want to risk a confrontation. I can't imagine OP meekly saying that you know you are right. She feels justified doing this. The sign hanger feels repulsed by this.

Lice is a common condition. There are six to twelve million cases per year in the us. I highly doubt all those cases are concentrated in certain frum communities.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/......html

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 2:39 pm
Jeanette wrote:
Lice is a common condition. There are six to twelve million cases per year in the us. I highly doubt all those cases are concentrated in certain frum communities.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/......html

I never said anything remotely like what you are refuting. You statement is ridiculous.

MrsDash

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 10:38 am
How can someone be "repulsed" by bugs? Bathrooms host all types of different insects and varmints. Cockroaches. Mice. SPIDERS!!! Heck, I've even seen a litter of kittens in a bathroom! Are none of these squeamish folk parents? Explosive diarrhea much? Projectile vomiting perhaps? UNFLUSHED doo doo! Urine on the toilet seat? I mean in all the things that can go wrong or be gross in a bathroom, people find LICE to be the top offender? Really? Lice? Better lice than crabs! Yuck! Come on. People really need to grow a pair or ovaries! (Confused? Ovaries are powerful and well protected, while balls tend to be highly sensitive and exposed!)

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 12:05 pm
The only thing I personally find unsanitary is you sitting on the bathroom floor - but that's only an issue for YOU. It doesn't affect anyone else coming and going in the bathroom.
Yes, it's slightly off-putting to see someone brushing out lice (they don't know there isn't any) in the bathroom, but the reality is that anyone can come in there with lice at any time and who would ever know?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 12:31 pm
Raised a lot of kids and grandkids....my motto: you do what you gotta do, and move on! Just keep on pushing forward and don't worry about others' judgements.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 2:34 pm
In Israel no one cares about lice. No lice checks or anything. No getting sent home. On one hand its chilled and nice on the other your kid will keep getting it from the same kid who never gets the problem taken care of.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette