Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Where to buy wide toddler/preschooler shoes?

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 1:00 pm
I ordered new Shabbat shoes for dd from Next about a month ago. They don't seem to fit very well- as much as she loves the look and talks about them, she's been choosing to wear her old shoes. I'm guessing she has a wide toe cage as I do- we had measured length but not width- and her old shoes were the largest size of Next's First Walkers series, though in wide- and I don't see any shoes in her current length available in wide.

Is there somewhere in Jerusalem or online to look for wide-fit? Looking to spend up to 120 shekels, preferably less, since she's going through sizes quickly but they do need to fit reasonably. Otherwise, would you just send a 2-3yo to shul in sneakers? Those tend to run wider to begin with.

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 3:04 pm
We have the opposite problem - my dds feet are very narrow. I've learned that the different shoe brands here naturally run wider/narrower than others.
- Gali in general is wider than other brands here, including a roomier toe-box. They also sell Hush Puppy brand shoes, some of which may be wider, but it depends on the style. Gali has an outlet store with cheap prices in Talpiyot on Yad Charutzim 21.
- Nimrod shoes (not the elefanten brand which is actually on the narrower end, but actual Nimrod brand) also tend to be wider than average. Nimrod has an outlet store in Kanyon Hadar (on Pierre Koenig St) in Talpiyot which has last years styles on the left half of the store for cheaper prices.
- Papaya has some styles which are wide, and some which are quite narrow. They have an outlet store in Talpiyot too, in Kanyon Achim Yisrael (on Yad Charutzim St too). It's new, I've never been there.
Basically, all 3 stores are a few minutes walk from each other, so you could do the rounds.

You could also try Top Shop in Givat Shaul on Kanfei Nesharim - they have last year's Papaya styles for cheaper too, plus a variety of other cheap brands which may or may not be wide.

Also, I sent my daughter to shul in sneakers until she was 4, because it was too hard to find shabbat shoes which were narrow enough for her feet. She didn't seem to care and neither did anyone else. Also, keep in mind that winter is coming, and she may not even be able to wear them half the time because of the rain - my daughter went to shul in boots every winter. When she was around 4, she noticed that the other girls had and asked for shabbat shoes, so I told her that as soon as winter was done, I would be her shabbat shoes, and that's when we did.

Kids feet in general tend to get narrower around age 3-5, so waiting until their feet are a bit bigger sometimes solves the problem - for kids with narrow feet to begin with, their feet don't get any narrower, but more standard sizes fit, and for kids whose feet are still wide, the feet start to get narrower and standard sizes fit.

I strongly recommend taking her to the store to try things on, it's the only way to know whether they are comfortable and fit correctly, it would be a shame to spend another 100+ shekel on shoes which she won't even wear.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 3:29 pm
amother wrote:
We have the opposite problem - my dds feet are very narrow. I've learned that the different shoe brands here naturally run wider/narrower than others.
- Gali in general is wider than other brands here, including a roomier toe-box. They also sell Hush Puppy brand shoes, some of which may be wider, but it depends on the style. Gali has an outlet store with cheap prices in Talpiyot on Yad Charutzim 21.
- Nimrod shoes (not the elefanten brand which is actually on the narrower end, but actual Nimrod brand) also tend to be wider than average. Nimrod has an outlet store in Kanyon Hadar (on Pierre Koenig St) in Talpiyot which has last years styles on the left half of the store for cheaper prices.
- Papaya has some styles which are wide, and some which are quite narrow. They have an outlet store in Talpiyot too, in Kanyon Achim Yisrael (on Yad Charutzim St too). It's new, I've never been there.
Basically, all 3 stores are a few minutes walk from each other, so you could do the rounds.

You could also try Top Shop in Givat Shaul on Kanfei Nesharim - they have last year's Papaya styles for cheaper too, plus a variety of other cheap brands which may or may not be wide.

Also, I sent my daughter to shul in sneakers until she was 4, because it was too hard to find shabbat shoes which were narrow enough for her feet. She didn't seem to care and neither did anyone else. Also, keep in mind that winter is coming, and she may not even be able to wear them half the time because of the rain - my daughter went to shul in boots every winter. When she was around 4, she noticed that the other girls had and asked for shabbat shoes, so I told her that as soon as winter was done, I would be her shabbat shoes, and that's when we did.

Kids feet in general tend to get narrower around age 3-5, so waiting until their feet are a bit bigger sometimes solves the problem - for kids with narrow feet to begin with, their feet don't get any narrower, but more standard sizes fit, and for kids whose feet are still wide, the feet start to get narrower and standard sizes fit.

I strongly recommend taking her to the store to try things on, it's the only way to know whether they are comfortable and fit correctly, it would be a shame to spend another 100+ shekel on shoes which she won't even wear.

Thank you! The original pair have only been worn a few times, so I'd still save them in case a younger sister has narrower feet, or offer them to cousins who might fit- 70 shekels' lesson learned. Dd will wear her rainboots that do fit when it rains, even if it's to shul.

Talpiot sounds good, we often end up there for one thing or another anyway- I guess I haven't checked out most shoe stores because I only buy for myself as mine wear out and I've learned that Teva Naot tend to fit me and last 3-4 years with daily wearing. Thanks again for the suggestions!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions