Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Non Perishable Food for Remote Travel

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 8:52 pm
Dh is flying far out for a long trip and needs to take along non perishable food that will keep him satiated. He will have access to chabad at some points but can't rely on that for all the time. What would you recommend besides for tuna pouches?

abaker

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 9:24 pm
How about rice cakes, crackers, mezonos rolls with canned sardines or canned herring if he eats those things. They sell single serving peanut butter containers and I've bought single serving squeeze packs of almond butter too. You can send fruit cups, instant oatmeal packs, cereals, noodle soups, "juice boxes" of almond or soy milk. There's beef jerky as well. Good luck!

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 9:30 pm
Where is he flying and for how long? Does he need to bring milk, etc?

You can get meal mart dinners that heat themselves and can be stored at room temperature? Powder peanut butter is a light weight protein.

You can give him packed cheese and meat.

simcha2

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 10:41 pm
I've used a portable camping stove when I've been in remote places, something like this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....00951

You can buy the gas in most places. I take along a camping saucepan. You can make rice, beans eggs etc.

purple 1

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 11:03 pm
They sell meat jerky, meat sticks... that don't have to be refrigerated- those are a great travel protein sorce

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 11:20 pm
abaker wrote:
How about rice cakes, crackers, mezonos rolls with canned sardines or canned herring if he eats those things. They sell single serving peanut butter containers and I've bought single serving squeeze packs of almond butter too. You can send fruit cups, instant oatmeal packs, cereals, noodle soups, "juice boxes" of almond or soy milk. There's beef jerky as well. Good luck!

Thank you all great ideas that I'll add to our list. I'd love more non fish ideas too.
Squishy wrote:
Where is he flying and for how long? Does he need to bring milk, etc?

You can get meal mart dinners that heat themselves and can be stored at room temperature? Powder peanut butter is a light weight protein.

You can give him packed cheese and meat.

Can you link the dinners that heat themselves? The meal mart ones I've seen can be stored at room temperature but need to be heated in a microwave.
What sort of packed meat and cheese? We tried deli meat last time but after a full day of travel they didn't smell right anymore.
purple 1 wrote:
They sell meat jerky, meat sticks... that don't have to be refrigerated- those are a great travel protein sorce

That's a great one and we'll add some of that too. I don't know why he doesn't love jerky so much. Maybe we'll pack up the sticks this time. I'll try to hunt down true dried salami that doesn't need to be refrigerated. The salami taken last trip didn't stay fresh.

You guys are the best. More ideas welcome.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 11:49 pm
In the past, I've traveled with a portable electric burner, non-stick pot and pan, and a few utensils. You can buy eggs, vegetables, pasta or potatoes, and salt, and make yourself a meal without too much trouble. If you're traveling to a foreign country, you will have to get a converter, or better yet, get a portable electric burner appropriate for that country.

However: Realistically, on business trips you may not have time to get to a grocery store. And sometimes it is just too exhausting to start cooking when you come back to your hotel from a stressful day. Ready-made food, like those Meal Mart meals (which are not positively awful, even when cold), are very useful.

In addition to the suggestions above, I'd recommend taking along granola bars. Also, you can get salmon in pouches, not just tuna.

Warning: I've had small tuna cans packed in water confiscated at the airport because they were considered a liquid. Stick to the foil packs.

tichellady

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 11:51 pm
Luna bars, the best travel meals are “ my own meals”. The self heating ones are terrible imo

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 12:05 am
If he needs to have milk with his coffee, you can send him with single serve soy milk (or shelf-stable regular milk if you don't keep CY).

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 12:35 am
If he will have access to a microwave and a grocery store, a small plastic microwave-safe container can be used to steam vegetables. You can buy peeled and chopped vegetables in many grocery stores.

Tuna packets

Crackers/wraps

Cheese can be frozen for transportation. Will he have a fridge?

A single burner stove and a simple non-stick pan and spaluta can be used to make omelettes on the go. Pack a small salt and pepper shaker set. A small pot can be used to cook pasta.

Instant soup cups

Ramen-type noodle packages

Breakfast cereals

Silverware, or a stack of disposables

trixx

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 12:55 am
Thinly sliced chicken cutlets, vacuum packed

Rice pilaf or couscous mix, can make it in Styrofoam cups

Instant oatmeal

In NY pomegranate sells frozen microwavable dinners, Dan's deals raves about it, needs to be ordered a lot in advance though

Roasted chestnuts peeled and ready to eat, sold in bags

Beef jerky

Recently saw in supermarket ready cooked rice and couscous, don't remember company name

Small Hummus containers and pretzels or crackers

jkw

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 1:36 am
I freeze unopened vacuum packed cold cuts and they thaw gradually.
You can buy humus with a hecsher almost anywhere. Think the meal mart meals are great tasting. If he is going to be in the US or Canada, a Costco card is VERY useful as many of the stores have something with a hecsher. I have found frozen cooked kosher food in the Costco in Waltham (outside of Boston), Albany, etc.
If you add some deli meats to an instant noodle soup you will have a meal. Also canned chickpeas are great tasting to add to salads.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 2:01 am
I've seen Flaum Good to Go Tuna and Crackers online shopping. They must need to be refrigerated does anybody know?
We're going to scratch soup cups and oatmeal off the list since we can't trust the local water and I don't want him tempted to use the tap if he runs out of bottled.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 6:03 am
Not sure what are pouchs but find out if there is a kosher list. They can make or break a trip. Get meat sent to you, get a grill, Glatt Service, Amy's kitchen and Bâton Rouge have great meals you can microwave.

imasinger

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 9:02 am
My DH loves to use the Tasty Bite indian food packets for travel. They make rice, and dairy or pareve mains. Not everyone holds by the hechsher, so AYLOR. They're good cold, or can be heated in microwave or as a sealed package in boiling water.

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 9:06 am
Don't forget chocolate and nuts.

There are dairy vegetable packs you can buy in the health food store that don't need to be refrigerated. The company also sells pres cooked rice in those packs.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 7:33 pm
OP here. Just wanted to report back about some of the items I've been sending when dh travels.

Dried salami slices, asked butcher to slice and vacuum pack in portion sizes
Dried salami chubs, a new item with no refrigeration necessary
Crackers whatever I can find with individual packets
Non perishable humus and cracker packages
Non perishable milk drink boxes (not CY)
Cappuccino drink boxes
Individual cereal cups
Granola bars
Kind bars
Pistachios and other nuts that come in individual packets
Trail mix in individual serving packets
Natural dried fruit leather packets
Tuna pouches
Packets of mayo and ketchup
Peanut butter cracker sandwiches
Rugelach that come individually wrapped
Garbanzo beans in pouch (just bought and I have to check if it's shelf stable)

Meal Mart Amazing Meals that officially need to be microwaved, but instead I send them along with an extra large Glad container that can be filled with boiling water and immerse the meal in that until warm.

sub

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 7:41 pm
You can dry the salami yourself. Hang it over the sink for about a week. Once its quite dry he can take it with him and slice as much as he wants.
There are food portions for travel in kosher grocery stores- that have some kind of warming pouch in the box. No microwave needed.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 7:52 pm
trixx wrote:
Thinly sliced chicken cutlets, vacuum packed

Rice pilaf or couscous mix, can make it in Styrofoam cups

Instant oatmeal

In NY pomegranate sells frozen microwavable dinners, Dan's deals raves about it, needs to be ordered a lot in advance though

Roasted chestnuts peeled and ready to eat, sold in bags

Beef jerky

Recently saw in supermarket ready cooked rice and couscous, don't remember company name

Small Hummus containers and pretzels or crackers

Do you have any more information on the rice? The ones I saw needed refrigeration.

imasinger wrote:
My DH loves to use the Tasty Bite indian food packets for travel. They make rice, and dairy or pareve mains. Not everyone holds by the hechsher, so AYLOR. They're good cold, or can be heated in microwave or as a sealed package in boiling water.

Thanks for this! Tried it and I liked it but dh didn't.

Squishy wrote:
Don't forget chocolate and nuts.

There are dairy vegetable packs you can buy in the health food store that don't need to be refrigerated. The company also sells pres cooked rice in those packs.

This sounds good. Do you have more information on this?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen