Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Dd making friends at school

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 5:51 am
My daughter is in middle school and has a hard time making friends. I was a shy child so I am not sure how to encourage her in socializing with her classmates.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 12:50 pm
Could you bring in a professional to try to figure out what the source of the difficulty is?

Boca00

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 2:11 pm
What do her teachers think is the reason? Is she just shy and quiet, or is there a deeper reason? Is she trying to make friends and failing- or not even trying?

ETA- If its just a matter of shyness... People who are shy tend to do really well in smaller settings. Meaning, a sleepover with one girl, volunteering with a friend at the nursing home or hospital, doing chessed with one girl at a house full of kids or a house with special needs children....

If its a low self esteem issue, you can try building her up in areas where she can succeed (and meet other people)- like art lessons, drama club, dance or ballet...

And if she needs help with social skills, I believe that can be taught as well.

RebekahsMom

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 2:25 pm
My daughter has a hard time making friends (I also did as a child). The teachers told me “just because it’s what you want for them doesn’t mean it’s what she needs.” She is a bit special needs/ has trouble socializing. But she’s great with little kids or special needs. In my case, I liked books better than people.

Can you find any girls groups to join? Perhaps pick 1-2 people who would be a good fit and focus on them. Can the teachers sit her with a specific girl at lunch?

Sometimes it helps if you’re active in making friends- invite a girl out to Menchie’s, ask her what her interests are while (before the outing) encouraging your daughter to give positive comments (that sounds fun!) and share her interests.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children