Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Have u ever wondered...

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 2:57 pm
How women managed a 3 day yt w/o a fridge or freezer?

I think about this a lot. It wasn't even a hundred years ago. If those people came back and saw what we had now?

And if the saw a power outage, and how we can't cope... They may very well be disgusted. What? You can't manage a Shabbes w/o a fridge? I never had one ny whole life.

Same with indoor plumbing. And hot water.

Then I think about my kids. What? You can't manage a few hours w/o a computer / phone / WiFi? Air-conditioning?

And I realise that I need to have more compassion for them.

Did you ever think about this?

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 3:02 pm
They had to work physically harder but that also meant that everybody had to chip in, no excuses. They also did not have the same ol of working full time out of the home. They worked super hard but all in the home and for the food and house upkeep.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 3:12 pm
Whatever indulgences a person becomes accustomed to, becomes a necessity over time. True, 100 years ago there was no indoor plumbing. Is there honestly a single person reading this that would be remotely comfortable digging a hole in the back of their house to be used as a toilet? I assure you that whatever advances the generation 100 years ago had vs. The generation 200 years ago, was considered a necessity and a hardship to go without.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 3:25 pm
Whatever indulgences a person becomes accustomed to, becomes a necessity over time. True, 100 years ago there was no indoor plumbing. Is there honestly a single person reading this that would be remotely comfortable digging a hole in the back of their house to be used as a toilet? I assure you that whatever advances the generation 100 years ago had vs. The generation 200 years ago, was considered a necessity and a hardship to go without.

Cmon be nice

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 4:23 pm
A butcher once told my father that in Europe, when there was a 3 day yom tov, they ended davening early on Friday and went to schect for shabos. Now most people don't even know that you can schect on yom tov!

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 4:27 pm
I find the whole laundry process quite overwhelming (sorting, pre treating, loading, unloading, hanging, folding & putting away seems to take forever). I try to remind myself how lucky we are not to be shlepping our clothing to the river for washing.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 5:26 pm
That's why cooking is permitted on Yom Tov. No one cooked a month in advance. But the food was fresh and yummy I'm sure!

trixx

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 8:32 pm
amother wrote:
I find the whole laundry process quite overwhelming (sorting, pre treating, loading, unloading, hanging, folding & putting away seems to take forever). I try to remind myself how lucky we are not to be shlepping our clothing to the river for washing.

Then people had two dresses, one good. They wouldn't have had mountains of laundry the way we do (cloth diapers the exception)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics