Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Not typical chol homoed outing not too far from bp
1  2  Next

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 2:41 pm
Looking for something different for a change to do with ages 2-12. Not rides or a zoo. Those are boring already. Not more than an hr drive from bp

SingALong

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 3:00 pm
Museums. Liberty science center, or any museum in Manhattan that has hands on activities for kids

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 3:41 pm
You got one fine answer. If you want more, please consider writing a more focused subject line, e.g. off the beaten track family activities near BP. Hatzlacha and enjoy!

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 4:34 pm
Cradle of aviation IMAX

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 6:23 pm
Hah! Someone listens to me, she says loudly enough for her kids to hear.
(Just kidding, they're great Very Happy )

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 6:57 pm
amother wrote:
Cradle of aviation IMAX

You can also do the fire museum next door. My kids loved it.

animeme

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 7:40 pm
The math museum in the city is free this week. Different acticities in it will appeal to different ages. Washington Square Park, across the street from it, has a playground and a sukkah.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 8:22 pm
animeme wrote:
The math museum in the city is free this week. Different acticities in it will appeal to different ages. Washington Square Park, across the street from it, has a playground and a sukkah.

Is it? I thought it was free only yesterday, until 1 pm. And I can't find anything online about it either.

animeme

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 9:09 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Is it? I thought it was free only yesterday, until 1 pm. And I can't find anything online about it either.

I think you're right. Still worth going, I think.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 10:09 pm
WHAT IS THIS about the math museum being free and why did I not know about it and how can I be more on top of things next time? I want to go so much and it's so expensive.

doctorima

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 11:35 pm
Sign up for their email list, which announces special events each month (including free days).

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 11:45 pm
I was on their email list at one point but there were soooooo many things that were irrelevant that I started ignoring them until I got around to unsubscribing. Never saw any free days. Many paid events. Very many.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 11:48 pm
What is the math museum and what ages kids is it geared to?

zzzz

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 1:10 am
animeme wrote:

I can't find anywhere online that it's free. Do they only notify via email.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 1:22 am
amother wrote:
What is the math museum and what ages kids is it geared to?

Look it up, Museum of Mathematics - I don't think I could do it justice in a description!

It's exhibits that represent and model a lot of mathematical concepts but saying that doesn't at all help you understand that - just look it up, look at pictures or youtube or something.

Age interest varies - it is definitely not a toddler or preschool type of place, but whether your 7-year-old is interested depends on their (and your) personality. I would totally take my kids if it weren't so expensive (I'll still take them someday, just not until they're old enough to appreciate it better.) I think part of the reason they'd enjoy it is because I love it so I will be able to go into it enthusiastically with them. But also my kids love to learn and see interesting things. We have a good time at the Museum of Natural History too - I hated that place when I was little, thought it was super boring, but my kids just love stuff. But the Math Museum is like 100x more hands-on and interesting than natural history - so forget that comparison, I was just saying that different kids will enjoy different things.

I'd estimate 9+ would be a perfect age. If you're going as a family and have some members younger than that but within school age then it's still a good family trip. But 3-year-olds need not apply. Babies who can fit in an ergo will be OK Smile

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 1:25 am
seeker wrote:
Look it up, Museum of Mathematics - I don't think I could do it justice in a description!

It's exhibits that represent and model a lot of mathematical concepts but saying that doesn't at all help you understand that - just look it up, look at pictures or youtube or something.

Age interest varies - it is definitely not a toddler or preschool type of place, but whether your 7-year-old is interested depends on their (and your) personality. I would totally take my kids if it weren't so expensive (I'll still take them someday, just not until they're old enough to appreciate it better.) I think part of the reason they'd enjoy it is because I love it so I will be able to go into it enthusiastically with them. But also my kids love to learn and see interesting things. We have a good time at the Museum of Natural History too - I hated that place when I was little, thought it was super boring, but my kids just love stuff. But the Math Museum is like 100x more hands-on and interesting than natural history - so forget that comparison, I was just saying that different kids will enjoy different things.

I'd estimate 9+ would be a perfect age. If you're going as a family and have some members younger than that but within school age then it's still a good family trip. But 3-year-olds need not apply. Babies who can fit in an ergo will be OK Smile

Thanks seeker!
I did read online but it's always better to hear first hand!
Do we need to enjoy math? Will I be bored if I despise math?!

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 1:31 am
No, you will love it if you love math because you always knew math was cool, and you will love it if you hate math because someone finally made math cool! It's a FUN museum, not a bigger-textbook type place. It is really fun.

I took my IIRC 4-5th grade resource room kids there one year, I think we had one math geek but most of these were doing lots of resource math with me - they LOVED it. A couple of kids kind of glazed over the information (which was important and interesting - like there was one sportsy game where if you listened to the 3-second explanation of how to do it right using math concepts, you would win. They just wanted to play the sportsy game and didn't care if they lost. Kids...) but even they had fun, and everyone else had fun seeing math be fun.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 1:34 am
seeker wrote:
No, you will love it if you love math because you always knew math was cool, and you will love it if you hate math because someone finally made math cool! It's a FUN museum, not a bigger-textbook type place. It is really fun.

I took my IIRC 4-5th grade resource room kids there one year, I think we had one math geek but most of these were doing lots of resource math with me - they LOVED it. A couple of kids kind of glazed over the information (which was important and interesting - like there was one sportsy game where if you listened to the 3-second explanation of how to do it right using math concepts, you would win. They just wanted to play the sportsy game and didn't care if they lost. Kids...) but even they had fun, and everyone else had fun seeing math be fun.

Thank you!
Now I'm wondering if it will be packed because of chol hamoed... I want to enjoy the exhibits peacefully😂

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 1:45 am
Hm, it's not the kind of place that can handle a big crowd gracefully, but I don't know how much it's made it onto the chol hamoed "map." The facility is not very big and because the exhibits are very hands-on there is a very limited number of people who can use them at a time. As of when I went, most of the exhibits could handle about 4 participants, some just 2, a couple could do more.

doctorima

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 10:39 pm
seeker wrote:
I was on their email list at one point but there were soooooo many things that were irrelevant that I started ignoring them until I got around to unsubscribing. Never saw any free days. Many paid events. Very many.

I'm on their email list. I do get several emails, but ignore/delete most. Each month they send out a list of events for that month, which I quickly skim. Lately, every couple of months or so, they'll announce that a certain date is free (for all, for grandparents and grandchildren, etc.).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics