Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Are you as tired of yom tov cuisine as I am?
Previous  1  2

Another mom

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 1:35 pm
DVOM wrote:
I'm totally with you OP! the way the holidays fell out this year it seems like all we've been doing is eating big meals since day camp ended!

We're by my parents for the second days, and even though my mom is a great cook I cant say I'm really looking forward to roasts and chicken and kugel...

Well, just sit back and enjoy the invitation! Not all of us are so lucky...

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 7:13 am
I love our yom tov food

slushiemom

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 8:34 am
Yup. Tomorrow's lunch with another family is a big cereal party, I bought like 6 different flavors and I'll make pancakes. (cereal was their request when I suggested a potluck meal)

srbmom

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 9:13 am
I am so jealous of all of you Sad
I have my in laws visiting and they are so obsessed with their "yom tov" meals. We "need" to have a roast and chicken dish at every meal. And this was over chol hamoed too - lunch and dinner!!!!! I made macaroni and pizza for my kids the past few days because we were completely uninterested.
But aside for eating it, it's the prepping, cooking and cleaning up too that is making me want to sit down and cry thinking about 3 more days of this.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 9:21 am
srbmom wrote:
I am so jealous of all of you Sad
I have my in laws visiting and they are so obsessed with their "yom tov" meals. We "need" to have a roast and chicken dish at every meal. And this was over chol hamoed too - lunch and dinner!!!!! I made macaroni and pizza for my kids the past few days because we were completely uninterested.
But aside for eating it, it's the prepping, cooking and cleaning up too that is making me want to sit down and cry thinking about 3 more days of this.

I'm so sorry for the pressure this is causing you! Hug I hope your in-laws are good company and can help with some of the work. Also don't feel pressured to use real dishes. The added washing after every meal can make all the pressure over the top.

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 9:25 am
I am going to miss yontiff. I love cooking and feeding yontiff food. I can't be the only one?

eschaya

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 9:41 am
Some of these meals sound so wonderful. I wish I could do that, but DH feels like it isnt yom tov if we don't have meat and/or chicken at each meal (not chol hamoed, thank goodness). And I don't leave on a flame or oven, so I get limited in the fresh dishes I can prepare (other than tons of salads).
I do easy things, but still, I'd so much prefer a good, light milchig meal.
At least it's another 6 months till the next round.

etky

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 9:53 am
Squishy wrote:
I am going to miss yontiff. I love cooking and feeding yontiff food. I can't be the only one?

Me too. But then we do have it easier here in Israel with fewer meals and probably fewer courses/dishes per meal, at least in my circles.
There are certain dishes and baked goods that I only make for chag and I look forward to making and serving (and eating) them. When chag is over that's it for at least another 6 months, until Pesach, or, in some cases, until next Tishrei.

animeme

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 1:22 pm
eschaya wrote:
Some of these meals sound so wonderful. I wish I could do that, but DH feels like it isnt yom tov if we don't have meat and/or chicken at each meal (not chol hamoed, thank goodness). And I don't leave on a flame or oven, so I get limited in the fresh dishes I can prepare (other than tons of salads).
I do easy things, but still, I'd so much prefer a good, light milchig meal.
At least it's another 6 months till the next round.

My dh holds the same, and for at least once each chol hamoed day. A salad bar that includes grilled chicken or sliced steak or deli cubes, all cold, fulfills the obligation and can make a nice meal. You can also do build-your-own sandwiches.

Shoshana37

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 2:01 pm
I agree with some of the posts. I prepare as I ago. We also think it should be meat at each meal so we do stuffed cabbage with meat, stuffed peppers with meat, stuffed grape leaves with meat that's already 3 different meals with meat. I only make ones roasted chicken. Then I make steak with baked potatoes. If you like chicken roasted so much just use different spices each time and be creative. You can do one dish every thing, chicken and big potatoes roasted together in the oven.
Then you can do BBQ chicken with vegetables. Etc . This way no one is tired of any meals and I make enough for each meal only as no one in my family likes left overs. So must be fresh each time and new dishes. Good luck!!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics