Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
RV-ing with family for a year
1  2  Next

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 7:47 pm
Would you do it with kids if the kids could home school and you could afford it? The idea is thrilling to me yet also intimidating at the same time. What an adventure. But "normal" would be thrown out the window...possibly never to be heard from again.

relish

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 7:52 pm
I would love to, but I'm concerned about them socially. I mean, they would miss out on stuff and friends.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 8:08 pm
try it for two weeks first and see if you aren't ready to kill each other

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 8:20 pm
Just make sure not to put it on cruise mode while speeding on 80.

I read an article about a guy who did this. The vehicle turned upside down while he was preparing a sandwich for himself. He sued. Guess what? It was not spelled out in the manual that you cannot do this and he won the case.

Enjoy your year. Stock up on some Tylenol. LOL

icebreaker

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 8:23 pm
No, probably not. I love my kids but those close quarters. Closer than we already are now? Nope lol. I’d do it for maybe a week.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 5:05 am
I would consult with other people who did this. There was an article, I think around the time of the eclipse, can't remember if it was in Mishpacha or Hamodia about someone who did this. I would track him down and talk to other people who've done this.
Hatzlacha! Sounds like you're pretty interesting people.

cm

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 6:14 am
I would be concerned about the environmental impact of using such an immense amount of fuel.

eimhabonim

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 6:29 am
I love the idea but think I might go nuts with the logistics. If you do it, your kids have to have what to do. You'll probably do a lot of outdoors activities like biking and hiking, so make sure your kids are good at these things beforehand. I think dealing with the total lifestyle change on top of teaching your kids a million new things could make anyone bonkers.

BetsyTacy

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 6:34 am
The frum family who rv-ed for a few years has a blog
lookbeforeyoulive.com. Read the details, especially all of the technical aspects of rving. It seems it requires tons of planning and plenty of mechanical skills!

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 6:36 am
amother wrote:
Just make sure not to put it on cruise mode while speeding on 80.

I read an article about a guy who did this. The vehicle turned upside down while he was preparing a sandwich for himself. He sued. Guess what? It was not spelled out in the manual that you cannot do this and he won the case.

Enjoy your year. Stock up on some Tylenol. LOL

I'll take Things that Never Happened for $1000, Alex.

No wonder many people think frivolous lawsuits are rampant.

Quote:
Check out this story, sent to me by a local woman who writes a consumer advocate newsletter. She includes the account in her latest edition, under the words “This is true,” to assure those who might wonder.

Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City bought a new Winnebago motor home, the newsletter says. While driving it home on the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 and went into the back to make coffee.

“Not surprisingly,” the newsletter says, “the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the owner’s manual that he couldn’t actually do this. The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new motor home,” and the company rewrote the manual “in case there were any other complete morons buying their recreational vehicles.”

Feeling outraged? Unsure if you are more angry at the “driver,” his lawyer, the jury, the judge or the entire legal system? Feeling sorry for the mistreated Winnebago company and ready to demand “tort reform?”

If so, you’ve been had, just like that consumer advocate and millions of people who fall for that story and others like it.

No such Winnebago lawsuit ever happened. It’s an urban legend. Yet that and many similarly outrageous and entertaining but fictional accounts of civil courts gone mad often appear together, in e-mail chain letters and such, presented as truth.

Those hyping the destructive myth that we are plagued by off-the-wall lawsuits have to love it that people are so gullible.

There are some real-life frivolous lawsuits, of course. And I suspect we hear about most, because they are such a treasure for reporters and columnists, not to mention business lobbyists.

But when you read about real ones, note how often they come from other states. That’s because absurd suits are scarce but so valued for their amusement and outrage value that they are mined everywhere and printed far and wide.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/n.....laims

cm

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 6:41 am
I am reminded of a Bloom County strip...can't find it now...anyone?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 6:47 am
amother wrote:
try it for two weeks first and see if you aren't ready to kill each other

Good idea.

I think it sounds amazing. Wish we could have done it, for vacations or for a longer period.

But I think its a good idea to try it out first before committing. Rent an RV, and take off for a couple of weeks. See if it suits you. Of course, longer term will have more issues. But you can see if you enjoy the lifestyle. If the campgrounds or RV parks are acceptable to you. See what amenities you need in the RV. Then you can start planning for longer term.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 6:52 am
SixOfWands wrote:
http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20050203/winnebago-driver-case-shows-truth-behind-frivolous-lawsuit-claims

I read it in a different article not online so cant post link. Details were somewhat changed.

Thanks for posting this.

cm

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 9:37 am
cm wrote:
I am reminded of a Bloom County strip...can't find it now...anyone?

Here it is!

http://www.gocomics.com/bloomc.....07/29

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 10:34 am
I spent over 3 months rving with my husband before kids. It wasn't hard for us, since there were only two. We mostly boondocked and traveled in MX exclusively. I can't imagine doing it with a family full of kids. There are quite a few blogs out there about families who live this way, it's not all postcards and new friends. It's emptying the blackwater tank safely and making sure you have fresh water and keeping your batteries charged and the high cost of fuels today. It means taking your kids to strange doctors when they have strep. It means no libraries! (Bone crushing for some readers.)

mommyhood

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 11:35 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I would consult with other people who did this. There was an article, I think around the time of the eclipse, can't remember if it was in Mishpacha or Hamodia about someone who did this. I would track him down and talk to other people who've done this.
Hatzlacha! Sounds like you're pretty interesting people.

It was in the Family First. Not something I would do but it sounded cool.
http://www.mishpacha.com/Brows.....-Road

Zehava

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 5:04 pm
One of those things that seem good in theory but I would never try for real.
It works for some though!

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 5:10 pm
I personally wouldn't but it sounds really cool. If I wasn't frum would consider it a lot more but probably still not for a year. I know frum pple did it. I would just find it hard.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 5:58 pm
Id love to do it for 2 months, not a full year.

I work in healthcare and I dream of taking a temporary position in a rural clinic in Montana.

samantha87

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 6:30 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I spent over 3 months rving with my husband before kids. It wasn't hard for us, since there were only two. We mostly boondocked and traveled in MX exclusively. I can't imagine doing it with a family full of kids. There are quite a few blogs out there about families who live this way, it's not all postcards and new friends. It's emptying the blackwater tank safely and making sure you have fresh water and keeping your batteries charged and the high cost of fuels today. It means taking your kids to strange doctors when they have strep. It means no libraries! (Bone crushing for some readers.)

Boondocked? Is that Mexican for back desserts?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics