Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Would you change your hair color using a shaitel?

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 4:07 pm
Would you change your hair color using a shaitel? I'm not talking about just a tad, I'm talking going two or three numbers over if not more.

In the non-Jewish world, it is common practice to dye your hair color. But on the other hand from what I spoke to my friends, they always try to get as close to their natural color as possible. I guess just in case some real hair shows. However, that can always be dyed.

If you would change your color, would you just move to one color or would you cycle?

If you would not change it, would it because of fashion reasons or tznius ones?

Thank you

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 4:22 pm
Neon blue, on Purim, mostly to see if I could get away with it with my skin tone. I'm giving slight consideration to getting highlights in that color family in my real hair- for me- and happily found a shade that I like.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 4:32 pm
Of course! I was a medium brown with hilights when I got married, and over the course of 10+ years my shaitels have gotten blonder and blonde. I'm now an unashamed blonde and love it. It makes wearing a snood difficult (I can't afford to dye my hair to match my wigs right now) but I love putting on my shaitel every day!

cnc

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 4:36 pm
I'm two shades darker than my original color (although by now my hair color is the same as my wig color).
I didn't go more than a shade / number darker at a time.
At this point I would look funny with a wig in my original color.

lavenderchimes

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 4:38 pm
I have wigs in four different colors. My natural hair is sort of a honey blonde color. My wigs are "salted caramel" (close-ish to my color,) a dark auburn, a brown with auburn highlights, and a very dark brown. I really enjoy being able to switch it up! My husband actually loves having colors un-like my hair;) And my Chabad rebitzen exclaims over how nice they are -- which means it's not a tznius problem by the Lubavitchers!

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 4:43 pm
I started out my color but with reddish highlights, then went super dark - almost black - now I've gone the other way to super light brown with blonde highlights. Working up my nerve to go totally blonde next sheitel purchase.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 5:45 pm
Probably the reason is because natural hair can take a lot more wear and tear than a sheitel. How many dye jobs can a sheitel get during its lifetime without looking worn out? If I'm not perfectly happy with the color, how quick will I be to redo it? (I certainly wouldn't replace it!)
Whereas with hair, I can go in shades. I can go a shade different, then another shade, then another until I'm happy.

nicole81

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 6:23 pm
I've gone to a much darker base with lighter highlights. I would have never thought of doing this if I didn't cover my hair; it came out of randomly trying on wigs for fun.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 7:15 pm
I have all colors besides very blonde and black. But have anything and everything in between. I love it!

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 7:21 pm
lavenderchimes wrote:
I have wigs in four different colors. My natural hair is sort of a honey blonde color. My wigs are "salted caramel" (close-ish to my color,) a dark auburn, a brown with auburn highlights, and a very dark brown. I really enjoy being able to switch it up! My husband actually loves having colors un-like my hair;) And my Chabad rebitzen exclaims over how nice they are -- which means it's not a tznius problem by the Lubavitchers!

Actually the Lubavitcher rebbe was very pro women wearing beautiful wigs... and that is the preferred way in Chabad. Differing colors of your wig is a non issue

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 7:38 pm
I definitely want to go a drop darker with my sheitel but I really wish I can find a good colorist to help me find a color that makes me look good. I see a lot of gay colorists who kbow the perfect haircolor for celebrities to look good. I wish I can find one bc it is hard for me to find a hair color for my sheitel that I am confident with.

Recently I tried different dyes on my old sheitel but it came out darker than looks on box. The problem is once you dye darker color
It is very hard to get it lighter. So I had to use a high lift a few times to get it lighter. Interestingly enough, I think I look good in the darker color but also look good in the lighter color thats close to my original hair color.

Im still looking for a "perfect color" dye but need colorist help. I recently bought a synthetic sheitel in a shade darker than my color and I look very good makes my skin glow but I cant seem to find that exact color in human hair sheitels bc colors are complicated. There is not just darker or lighter. There is warm tones, cool undertones.....too complicated for me.

Yes, I certainly am trying new /different colors.

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 8:35 pm
I love trying out different colors, lengths, textures, etc. I wear mostly synthetics so it's pretty easy and inexpensive to try new things. I also have used different styles of clip in bangs under my tichels. When I was newly married I tried out clip in highlights too. Not just blond, brown, or red... also pink, blue, green, etc. I clipped them into my sheitel a few layers in and combed them through to look more blended with the sheitel hair.

For me, hair covering is a difficult mitzvah, even after a few years of marriage. I miss wearing my real hair out. So playing around with different styles makes it easier and more enjoyable for me.

lavenderchimes

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 9:19 pm
amother wrote:
Actually the Lubavitcher rebbe was very pro women wearing beautiful wigs... and that is the preferred way in Chabad. Differing colors of your wig is a non issue

Exactly! And since by them the main point of wearing a sheitl (as opposed to tichel etc.) is so that None of your hair is exposed, there is no issue that your normal haircolor doesn't match! Smile

lavenderchimes

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 9:21 pm
Kiwi, I never yet thought of putting bangs under a tichel! How clever!

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 12:56 am
lavenderchimes wrote:
Kiwi, I never yet thought of putting bangs under a tichel! How clever!

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics