Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
What did you gain from yontiff (and I don't mean weight)
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 9:08 am
Sometimes it's ok to be tired and busy with the kids. Just live, don't try to gain. Do make sure to have a couple cool things for the kids AND YOU.

tichellady

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 9:36 am
We had a beautiful yomtov. Lots of time with our families and friends, and some alone time for me and my husband. We don’t have kids and we are a lot of meals out which are two factors that I think made it less tiring for us. I love my shul and they had great programming over yomtov

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 10:01 am
amother wrote:
Every year it's the same. Hoping to gain something spiritual out of the chag, but it still just comes down to all the shopping , cooking, cooking more, breaking up fights etc. I probably could escape for a shiur, but I have no interest. If I have a free moment, I just want to sit and do nothing and catch my breath.
Those of you who actually FEEL the chag, how do you do it??!!!

My kids are older. And even so, it's been a major marathon.
I would say, to anyone who had a few moments, who seriously thought of changes she wants to implement or maintain from Elul/Tishrei, and for everyone else, I highly recommend Rebbetzin Shira Smiles's shiur on parashas Noach, Galvanizing Greatness, which will be available later this week on yutorah.org and TorahAnytime.

I hope to read the rest of the thread later beH

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 11:01 am
If you stop to think about it, there is probably some part of the holidays that really resonates with you. It might help to focus on that one aspect. Personally, I love every moment in the sukkah, and I always find the moment when we finish reading the Torah and start over to be profoundly moving. Sometimes I need to remind myself of why we're doing all these things throughout the season, and sometimes my head just isn't in it, but overall it's a good experience.

Yes, holidays can be hard, especially when working in the non-Jewish world with everything going full steam ahead while you're taking days off and are very busy at home. We keep our meals nice but *very* simple, spend lots of time with friends and family, and are part of a low-key community. We are MO, and there are opportunities for women to celebrate, teach and learn together on Simchat Torah, which makes a big difference, IMO.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 11:24 am
Grew upVERY lite MO and basically there was no difference except the mechitza height Tongue Out

etky

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 12:05 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Grew upVERY lite MO and basically there was no difference except the mechitza height Tongue Out

Because things have changed a great deal since then in the MO world- even over the past decade or so.
My Simchat Trah now scarcely resembles the holiday that it was just ten years ago and I'm very grateful for that.

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 12:18 pm
I have serious let YT let down. I miss them already.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 12:20 pm
Well mine is basically/fully identical, and I am most thankful.

etky

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 12:43 pm
Squishy wrote:
I have serious let YT let down. I miss them already.

Me too.
Yes, it was indeed a major cooking/hosting marathon and I am thoroughly exhausted and unfortunately ill from the effort of it, but I did get in lots of davening which becomes more and more meaningful to me as I get older.
I basically divided my time between the kitchen and shul this chag. I even managed to go on some days of chol hamoed this year.
I love both cooking and davening: too bad that the cooking, unlike the davening, gets harder as I get older. My body literally aches at the end of the day, I guess from being on my feet and maybe from bending over the sink/counter/stove.
I think I need a sous-chef Rolling Eyes

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 1:02 pm
This is the first Tishrei in a decade where I didn't get yelled at before, during, and after each holiday about what I was doing wrong.

It was everything that I dreamed Tishrei could be.

Whoever said that money can't buy happiness never saw me pay my divorce lawyer!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 2:40 pm
amother wrote:
This is the first Tishrei in a decade where I didn't get yelled at before, during, and after each holiday about what I was doing wrong.

It was everything that I dreamed Tishrei could be.

Whoever said that money can't buy happiness never saw me pay my divorce lawyer!

Cheers to new beginnings and may you carry over all the positives you experienced this Tishrei into the coming you.

Petra

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 2:53 pm
I learned to just cook on yontif this year and we went much more simple this year than previous. My appreciation for the community I live in is renewed. I had some nice quality time at shul and with kids.

Zehava

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 3:25 pm
I gained a new appreciation for how much I can do and learned that I may after all be a decent cook. I never cooked this much for this many people and it was actually fun some of the time.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 4:10 pm
I davened very hard for one of my children's success, both socially and academically, by neilah of Yom Kippur. My older children made it possible for me to go to shul at that time, because we agreed my tefillos would be the most beneficial for our family. Over succos, we saw an inexplicable change in the attitude, social skills, and desire for learning in said child. We are praising Hashem for His kindness, revealed so quickly during our yemei Simcha. It felt like a comforting hug, and deeply spiritual validation.

It was a marathon of cooking, cleaning, hosting, and entertaining little children for me too. But the treasure gained was in the ever growing closeness to my Totty, and the overwhelming gratitude to Him for older children mature enough to give up their neilah for their mother's prayers, and the hope He has given us for our beautiful son/brother.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 4:13 pm
And by the way, thank you for starting this thread so I could use it as an opportunity to thank Hashem somewhat publicly.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 7:56 pm
We moved to a new community and this is the first time in years that I felt no connection in simchas Torah. For me simchas Torah used to be the spiritual boost for the year. I was so disappointed this year that I didn't have that. Yes I had great company but for me simchas Torah is the high light when the men are dancing and singing my whole inner being is involved but this year I didn't have it and I'm missing it and I'm in pain about it. I can't think how I can gain it now Sad

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 8:58 pm
I gained a whole lot more appreciation for my toddlers amazing teachers who put up with him every single day!

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 9:15 pm
Watching multiple generations of families, both mine and others, dancing with one another and with Sifrei Torah, to me is more elevating spiritually than 1000s of the best Shiurim.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 3:49 am
I learnt not to spend yom tov again with my mil. I wish she would know how to host her children.
Am curious if anyone can second me.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 6:09 am
amother wrote:
I learnt not to spend yom tov again with my mil. I wish she would know how to host her children.
Am curious if anyone can second me.

If you could tell her what to do differently, so that youd enjoy spending time with her, what would you tell her? And will you do what youd like her to do, when youre her age when you have the kids over?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics