Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Serving Family Style and Quantities
Previous  1  2

tichellady

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:
Just read through this again. If I use 100 leg quarters and separate the drumsticks and thighs then we'll have 200 pieces. Do I really need that much for 100 people?

Regarding the lettuce salad; last time I made a sheva brachos we were left with so much salad that I don't know anymore. It was a good salad but there's so much food that not everything gets eaten and salad can't really be re-purposed or frozen so it just ends up in the bin.

Yes you need that much chicken.
Can you make a salad that keeps better? Like an Israeli salad or kale salad?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 7:32 am
If you don't want to serve lettuce salad make cole slaw and cucumber salad and corn salad that keep well.
Like others have said, you will have leftovers of the chicken and rice but it's not worthwhile to skimp on the quantity. You need to have enough to serve your 100 guests.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 9:48 am
Lots of people don't like dark meat. If you are serving chicken, consider whole chickens cut in 8, and assume 1/4 chicken per person. Or just buy breasts and thighs, and have 1 and a half to two per person.

Also, if you are worried about waste, there are organizations that collect leftover food to distribute. Be in touch with them before the simcha and arrange for a pickup.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 10:02 am
amother wrote:
Lots of people don't like dark meat.

Never noticed

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 11:15 am
Depending on your kugel/muffin that might be partially considered a starch. For my Bar Mitzvah I plated the chicken/meat, Rice and vegetable but put kugel, muffins and salads in the middle. Still had tons of left overs.

shanie5

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 8:04 pm
amother wrote:
Lots of people don't like dark meat. If you are serving chicken, consider whole chickens cut in 8, and assume 1/4 chicken per person. Or just buy breasts and thighs, and have 1 and a half to two per person.

Also, if you are worried about waste, there are organizations that collect leftover food to distribute. Be in touch with them before the simcha and arrange for a pickup.

More people prefer the dark meat over the light meat. But there are those who dont eat the dark meat too.

cbg

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 9:09 pm
amother wrote:

I would do whole chicken cut in 10. The breast is very big and should be split in 1/2.
If you are going to serve roast, calculate 1/4lb per person.
If not-
You could do meatballs. The sauce would be nice with the rice, also 1/4lb per person

If you are ONLY doing chicken you have to calculate 1/4 per person.
If you are doing meat and chicken calculate 1/8 (chicken) per person, but you can't count the wings as a portion.

I agree to do salads that are not lettuce based. They hold up longer.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days