Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Early breast buds
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 4:28 am
You will NOT stop growing because you have breasts. I reached 5'10 years after my period,much more even after development.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 1:42 pm
Ruchel wrote:
You will NOT stop growing because you have breasts. I reached 5'10 years after my period,much more even after development.

Not right away, but if girls, on average, continue to grow until the age of 18, if they mature early, they will likely stop growing sooner.

When my daughter began developing breast buds at around 7-8, we were told she would probably get her period at 9. Neither of us was ready for that. Plus, the endocrinologist told us she wouldn't reach her full growth potential.

We elected to go the hormone route, and she had a Supprelin implant inserted 3 times over 3 years. We had the last one removed a few months before her 12th birthday. She's now 12-1/2 and hasn't gotten her period yet, but it's imminent. And she's ready for it now.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 1:52 pm
amother wrote:
Not right away, but if girls, on average, continue to grow until the age of 18, if they mature early, they will likely stop growing sooner.

When my daughter began developing breast buds at around 7-8, we were told she would probably get her period at 9. Neither of us was ready for that. Plus, the endocrinologist told us she wouldn't reach her full growth potential.

We elected to go the hormone route, and she had a Supprelin implant inserted 3 times over 3 years. We had the last one removed a few months before her 12th birthday. She's now 12-1/2 and hasn't gotten her period yet, but it's imminent. And she's ready for it now.

This was my experience but we chose the Lupron monthly injections. I wanted to monitor and make a month by month basis. We started when she was 9 until 11 1/2. Now shes just aboit 12, expecting her period iminently, and emotionally capable of having it. Without the Lupron, she would have gotten her period in 3rd grade.
Of course im not thrilled about the hormones, and I worry. But with everything as was, I feel strongly I made the right choice. Period at 9, in 3rd grade with her class and her emotional makeup would have destroyed her.
Annon obviously because its my daughters privacy involved.

exhausted

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 2:45 pm
My daughter started developing breasts at about 8 years old and got her period at 9 1/2. She definitely grew since then, alot. She was never on any hormones.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 2:53 pm
exhausted wrote:
My daughter started developing breasts at about 8 years old and got her period at 9 1/2. She definitely grew since then, alot. She was never on any hormones.

My sister is a pediatrician. She says that when girls get their period young, it isn't always regular. In a month where they skip their period, they often grow.

In general, though, growth tends to slow down once a girl gets her period, especially if it's regular.

My girls both had big growth spurts from the time they started developing breasts until they got their periods...and since then, they have slowed down to practically nothing. However they got their periods in their teens.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 2:37 pm
update: I took her today for her appt at the pediatric endo . I asked the dr before we got in the room to please wait to discuss until she is done exam and my daughter can go back to waiting room. bh she was very cooperative. basically she is not too concerned considering she is almost 8 and also the fact that she thinks its mostly fat and not breat tissue. she has no other signs of puberty so wouldn't put her on anything anyways. she doesnt think she will get her period for ay least a year or 2 considering that she hasnt had a big growth spurt or pubic or underarm hair. she said if I was overly concerned ( which im not after talking w the dr), she can send me for bloodwork and bone xray but for now just keep an eye on her and try and get her weight down.
thanks everyone who encouraged me to go. I feel better about the whole thing.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 2:52 pm
So glad things went well. Thanks for updating us! Wishing you continued Hatzlacha.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 2:53 pm
Chayalle wrote:
So glad things went well. Thanks for updating us! Wishing you continued Hatzlacha.

thank you for your kind words. you are a lot of the reason I pushed myself to go

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 3:00 pm
Happy to hear that everything is OK, just wondering how you told your daughter about this exam. Did she find it intrusive or is she still too young for that?

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 3:19 pm
amother wrote:
Happy to hear that everything is OK, just wondering how you told your daughter about this exam. Did she find it intrusive or is she still too young for that?

actually she was blissfully unaware thankfully. that was my biggest concern. I told her it was a well visit and they did a physical exam of her which she has had at the pediatrician. we went for a special lunch date after so that helped too Wink

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 3:31 pm
amother wrote:
actually she was blissfully unaware thankfully. that was my biggest concern. I told her it was a well visit and they did a physical exam of her which she has had at the pediatrician. we went for a special lunch date after so that helped too Wink

I'm assuming you're American, I'm European. So in the US kids have this kind of thorough check up every year?

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 3:33 pm
amother wrote:
I'm assuming you're American, I'm European. So in the US kids have this kind of thorough check up every year?

yes. a physical exam is something they get once a year here.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 3:35 pm
amother wrote:
yes. a physical exam is something they get once a year here.

Wow. The kids don't kick up a fuss?

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 5:50 pm
amother wrote:

How often does one get a well checkup in Europe?
Here in America schools won’t allow children in without a medical form filled out no dr would agree to fill it out without an exam unless the kid had had a recent exam

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 6:25 pm
amother wrote:
Wow. The kids don't kick up a fuss?

no. they dont mind it until it comes to shots lol.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 6:27 pm
My friends got bras in 4th-7th grade.
I happen to be Russian descendent if it matters (they are usually more busty.)
My mother and I got a bra when were in fourth grade. (That's at like ten years old.) We got our periods at like 11 1/2. I have a relative that got her period at 8.
But you should go check it out and don't play around with hormonal therapy because you can mess her up ask a doctor and a rav for a bracha.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 4:51 am
Wow, yearly exam?!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics