Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Close Friend's Kids are Always Outside Alone
Previous  1  2

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 2:12 pm
One of mine is a real Houdini, so I definitely understand how hard it is to have a kid like that. The unexpected sometimes happens despite one's best efforts and I hope I don't get judged when my kid gets around the latest hack I've tried. If you haven't dealt with a Houdini child, you really don't know what it's like. That said, this mother isn't putting in even the most basic effort and that's not ok. When you have a kid like this, you have to put on locks (complicated ones that are hard for even most adults to figure out), put them high up, out for reach even if the kid uses a stepstool, and, frankly, you have to accept that this type simply needs a lot more supervision than other children until they stop bolting every time you turn around. Yes, it's hard, but is your precious child's safety worth any less? I'd talk to the mother. Nicely, as nonjudgmentally as you can, but still bring across the concern. If she brushes you off, you should get the authorities involved. Sorry, but this is pikuach nefesh here.

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 2:23 pm
Don't know if the mom will use something like this but it's really helpful for stopping a child from running away:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 2:26 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
Don't know if the mom will use something like this but it's really helpful for stopping a child from running away:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1

Walking harnesses work for walking, it is unsafe to tether a child in the home.

ETA: I've raised 3 Houdinis.

Last edited by MagentaYenta on Mon, Oct 16 2017, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 2:28 pm
https://www.houdinistop.com/

cbsp

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 6:23 pm
Would this help?

http://sleepsafebed.com/produc.....-bed/

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 6:54 pm
Oh gosh!

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 9:46 pm
My sis in law was like this. Her toddler ran away from home and crossed a busy street. Someone called the police once and she was apologetic and they were very understanding. Then it happened again, and someone again called the police. This time, they very firmly told her she had better get a lock on her door and watch her kid or they will take him away. She got a lock. Never happened again after that. Some nuts need to hear from the cops.

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 9:50 pm
amother wrote:
My sis in law was like this. Her toddler ran away from home and crossed a busy street. Someone called the police once and she was apologetic and they were very understanding. Then it happened again, and someone again called the police. This time, they very firmly told her she had better get a lock on her door and watch her kid or they will take him away. She got a lock. Never happened again after that. Some nuts need to hear from the cops.

I wish someone would call the police. I don't want my neighbor in trouble. I want these kids off the pavement.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 9:55 pm
My older child once ran out of the house when I went to the next room with the cleaning lady in the same room as him. When he ran out the door she didn't stop him. I came out a minute later and asked her where my son was and she just shrugged her shoulders. The door was wide open! (the cleaning lady opened it to put the trash out and didn't bother closing it afterwards.) I ran out the door and found my son nearly down the block.

My younger child opened up the door himself and ran out of the house one morning when I was still asleep. He dragged a chair over to the door and opened both locks. Thankfully one of my neighbors brought him back before he could my front gate open. We then installed a lock at the very top of the door. We close this lock before going to sleep or if taking a shower without another adult in the house. If he figures that one out we'll have to get a lock that needs a key from the inside too and hide that key really well.

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 10:01 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Walking harnesses work for walking, it is unsafe to tether a child in the home.

ETA: I've raised 3 Houdinis.

Thank you; of course I was suggesting it for its proper use. A child who runs out of the home probably is also likely to run away when walking outside.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 3:01 am
Squishy wrote:
I wish someone would call the police. I don't want my neighbor in trouble. I want these kids off the pavement.

T

That "someone" could very much be you. If you want something to be done then do it yourself.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics