Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Source for not opening others' mail?

water_bear88

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 4:40 pm
I know it's one of Rabbeinu Gershon's gezeirot. The detail I'm wondering about is until what age can a parent open their minor child's mail. (I'm not bothering a rav now to ask whether I can open mail from Bituach Leumi or the kupat cholim that's addressed to my child who can't read yet, so please don't bash!)

Boca00

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 4:48 pm
I think you'll find this helpful:

https://torah.org/learning/bus.....no17/

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 8:08 pm
Boca00 wrote:
I think you'll find this helpful:

https://torah.org/learning/bus.....no17/

I find 4D hugely problematic. It basically allows someone to decide it's ok to violate a person's privacy if "doing so will help the person [whose] privacy is being invaded, or others, in a physical or spiritual manner."

Who is to decide what help someone needs? I think it gives people an excuse to justify eavesdropping. What if someone doesn't want someone else's help and would be horrified and mortified if they found out that people were violating them in such a manner? The examples they give are of children, but the rule applies to the PERSON I.e. this could include a grown up. I realize that the OP was specifically talking about mail and specifically about minors, but I think this could be interpreted very liberally when defining "help" that someone needs.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 10:27 pm
It is actually a federal crime to open other people's mail.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 11:48 pm
http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/2015/11/

Rabbi Moshe taub talks about confidentiality in Halacha, and about mail.
I think he will answer your questions.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 1:55 am
Somone opened my mail all my bills etc I was very upset at that point... its not a matter to be taken lightly..

water_bear88

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 3:11 am
amother wrote:
Somone opened my mail all my bills etc I was very upset at that point... its not a matter to be taken lightly..

Absolutely! I've had mail opened, albeit mistakenly, by neighbors to whom it was misdelivered, and it made me very uncomfortable. (Apparently dyslexia is no barrier to employment at the post office Twisted Evil)

But as far as intentional opening of one's child's mail goes, there must be a boundary somewhere. Opening mail from the kupat cholim about having transferred my 6-month-old to a higher-level health insurance plan is obviously ok- really, it's just cutesy and silly IMO that they even address it directly to babies.

Opening your 24-year-old's mail is almost certainly not ok, barring explicit permission or legally-defined mental incapacity on their part.

Legally (in Israel) and halachically, I think by 12 or so it's best to get permission. I'd like a halachic source for that, though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions