Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
GED in person or online?

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 6:38 pm
My ds would like to go to college and he doesn't have a high school diploma.
He did some Googling and found he needs to study for a GED and pass a test (?) before he can apply to college.

He asked me to confirm the steps he needs to take to get from here to there. Can someone help me? We're in Marine Park (high numbers) and he'd like to stay in the area or else do it online. Thanks!

zzzz

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 6:45 pm
What was once the ged is now the TASC. You can get more info at
http://www.tasctest.com/phone/index.html
There are plenty of self study prep books in the public library or to purchase online.

zzzz

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 6:46 pm
On that site you should be able to find an option to apply for the test and choose a preferred location to take it at

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 6:16 am
Thank you for the info. I wasn't aware the ged was changed to task.
I looked at the site you linked. It looks like this is a self-study project. Was that the case with the ged as well?
Is there an option of joining a study class in person?

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 6:17 am
Ds is predominantly Yidish speaking and he would require help translating etc. Is there a group geared for Yidish speaking?

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:34 am
Touro has a program. They offer both classes and online. Also, if, say, he's very strong in math but needs help with English, he can go to just the English classes and study math himself, it's not all or nothing.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 8:34 am
My son went to Touro for his ged.
They have a location in BP and Flatbush.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 9:28 am
amother wrote:
My son went to Touro for his ged.
They have a location in BP and Flatbush.

My son prefers a non-Jewish program. Is there anything like that in the vicinity, or is Touro the only option around here?

watergirl

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 10:08 am
amother wrote:
My son prefers a non-Jewish program. Is there anything like that in the vicinity, or is Touro the only option around here?

Are you sure that you and your son are on the same page regarding the type of program that he wants? You asked if there are any programs that are predominantly yiddish speaking, and then one post later, you said that he wants a non jewish program.

Your best bet, especially if yiddish is the language that he feels the most comfortable with, and yet he is looking into college, an ESL ged class may be the best way to go. He needs to become proficient in English.

I would clarify with your son what he wants.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 10:28 am
amother wrote:

Kingsboro community college has a GED program

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 10:54 am
watergirl wrote:
Are you sure that you and your son are on the same page regarding the type of program that he wants? You asked if there are any programs that are predominantly yiddish speaking, and then one post later, you said that he wants a non jewish program.

Your best bet, especially if yiddish is the language that he feels the most comfortable with, and yet he is looking into college, an ESL ged class may be the best way to go. He needs to become proficient in English.

I would clarify with your son what he wants.

He is predominantly yidish speaking. After reading the initial responses here I told him about the option of going to Touro. He said he would rather go to a non-Jewish place. I have no vested interest one way or the other. I read the responses here and share them with my son. I get his response, then come back for more :-)

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 10:54 am
amother wrote:
Kingsboro community college has a GED program

Thanks! I will pass this info on.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 9:17 am
OP I saw sign in the door on 45th street and 13th ave (machon l'parnasa) that they have free high school diploma equivalency classes.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 9:20 am
amother wrote:
He is predominantly yidish speaking. After reading the initial responses here I told him about the option of going to Touro. He said he would rather go to a non-Jewish place. I have no vested interest one way or the other. I read the responses here and share them with my son. I get his response, then come back for more :-)

Touro SLE (13 and 53) has an excellent program . Not all the students are Jewish.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 9:28 am
amother wrote:
Ds is predominantly Yidish speaking and he would require help translating etc. Is there a group geared for Yidish speaking?

He has to be proficient in English to be able to pass GED well. I took it about 13 years ago and besides for the math section it was all reading and answering essay type questions (would be several paragraphs with information and then several questions on the reading, so you didn't need to know things like history as much as you needed to be able to understand what you were reading and to get the information from there). Back when I took it there was also an option of enrolling in community college and after completing 24 credits you automatically earned your GED. The college I went to had an option for English as a second language that many were required to take before taking real college classes. It sounds like he'd really benefit from something like that. I don't know if that is still an option. I don't have any info on prep courses. I passed high school and didn't study for the GED. Good luck!

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 9:44 am
I took the TASC several years ago. A word of caution: it's said to be harder than the GED. There are lots of open-ended questions, common core style.

I bought the practice book on Amazon and took the tests. I don't believe they have an online option. They offer the tests on location in two versions, paper and computerized.

I often see HSE prep help advertised at the Brooklyn Public Library. Maybe you can take a look there.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 9:49 am
amother wrote:
My ds would like to go to college and he doesn't have a high school diploma.
He did some Googling and found he needs to study for a GED and pass a test (?) before he can apply to college.

He asked me to confirm the steps he needs to take to get from here to there. Can someone help me? We're in Marine Park (high numbers) and he'd like to stay in the area or else do it online. Thanks!

Go to the nearest public library. They should be able to guide you to the nearest GED program.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 10:51 am
amother wrote:
I took the TASC several years ago. A word of caution: it's said to be harder than the GED. There are lots of open-ended questions, common core style.

I bought the practice book on Amazon and took the tests. I don't believe they have an online option. They offer the tests on location in two versions, paper and computerized.

I often see HSE prep help advertised at the Brooklyn Public Library. Maybe you can take a look there.

(Op- I hope you don’t mind me chiming in. Please let me know if you do and I Iike the way you’re supporting your ds and helping him reach his goals.)

I’d like to take the TASC the soonest possible so that I can go ahead with my studying and obtain degree. I ordered the Kaplan study prep book and I’m wondering how exactly tog o about preparing for the test. Do I read through the book and sort of study the parts I’m not familiar with? And at what point do I know that I’m ready for the test? All and any pointers would be greatly appreciated! Tia
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics