Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Car Seat for 5 Year Old
1  2  Next

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 4:31 pm
We need a new car seat for our 5 year old as she's outgrowing the one that we have. The straps don't extend any longer.
We're not in the car that much. I'd prefer under $100.
Any recommendations?
Or is she ready for the full back booster seat from her sister? It's in pristine condition but I need to check the manufactured date as it could be it's been 6 years already. We can buy another one if that's what she's ready for.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 4:44 pm
You can find great booster seats for $25. A 5 year old is ready for it especially if you're not in the car often.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 4:45 pm
I think her height and weight can work in a booster.
How's this?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1
But if someone has a recommendation for a full more secure car seat that she can fit into for another 2 years, please let me know.

CDL

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 4:58 pm
40 lbs and she can switch to a booster

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 7:45 pm
I am a stickler for car seat safety. I can't cite specific research for you because the way I do these things is I read a ton, formulate a conclusion, and then forget all the details once I got my answer. But I believe that at this age/stage, there is no advantage to buying a new car seat rather than transitioning to a booster. I guess if there is some kind of behavioral or developmental issue that would make the child unable to sit nicely in a booster, they would need the additional restraint provided by a car seat. But otherwise you'll be fine with a booster.

I have this one https://www.amazon.com/Evenflo.....;th=1 The price was right and it's working out fine. My one issue is that it's supposedly convertible to backless use, but whenever I use it without the back (which I do for convenience when we're going into someone else's car. The back isn't that important especially for a shorter ride with a child who knows how to sit reasonably straightish) DD complains that she can feel the place where the back attaches and it's uncomfortable over there. So I may look for something different for next DD, who is ready to graduate (she still technically fits in her car seat, but the crotch strap is definitely getting uncomfortable when she's wearing fuller skirts, including her pleated uniform. So that's something to consider before buying another car seat!)

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 8:32 pm
Thank you so much seeker! I appreciate the information.

Older dd had a removable back booster too, but she has a slighter build and used it with the back all the way through. We never end up separating the pieces.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 8:33 pm
Does anyone know what the latch system is? Does it mean it's secured better to the seat in the car?

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 9:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Does anyone know what the latch system is? Does it mean it's secured better to the seat in the car?

It's when the car seat comes with little clips on the back that hook securely onto hidden hooks on the seat of your car, making installation easier.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 9:17 pm
Except that a booster seat doesn't need to be installed. Its function is to position the child/seatbelt properly in relation to each other. The latches would just help hold the seat in place. I have not found that to be an issue for me but I could see it being helpful if you plan to always keep the booster seat in the same place.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 10:35 pm
Thanks so much daagahminayin and seeker!

little_mage

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 6:48 am
I don't remember exactly what it is, but we got a high backed booster that still has a five point harness for my oldest. It was made by the Cosco company.

observer

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:01 am
My 5 year old is in a 5 point harness, the type that looks more like a high back booster but has the harness.

Graco Nautilus, Graco Argos, Graco Atlas, Britax Frontier or Pioneer

This one is $87 at the moment:
Graco Atlas 65

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:17 am
There are two different types of boosters:

1. Uses a standard seat belt
2. Has a five-point harness system

The five-point harness system can be safe for a five-year-old, but the seat belt one is risky because of where the belt will typically hit a child of that age. Most children that age will not be able to have the belt lay flatly on their thighs; it will hit the mid-section instead. In that, risk of internal injury upon impact is extremely high. A hard hit and internal organs can rupture and kill a child, lo aleinu.

If the child is the size of an typical 8-year-old, the seat belt will probably lie flat on his/her thighs, and then would be safe.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:30 am
observer wrote:
My 5 year old is in a 5 point harness, the type that looks more like a high back booster but has the harness.

Graco Nautilus, Graco Argos, Graco Atlas, Britax Frontier or Pioneer

This one is $87 at the moment:
Graco Atlas 65

I thought we had something like this which she has been using for a few years, but it has become really tight and we're unable to extend the straps any longer. Unless we just don't know what we're doing. Smile

But now that I'm looking at your link again, is the one you posted a 5 point harness that later converts to a high back booster? I don't think ours converts into a booster.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:39 am
amother wrote:
There are two different types of boosters:

1. Uses a standard seat belt
2. Has a five-point harness system

The five-point harness system can be safe for a five-year-old, but the seat belt one is risky because of where the belt will typically hit a child of that age. Most children that age will not be able to have the belt lay flatly on their thighs; it will hit the mid-section instead. In that, risk of internal injury upon impact is extremely high. A hard hit and internal organs can rupture and kill a child, lo aleinu.

If the child is the size of an typical 8-year-old, the seat belt will probably lie flat on his/her thighs, and then would be safe.

Actually, the exact point of a booster seat is to position the belt and child properly. The problem you describe is what happens if a child *doesn't* use a booster seat. The booster seat both raises the child and guides the seatbelt so that it lies on their thighs and crosses the shoulder as it's supposed to.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:50 am
Here are some helpful articles from very reputable sources:

https://csftl.org/harness-or-b.....itch/
(TLDR: main issue with booster is if kid can't sit nicely. Properly used booster is not less safe than harness.)

http://thecarseatlady.com/when.....seat/

The seat linked above converts from a 5-point harness to a booster. But check to see if you will actually gain more from it - see if the torso height for the harness is actually significantly higher than what you have now. A site like CSFTL might have reviews with these specifics - the product info from the car seat manufacturer often skips details like that.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:50 am
seeker wrote:
Actually, the exact point of a booster seat is to position the belt and child properly. The problem you describe is what happens if a child *doesn't* use a booster seat. The booster seat both raises the child and guides the seatbelt so that it lies on their thighs and crosses the shoulder as it's supposed to.

Amother may be referring to booster bottom, without a high back that has a loop to position the seat belt in the right spot over the child.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:52 am
The backless boosters provide the same function. For some you may need to use this little strap thing in back to help with the shoulder strap, which is less convenient. It is not less safe. The main advantage of the back is that it helps guide the child to sit up properly, gives them something to lean on without getting out of position, and could be more comfortable.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:53 am
Not all types of boosters are belt-positioning, thereby causing the belt to lie on the upper thighs and across the chest instead of neck. It depends on the make.

observer

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 10:03 am
ra_mom wrote:
I thought we had something like this which she has been using for a few years, but it has become really tight and we're unable to extend the straps any longer. Unless we just don't know what we're doing. Smile

But now that I'm looking at your link again, is the one you posted a 5 point harness that later converts to a high back booster? I don't think ours converts into a booster.

Yes, these can convert to a high back booster.

Also, if you get one with a higher weight limit, the straps would probably extend more to fit an older child, as that is what it is designed for.

Some of the ones I mentioned earlier go up to 65, 70, and even 85 lb.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers