Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Reasonable amount for furniture?
1  2  Next

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 7:34 pm
A bit of backstory: We baruch Hashem moved to a bigger house, with more space for our ka"h large family. We never had much furniture over the years, but in our previous space the kids were smaller and we somehow made it work. Also some of our (low quality) stuff was ruined in the move.

I am not handy, and neither is DH. Putting together Ikea or Walmart is the extent of our abilities. I like reading Ana White but it's not at all realistic. Even the thought of painting, sanding, or staining make me nervous.

Craigslist pickings are pretty weak here, you need to drive a while to find things and we have transportation issues.

So I have been getting more and more stressed about this, clothes are in laundry baskets or crates that get dumped all the time, toys a total balagan, kids are in outgrown toddler beds, mattresses on the floor, etc. and I feel like I can't live like this anymore!

We do not have much money to do anything about this, but I am at the point where I will borrow for my sanity.

(End backstory)

My question is, how much is reasonable for furnishing a house?
- Bookcases (8)
- Mattresses (3)
- Bunkbed
- Dressers (6)
- Microwave cart
- New stove (broken)
- New fridge
- New pots (I have nonstick with half the coating scraped off, yes I know it's dangerous)
- Desks (3+)
- Shelves so I can buy food in bulk
- Toy storage
- Outdoor trash cans
- Rug
- Picture frames
- Small miscellaneous things (pantry door storage, clips to hang broom, heater for poorly insulated room, lock for bedroom door, etc.)

I think I can get everything for about $5,000 (Ikea, Walmart, Amazon) but that amount is pretty scary! I'm looking for opinions, is that a reasonable amount to spend on furniture?

cnc

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 7:39 pm
That sounds low to me for everything that you included.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 7:50 pm
For $5,000 you can get maybe 3 things on the list. If you want everything I would say more like $10,000-$15,000. Maybe fist get only the important stuff like beds, oven & fridge.
Desks, picture frames, rugs... are not a must. You can get those as time goes on.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 7:51 pm
It sounds reasonable for the stores that you mentioned, keeping in mind that there's a lot of assembly work involved. But start with 2 essential items first. I can't even imagine how much stress it would be to have so many huge boxes of furniture sitting around waiting to be assembled. It's a big job that should be taken in baby steps. And if you see the items are not getting assembled you need to slow down on the purchasing.
Good luck with customizing your new home! May you have lots of happiness and mazel there.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 8:08 pm
amother wrote:

My question is, how much is reasonable for furnishing a house?
- Bookcases (8)*250
- Mattresses (3)*100
- Bunkbed*500
- Dressers (6)
- Microwave cart*60
- New stove (broken)*600
- New fridge*800
- New pots (I have nonstick with half the coating scraped off, yes I know it's dangerous)75
- Desks (3+)150
- Shelves so I can buy food in bulk 100
- Toy storage
- Outdoor trash cans 30
- Rug 80
- Picture frames
- Small miscellaneous things (pantry door storage, clips to hang broom, heater for poorly insulated room, lock for bedroom door, etc.)

I think I can get everything for about $5,000 (Ikea, Walmart, Amazon) but that amount is pretty scary! I'm looking for opinions, is that a reasonable amount to spend on furniture?

We are in a similar situation. We moved recently and had to buy a lot of new stuff. The numbers are what we personally paid. You may pay more or less depending on what you're looking for.

I bought mattresses for $100 each on Amazon. They're called linenspa. They're thin but work for us for bunkbeds.

I paid $250 each for 8foot bookcases on hayneedle.com.

For dressers I would not buy new because good quality dressers are very expensive and cheaper ones fall apart. I bought used bedroom sets, and until I coukd find I used plastic drawers. Alternatively you can use the plastic until you save up enough for a good new one.

It's been a while since I bought new dishes but some pots and pans are nothing compared to the rest of your list.,

I paid $250 For a wooden desk but there are definitely cheaper options available.

So, I don't think $5000 For your whole list is crazy if you shop wisely. I agree with the poster who said to prioritize and buy the most essential items now and the rest to buy slowly over time. Look at your house as a work in progress and enjoy each step as it comes.

sneakermom

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 8:19 pm
For me the oven, mattresses, plastic drawers, cheap bookcases, some sort of shelves would be first priority.

Every kid should have a bed, a set of plastic drawers, some closet hanging space and a shelf to put books.

In borough park the heimeshe stores sell the best mattresses for the best price. For example many many people use Hatzlacha furniture in Williamsberg for children's beds and mattresses.

A stove is also a priority. A working kitchen is a game changer.

Shelves for food can be easily purchased by IKEA.

Good luck! Have fun with it. Use the challenge of the budget and you will be so proud of yourself with the end result.

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 8:21 pm
Beds and mattresses are a priority. IKEA is great for stuff like that.

You can make book shelves with bricks and wood planks. Or cinder blocks and planks. No building skills necessary. And no skills needed to paint a plank of wood. It doesn’t have to be a pristine paint job.

If the stove is broken, you need a stove. How are you cooking. If you can’t afford it, a hot plate, crock pot and toaster oven might get you through the crunch.

I don’t know how little money you have but you can buy serviceable cookware for relatively little money. Surprisingly Macy’s always has good deals but Marshall’s and TJ Maxx can yield inexpensive results. You don’t need much to start. A big sauté pan, a big soup pot and a big roasting pan or sheet pan and you’re set.

You can use inexpensive plastic crates for toys. It doesn’t have to be fancy.

I don’t know where you are or how limited your transportation is but you can generally find cookware cheap at estate sales or yard sales because it’s something most people have too much of and it’s just something they need to get rid of. I’m decluttering and so I’m donating lots of stuff to a charity for battered women. Not that I think you are battered but just that people need to dispose of kitchenware all the time because it just accumulated over time and you don’t want to shlep if you move or if you remodel you’re going through all the items that have been piled in back anyway. 😀

You can get a serviceable inexpensive dining table from Ikea. It might not be gorgeous but it will function. For the kids, the cheapest would be picnic style benches and then two chairs for your husband and you.

At least with these basics, you can start to feel as though you are living rather than just existing.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 8:37 pm
If you live near monsey, there's a place called Kupas Ezra that can give you used furniture for very cheap or free. Paying for movers/ renting a truck/ might not be too expensive.

rachel0615

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 8:51 pm
We just got furniture to furnish our 1 bedroom apartment and bought just about everything from IKEA plus a used dining room set and spent around 3,000. This did not include mattresses or bed frames. It adds up fast! We bought 3 bookshelves from Ikea, a mini bookshelf used for our licht, a couch, 2 dressers, 2 night stands, a mirror and a coffee table, all from Ikea.

Just a note- Ikea furniture does not include assembly. We paid extra for them to assemble it but bc we had so many things to assemble, the assembly guys never showed up and we had to pay an outside man to assemble it which added a couple hundred dollars to the expense.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 9:09 pm
Oh my, I just came back and I am so unbelievably touched at how many of you took the time to post so thoughtfully. I was scared that I was asking much too specifically, and so many of you really took the time to reply.

cnc wrote:
That sounds low to me for everything that you included.

That is heartening! I will have to go back and check my calculations, but I don't think I am that far off. (but I don't know if I included tax... uh oh!)

Blessing1 wrote:
For $5,000 you can get maybe 3 things on the list.

If I was getting high quality furniture I agree! Very Happy I'm okay with ikea stuff, really, as long as it functions for what I need. But even though I know people make do with less, I can't. I just can't.

(To clarify, we moved over a year ago... embarrassed We are functioning, but I am slowly losing my sanity at my inability to have a semblance of organization. It is VERY hard to clean a house when there is no logical place to put things away. Crates and boxes just aren't working for me.)

ra_mom wrote:
I can't even imagine how much stress it would be to have so many huge boxes of furniture sitting around waiting to be assembled.

Thank you ra_mom! This makes a lot of sense. I was kind of feeling like I MUST get everything NOW because I just CAN'T anymore, but this is a tremendously logical point that I think will help keep me going at a more reasonable pace.

I'm thinking that along these lines, it might make sense to start with the back room, even though that's counterintuitive. That way I'll also have a space to leave boxes until I can put them together!

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 9:20 pm
Furniture stores have big sales at the end of the year, if you can hold off shopping for some items until then you may be able to realize some serious savings on quality items. Also check your local Thrift Stores (Junior Leagues always have upscale items, fine china and exquisite table linens), and many thrifts have websites with photos of items, and don't forget furniture consignment stores.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 9:24 pm
amother emerald wrote:
until I coukd find I used plastic drawers

DH wanted to do this, but I couldn't. We have the small drawers for arts and crafts stuff, and they are SO HARD TO OPEN that nobody ever puts anything away. I may be a spoiled brat, but I need drawers with glides that open and close smoothly.

We had Ikea dressers before that broke, but I still hope that if I do it right with wood glue and a drill I can get a solid assembly that will last at least a few years!

I don't see "real" furniture in my immediate future at all.

sneakermom wrote:
Every kid should have a bed, a set of plastic drawers, some closet hanging space and a shelf to put books.

I really hope to get to this point! (There isn't actually enough floor space to just fudge this to be honest, I need to get furniture that will actually fit in the rooms!) Right now every kid has a place to sleep, but some of them are on beds that are too small, some on mattresses on the floor, one in a crib that should be in a bed but the toddler beds are in use...

Amarante wrote:
You can make book shelves with bricks and wood planks. Or cinder blocks and planks.

We did that in our last apartment! Cinder blocks and 2x4s. But there is no way to anchor them to the wall, and I was always scared with the toddlers around because they are so heavy! We also got a nice number of scratches from the cinder blocks.

This time, I said I'd rather have books piled on every surface than do that again, but I'm finding that's not helping me feel sane either. I want to just get Billy bookcases (white is cheaper) and anchor them to the wall. (But keep second guessing myself because it is a significant amount of money, and others make do with less.)

Amarante wrote:
If the stove is broken, you need a stove. How are you cooking. If you can’t afford it, a hot plate, crock pot and toaster oven might get you through the crunch.

Thankfully, the stove part works, just the oven is broken. I have a countertop oven which helps, but it is hard to cook for a large family in.

A new stove is $500, I'm scared to bite the bullet!

Amarante wrote:
You can get a serviceable inexpensive dining table from Ikea.

That's something we learned fast - with a tablecloth the table itself doesn't really matter! So we have plenty of folding chairs and tables baruch Hashem!

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 9:50 pm
amother salmon wrote:
you live near monsey, there's a place called Kupas Ezra that can give you used furniture for very cheap or free. Paying for movers/ renting a truck/ might not be too expensive.

We live a few hours from Monsey, but maybe you're right. I'm just nervous that I'd go shelp out and not find furniture that will fit (I doubt they have a website with furniture dimensions!).

rachel0615 wrote:
Just a note- Ikea furniture does not include assembly.

Yup... boy do I know that! I'm expecting to spend a long time putting things together.

MagentaYenta wrote:
don't forget furniture consignment stores.

Interesting, I didn't even know that something like that existed! Will have to google and see if there are any near me.

BTW, here's some of my cost breakdowns:

- Ikea bunkbed (Tuffing) - $120
- Foam mattresses (Amazon) - $150 ($50 each)
- Ikea Billy bookcases, 7 full, 5 half + corner hardware (still need to measure) - $900
- Ikea Malm 6-drawer dresser - $360 ($180 each)
- Ikea Malm 4-drawer chest - $260 ($130 each)
- Ikea Malm 2-drawer chest - $50
- Ikea Micke desks - $200 ($50 each)
- Ikea Algot shelving for closet - $90
- Ikea Trofast storage for toys - $90
- Ikea Trofast storage for baby clothes - $70
- Ikea Stenstorp kitchen cart - $150
- GE stove and fridge - $1000 ($500 each)
- Armoire desk for main room (Walmart) - $130
- Sterilite shelf units for storage (Walmart or Amazon) - $160 ($80 each)
- Good quality pots (Tramontina tri-ply clad from Walmart) - $400 (I really don't want to have to buy pots again...)
- Toter outdoor trash cans - $160 ($80 each)
- Oil-filled heater (Amazon) - $75
- Rug (Houzz) - $80

That adds up to about $4400, admittedly before tax and shipping.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 10:02 pm
Sounds like you and your children are living in chaos, which isn't healthy. I think it's time to bite the bullet and get what is necessary to make your home a functional space.

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 10:05 pm
I think your list is amazingly frugel. Good luck with it.

There are website for free stuff. Maybe someone here can help you. My neighbors get stuff often like pianos and dining room tables.

Here is one website. I don't know how good it is. I just found it on Google.

https://trashnothing.com/app/#.....s=127

Try Goodwill. I rather get better quality used than less good new. We got a couple of pieces from Ikea that were new that someone didn't like. They didn't hold up as they were made of particle board.

Goodwill has a website.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 10:27 pm
I am nearing the finish line on a big (for me) refurnishing project. My family and home are much smaller than yours but I deeply relate to what you're going through.

I think you should shift your approach to think about which things will make the biggest quality-of-life difference. There are certain things that if you get them in place first, other things can fall into place later. As you add things more gradually, the expense will feel less intimidating also. You may find it easier to buy the broom-hanging-thingy types after the dust has settled from your big move/refurnish.

Broken stove definitely comes first. QOL will significantly improve with cooking ability. I don't know much about stoves but I'm guessing that's like $500ish? If you already have a fridge and just want a nicer one, hold off on that until you've recovered from your more immediate expenses. Same to the rugs, unless your floor is really gross. For me, desks would go lower down on the list too, because you can pretty much do the same stuff on a table - so it's a little less convenient; I'll finish paying off the stove and the beds before I start buying desks.

Don't bother with plastic drawers. Just don't. No matter how cheaply you get them, they just aren't worth it because they're not THAT cheap and you'll need to replace them anyway. If dressers are expensive for you, I would advise instead buy a few cheap bookcases, anchor them to the walls, and use storage cubes like these to keep things within them https://www.amazon.com/SimpleH.....cubes (if you're really pinching pennies, set up a price watch for a few of the cheaper ones on Amazon. I think mine were something like $14 for 6. That is a good price for these things.) They don't function *quite* the same as drawers but they look nice and cost a lot less, especially if you get the bookcases on the cheap (used bookcases are practically a dime a dozen. And then you can use the higher shelves for other storage. Think games in boxes or toys in sterilite-type bins.) I'm not so into dressers because the tops get to be clutter magnets, and then there's all that wasted space above them. But then again, that's my 500-sq-ft apartment mentality; if you just moved into a bigger house then maybe that's not your priority. Still, I wouldn't want more than one dresser per room at most.

Beds make a big difference. I would go with the next level up from Tuffing - I think it's called Svarta? I just got that one. It's a huge quality difference for the $70 or so price difference. Seriously. Especially since you say you have a large family, I guess you'll want it to hold up to a lot of use. The Tuffing railing is mainly this mesh that looks easily ripped. The build is less solid-feeling overall than the other one. The ladder in the middle is kind of awkward. If your bottom kiddo wants you to sit or lie with them, it's uncomfortable because of both the ladder in the middle and the lowness. Just pay the extra and get the good solid full-size bunkbed that you'll like a lot better for a lot longer.
I'm not sure which mattresses you're eyeing on Amazon but I can't imagine what kind of quality you'll get for $50. I bought the $150 one from Ikea for my bunkbed and it seems to be just good-enough. The cheaper one ($90?) from Ikea with just one layer of foam inside I sat on and it was just worthless. You could feel right through to whatever was under it.

I think Trofast is a little overrated for what you get. It's not very versatile. It may be good to have some for toys that need a bin (legos? dolls?) but beyond that I think regular shelves and drawers are probably a better bet. But if it works for you, good.

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 10:34 pm
Check if your community has some kind of email list or Facebook group for selling/giving away second hand items. There might be some resources you haven't yet considered for getting older, but higher quality, items. It doesn't necessarily need to be within the Jewish community, either. There's a city-wide "garage sale" Facebook group where I live. People post things they're giving away or selling. Sometimes you can find great deals if you're persistent and patient.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 11:47 pm
seeker wrote:
I think you should shift your approach to think about which things will make the biggest quality-of-life difference. There are certain things that if you get them in place first, other things can fall into place later. As you add things more gradually, the expense will feel less intimidating also. You may find it easier to buy the broom-hanging-thingy types after the dust has settled from your big move/refurnish.

Thank you! I've seen some of your posts, your insight is really appreciated!

We live a good few hours from Ikea, which is really my only hope of getting passable quality furniture (not all particle board is the same!). They have a flat shipping fee for large orders, but it is several hundred dollars. I'm scared to NOT get everything right away, because I may never get it!

seeker wrote:
Beds make a big difference. I would go with the next level up from Tuffing - I think it's called Svarta?

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I honestly didn't think about the ladder thing, or that deeply into the mesh, but you saved me a very big mistake! Definitely not worth getting.

(I actually found a nice bunkbed on Craigslist, but I have no idea how we'd pick it up. I'll probably end up with Ikea.)

This is the mattress I found: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

It has pretty good reviews, so I figure it can't be that bad! (We have similar mattresses for the other kids, I think we paid $80 or something for them, and they're fine.)

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 12:19 am
I hear you on the Ikea delivery thing. Makes a lot of sense. So go ahead and get all your Ikea stuff in one order but don't feel like you need to do-over your whole house at once. PS Ikea is great in many ways but it isn't the only game in town for cheap furniture. And yes, the delivery fee is the pits. I only used it when I wanted something badly enough specifically from Ikea that was worth it (my whole wall of Pax.)

happy12

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 11:09 am
if you tell us the area you live in you may get better suggestions.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics