Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Period pain keeps her home.
1  2  3  4  Next

smile

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 4:02 am
It’s my 14 year old. She is VERY sensitive and emotional. She got her period this year. And always has to come home from school or miss it bc of her pain. I give her painkillers or even plant based drops to help her. Showed her some exercises to do too.
She thinks no one got it as bad as her.
I keep on telling her that she has to be tough and continue her life with it. She can’t every month stay home. And that all the girls in school have it and still go.
Any tips how I can deal with this? advices how to help her physically and emotionally that she manages in school?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 4:09 am
Maybe she does get it worse? Maybe she does need a day or two off each month? Some teens get extremely bad pain, much worse than older women.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 4:29 am
Agreed. Many teens load on painkillers or stay home one day, possibly two on bad months. It goes better with age, and certainly at childbirth. BTDT.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 4:33 am
I recall staying home for this the pain was so bad I couldn't barley walk. And in high school we went from classroom to classroom so that was hard.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 5:02 am
Not everyone gets it. I get cramps twice a year or so. They don't last more than 15 minutes

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 5:08 am
Some countries have/are talking about a period law, one day off. So yeah, cool for those who don't need it. My mom decades ago already encountered such tolerance, as a human ressource.

rivkam

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 5:23 am
She might need stronger painkillers. It also might be worth taking her the doctors. They can put her on the pill which can often make it easier with period pains.

I used to get such heavy, painful periods when I was a teenager but they got better already by my late teens so there is hope!

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 5:31 am
Caution may be a sign of some medical problem. Go have her checked out by Dr.

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 6:04 am
Bad period pain is real. Its entirely possibly that your daughter has worse pain then everyone else she knows.

I believe some drs prescribe bc pills for this reason but this may have other side effects and its important your daughter knows about them. Personally I would rather endure a day of pain (controlled by painkillers) then go on the pill.

cm

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 6:23 am
Please take your daughter to a doctor, and be sure to wait in the waiting room while she has her exam and a private chat. She may have worse cramps than you ever experienced, and may benefit from medical treatment.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 6:25 am
Painkillers are not as harmless as they seem.
Warm baths may help.her.
I would definitely not recommend comparing her pain to other 14 year olds. Each person has her own threshold for pain. Being uptight can add to it, so best might be to offer some empathy and hugs and allow her to stay home when SHE feels the need to. She's no longer a kid , she's now a young woman. Respect her intuition and encourage her to listen to it. Listening to the body in the way that dd is doing is practice in trusting one's intuition. Don't encourage her to dismiss her intuition. She'll need it as her ally in life.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 6:27 am
Maybe take her to an integrative gyn.

Shoshana37

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:10 am
My daughter is almost 14 for one year she skips the 1-2 days because of period. It's completely normal and I rather her loose time from school then take those pills (so many side affects)

amother
Red

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:12 am
amother wrote:
Painkillers are not as harmless as they seem.
Warm baths may help.her.
I would definitely not recommend comparing her pain to other 14 year olds. Each person has her own threshold for pain. Being uptight can add to it, so best might be to offer some empathy and hugs and allow her to stay home when SHE feels the need to. She's no longer a kid , she's now a young woman. Respect her intuition and encourage her to listen to it. Listening to the body in the way that dd is doing is practice in trusting one's intuition. Don't encourage her to dismiss her intuition. She'll need it as her ally in life.

Just wanted to add to this post-
My periods were worse than my labors.
I took every type of painkiller as a girl. It did not harm anything. Warm baths are perfect for cleanliness. It will NOT help period pain.
Why deprive her of something that can help her?
If she only got it this year she might need time to get used to it.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:15 am
Brought it up at her yearly pediatrician appointment when my daughter was dealing with this. We had tried over the counter period stuff and hot water bottles, but she was still having problem. The doctor suggested alleve, which seemed to make a difference.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:21 am
I personally had it really bad as a teen. The only thing that would help me get through the first day was taking an advil AS SOON as the period started and once again after 3-4 hours.
Otherwise I would be a howling mess.
So yes, She really might have it worse than some of her friends

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:26 am
I cried from pain every single month. You are obviously not imagining the pain she’s in. And I’m no wimp.

Please let her stay home for the day.

And BTW Motrin helped sometimes.

Ouch my heart goes out to her.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:33 am
I too was doubled over in pain as a teen & young adult (even after childbirth) and I vomited non stop for 2 days straight. Every. Single. Month.
I was a top student, but still missed school each month.
Sometimes Midol helped a bit, but honestly I was mostly curled up in bed w a bucket.
Till today, many yrs later, my periods are a nightmare.
Please, show your Dd empathy & let her be home if need be.

bzmom.

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:34 am
I remember as a teenager having intense pain aswell. I stayed home from school every time. After I had my first child the pain stopped . But all I can say is try be there for her, as I remember it being really tough for me and my mom was very supportive and understanding. It made all the difference. Hatzloche!

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:46 am
I remember walking around the house in such intense pain as well. I would scream that I would dying because that's how bad it was.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children