Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Over 3 year old has never done #2 on potty

westchestermom

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 1:56 pm
My 3 year old (turned 3 last month) has days when she goes several hours without accidents. I ask her to go on the potty every hour and she does well with that but she doesn't usually know on her own when the urge is coming. However, she has NEVER done #2 on the potty. She usually waits and asks for a diaper, or today she couldn't anticipate it and went down her pants. She eats lots of fiber and has loose movements, so it's incredibly awful to clean. I've tried giving her pretty underwear, letting her use the toddler potty and the regular toilet, giving praise, talking about being a big girl, reading books about it, taking breaks for a week when it seems to be too much and trying again, it doesn't seem to be progressing. I just want her to be interested but she will tell me that she wants to be a baby and wear diapers. She doesn't seem upset when I'm training her but she's not very interested either. Any ideas? My oldest one trained quickly and easily so I need all the tricks. Thanks!

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 2:00 pm
I had that with my dd. Now she poops in the potty but she still gets nervous about it. Talk to your pediatrician but I would let her have the pull-ups for pooping for now. She will go in the potty when she's ready and pushing her can make it worse.

westchestermom

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 5:49 pm
Unfortunately if she is in underwear the poop just falls into her clothes 😖 and we have carpet everywhere

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 5:56 pm
westchestermom wrote:
Unfortunately if she is in underwear the poop just falls into her clothes 😖 and we have carpet everywhere

Call your pediatrician maybe she needs to bulk up she diet? You can put her back in pull-ups for now.

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 6:40 pm
My son would would save it for his night diaper or ask for diapers in middle of day and go then. He never had any accidents so I didnt really push the issue and finally.when he was 4.5 he agread to sit on the toliet. He was very scared that first time but that was it the next day he was going on his own already. My daughter is just about three and she was also saving it for her night diaper only she was having dirty accidents at least once a week. I got rid of all the diapers in the house. After her bath she went to get a diaper and I told her there were no more. She is a big girl and will wear underwear all day and night. She was very very upset but it worked. Her first jobs on the toliet toook a looooong time and many false alarms cuz she was scared but she has not had any accidents in over a month. She does occassionally wet her bed at night though.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:14 pm
westchestermom wrote:
My 3 year old (turned 3 last month) has days when she goes several hours without accidents. I ask her to go on the potty every hour and she does well with that but she doesn't usually know on her own when the urge is coming. However, she has NEVER done #2 on the potty. She usually waits and asks for a diaper, or today she couldn't anticipate it and went down her pants. She eats lots of fiber and has loose movements, so it's incredibly awful to clean. I've tried giving her pretty underwear, letting her use the toddler potty and the regular toilet, giving praise, talking about being a big girl, reading books about it, taking breaks for a week when it seems to be too much and trying again, it doesn't seem to be progressing. I just want her to be interested but she will tell me that she wants to be a baby and wear diapers. She doesn't seem upset when I'm training her but she's not very interested either. Any ideas? My oldest one trained quickly and easily so I need all the tricks. Thanks!

I could have written your post- every word of it!

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:31 pm
westchestermom wrote:

It sounds like she's really early on in the potty learning process. It sounds like she still has frequent accidents, and doesn't yet recognize her body signals. She's got a ways to go. I know its tough, but she'll do it.

In this case, though, I'd let her "be a baby" if that's what she wants. But if you think that she's really ready for the potty, limit her privileges. "Sara, you told me that you would rather be a baby. Babies don't go on the big girl swings. You'll let me know when you don't want to be a baby anymore, okay." Let her make the decision. No shaming or making fun of her. Just let her decide.

westchestermom

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 8:29 pm
Sigh. I guess I'm jumping the gun. We have until September so I guess I'll try again in a few weeks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training