Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Stains on down coats/parkas

yogabird

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:58 pm
My kids' winter coats get these greasy/grimy looking stains on them that don't come out in the wash, even with pre-treatment. I know we're not the only ones, I see lots of coats looking like that, but plenty that don't. I also asked all my laundry expert acquaintances and none of them had any good advice. It bothers me for them to wear it that way, but I also hate having to replace a coat that still fits and is in perfect condition. Anyone have any great tips I don't know about? And if they're not removable, are there certains brands or fabrics that don't get like that?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 8:18 pm
Yes the shiny type down coats do absorb stains. Such a pain.
I get them out with dawn but it's a double edged sword because while it takes out the grease it can also flatten and kill the down. So it needs to be done quickly and with thought. I really didn't enjoy my girls' coats as much last year because they had such a material.
I see many of the appaman coats and gap coats this year are made of this material too. Sigh.

cm

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 8:36 pm
Sorry, no advice about the stains, but after a down coat gets wet, put it in the dryer (no heat) with clean tennis balls to fluff it up again.

yogabird

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 8:38 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Yes the shiny type down coats do absorb stains. Such a pain.
I get them out with dawn but it's a double edged sword because while it takes out the grease it can also flatten and kill the down. So it needs to be done quickly and with thought. I really didn't enjoy my girls' coats as much last year because they had such a material.
I see many of the appaman coats and gap coats this year are made of this material too. Sigh.

It's funny because the one with the most stains is actually not a shiny one, it's kind of like a sueded-feel polyester, not sure what's it's called. I took care not to get another shiny one after the last one had to be replaced mid-season, that's how bad it looked, but this one seems to be a lemon too. Or my kid is just unusually messy?

The good news is it's not down. So I will try to do a dawn treatment on it. What's the protocol?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 8:49 pm
It's the potato chips on the bus. Exploding anger If I can help it I don't actually allow them to eat in their coats. But I can't seem to help it with the little one when I'm not around. Wink

Zip up coat. Keep in mind where the stains are.
In a clean sink or tub, rinse out the coat until fully wet. Squeeze some blue dawn dish soap in your wet palm and rub both palms together until you have a light coating. Rub your palms all over the coat, keeping the stains in mind, and replenish the dawn as needed. Do not pour dawn directly on coat.
Take a cleaning toothbrush and scrub the coat all over, not missing any areas, but keeping the stains in mind and trying to scrub them out.
Wash out coat with water until there is no more suds and it runs clear.
Have a basin nearby.
Squeeze out coat and carry it, over a basin to catch the dripping water, to the washing machine to wash.
Once done take out right away from machine and place in the dryer along with 6 clean tennis balls. Remove from dryer immediately and hang up.
Btw do each coat separately.

yogabird

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 10:44 pm
Her school has a strictly enforced no eating on bus rule. And I hardly ever send potato chips. I don't even know when she eats in her coat. Once in a while if she's having breakfast while waiting for the bus. So I really don't know where these stains are coming from. Thanks for the tips though, I'm gonna try that.

yogabird

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 8:19 pm
ra_mom, I just wanted to report that your instructions REALLY WORKED. I was kind of skeptical because I'd already tried all kind of pre-treatment that did nothing. This was a last ditch attempt and then I was just going to get a new coat. Guess what, it came out of the wash looking like new. In addition to what you said, after rubbing the soap in I also sprinkled on some baking soda, then I let it all sit for 3 hours, then I scrubbed the stains and laundered in the machine.

THANK YOU!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 8:23 pm
So glad to hear yogabird! Smile

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 8:25 pm
For the future, best not to soak down as the feathers can go limp. One time too many can kill it.

yogabird

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 8:29 pm
ra_mom wrote:
For the future, best not to soak down as the feathers can go limp. One time too many can kill it.

It's not actually down-filled Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry