Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Looking for suggestions

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 3:56 pm
My 2.5 year old has been joining us in our room on a near-nightly basis since (coincidentally??) around the time she found out about the baby coming. So right now she's not really bothering us, I often don't even realize that she's there until morning. The problem is that right now my bed and my husband's bed are 2 x-long twins pushed together to make a king. Once baby is born our beds will be separated during nidda, We had a "trial run" during yom kippur, and of course even though during the day she's a "abba's girl" instead of joining my husband in his bed, she came to mine and I didn't sleep well+ newborn I see this a potential disaster. This isn't a "new thing" really my other kids all did this around this age--but mostly they either went to my husband's bed, or with my boys it was easy, they were into Hot Wheels cars, so they seemed to understand if they stayed in their bed all night, then they'd get a car in the morning. My daughter doesn't really have a similar passion (though open to suggestions, she likes figurines). I thought she'd stay in her bed--since mostly when she comes to my bed, she tends to steal my body pillow, so I bought a second one and gave her MINE, but after one night--didn't work. I have no idea what wakes her up and no idea why she won't stay in her bed--since she knows its her room and goes to sleep there.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 4:37 pm
Same issue, with my 3 year old (and sometimes also toddler!). You can try a sticker chart for a cheap prize if that will work. Stopped working for us... But I told him we'll go to a special playground tomorrow if he stays in his bed all night tonight, and that seemed exciting to him. Anywhere special yours would like to go? Ice cream with Mommy if she makes it all week? Or is that too advanced for that age? (Then might work when the baby comes?) Good luck!

Last edited by amother on Sun, Oct 29 2017, 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 12:53 pm
We had two kinds of treats that worked for our little girl:
- Chocolate or ice cream in the morning
- Jewelry, hair accessories or painting her nails

Another suggestion - get a baby gate for her room and/or lock your door. This may cause a few nights of disrupted sleep, but she'll learn and then it will be over. can be combined with prizes above.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 12:58 pm
I posted above about bribing my 3 year old with a trip to the park for staying in bed. First of all, OP, any improvements?

We now have a half-filled sticker chart (3 out of 6) that has stayed that way since before Succos. I actually started feeling bad encouraging it. He really just craves the comfort of holding my hand when he's falling back asleep sometimes. And he looked so betrayed whenever I spoke about staying in his bed all night, so I've dropped it for now. I go in to sit by him if he cries and I'm still awake. And if I'm in bed, he comes to me or I bring him to me when I hear him.

I'm wondering if anyone else has gone this route and how it ended up with your child. (Did he/she eventually grow out of it on their own? If so, when?) Like OP, I don't really mind him being there usually, so I'd rather go easy on him, especially if I know it's unlikely to last too much longer. My husband said a boy is not obligated to sleep in the Sukkah until something like 7 because he still needs his mother before that... so doesn't sound too off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics