Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving for health, but where!?
1  2  Next

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 4:08 pm
I am seriously considering moving (from the Tri state) for my health; anything less than 60 degrees leaves me in terrible pain. However, the hot humid summer months leave me weak and nauseous.
Dh loves warm weather & being near the water, but I was way sicker when we visited Florida recently- it was just too hot & humid.

Since I have kids, they would need decent schools(including high school), and I'd love a warm, welcoming, open community. We looked into a few communities in South Carolina, but they were not a good fit in the end.

Dh doesn't have a degree from college, but has worked in a number of different jobs, like retail, marketing, management etc.

Any ideas of a place in the US with moderate weather- not to hot, not to cold, or humid that has a nice, affordable community that we can look into? (a place like san fransisco prob has better weather, but we can't afford such a place at all)

anon bec we have not told anyone about this, it's very early in the process.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 4:13 pm
What about Los Angeles? It’s hot but not as humid as Florida. And not as expensive as San fransisco although not cheap

doctorima

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 4:14 pm
That's definitely going to be a challenge - not too hot, not too cold, not too expensive, and a decent Jewish community - I'd love to move there too! Smile Seriously, the closest place that comes to mind is Atlanta. Dallas is also nice, but likely too hot for you in the summer. If you can handle dry heat without humidity, you could look into Phoenix. San Diego has beautiful weather but not a cheap cost of living. Portland, OR is also a nice growing community with a somewhat moderate climate and cost of living.

mha3484

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 4:14 pm
Atlanta?

mha3484

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 4:17 pm
Maybe Baltimore ladies can chime in but I remember being in DC one winter and only needing a light jacket. I think the weather is known to be more mild then other east coast cities.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 4:20 pm
Thank you so much for the ideas, keep them coming!

LA is still out of our budget, and the smog is bad for my/my kids asthma.

I wondered about Atlanta, I know it's supposed to be a very nice community. Does it get very humid there? I know the weather in South Carolina turned out not to be good for me.
Can anyone tell me more about cost of living (housing, school, etc), is there a lot of traffic, is it very busy? Also I can't drive bec. of my health conditions- will I be locked in at home in Atlanta, or is it somewhat walkable?

I don't know how a dry heat will affect me honestly, I have heard that phoenix does get brutal.
San Diego does sound amazing, but doesn't seem affordable.

Seems like I will have to visit a few places slowly over time- travel makes me extremely sick as well.

ETA- I don't know anything about Portland- the community, climate, job opportunities, etc.
Dh does not like Baltimore at all.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 5:07 pm
May I ask what was the problem with the weather in S.C. ?
I'm a fellow wannabe relocator...

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 5:11 pm
A lot of humidity in the places I looked.
I also did not connect with the leaders of the communities I looked into, but I'm sure other ppl's experiences will be different.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 5:16 pm
The southeast gets humid in the summer. The Southwest gets very hot but dry. California is expensive. You might just be best staying put op.

tichellady

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 5:28 pm
Maybe Denver, Seattle or Portland.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 5:30 pm
Denver gets frightfully cold and so do parts of the PNW (with more frequency). The past few years the PNW has suffered weeks of below freezing weather.

Remember too in the wetter parts of the PNW you will have year round allergies.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 5:34 pm
tichellady wrote:
Maybe Denver, Seattle or Portland.

Seattle and Portland have an average temperature of about 60. Lots of drizzle. It may snow in the winter. It may cross 90 for up to a week in the summer. Basically mild and cool.
Gorgeous though.

tichellady

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 5:39 pm
There is no one place that fits your criteria. Believe me I have looked. The places I suggested seem to fit most of the categories but are not perfect. Even LA gets some very hot days ( forget price)
Las Vegas is affordable, has a mild winter, but gets very hot, but it is not humid heat, like Florida

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 5:43 pm
Baltimore and surrounding area have very hot summers with unbearably high humidity.
You're really looking for a temperate climate. The only part of North America that comes close is probably PNW including Vancouver (I know not US).
Have you considered Yerushalayim? Not very cold in winter, rarely goes below freezing, and not as hot and humid in summer as Bet Shemesh, Tel Aviv, Bne Braq.
Or Tzfat? Clear mountain air, a few cold days each winter and beautiful summers.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 7:07 pm
Oh I know for sure no place in the us is perfect, just I guess trying to find other places to consider.
Outside the us is not an option.
I do have concerns about all the rain in the Pnw, since my kids & I have very bad allergies/asthma.

doctorima

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 7:10 pm
It sounds like you're going to have to prioritize what's most important to you - weather, community, cost, etc. You've listed a lot of requirements, and you can have any one or two of them, but all of them together is just not realistic.

I would look into Atlanta, Dallas, and Phoenix, in that order, but with an open mind trying to find a place that can work for you, not obsessing with the problems that you'll inevitably find, which will leave you stuck in your current location, which apparently isn't working for you.

familyfirst

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 7:46 pm
Driving is important out of town. Do you not driven in principle or for health reasons?
Can you learn how to drive? Important for carpooling, shopping, etc

Considering all your requirements, tristate meets a lot of them.

Can you live in two areas over the year? May complicate schooling, and husband may need to commute for work but something to consider

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 8:08 pm
I can't drive or work bec of serious health reasons.
The prob is the cost, community and my health are all equally important to me, so it's hard for me to prioritize.

boat

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 8:15 pm
Israel

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 8:18 pm
amother wrote:
I can't drive or work bec of serious health reasons.
The prob is the cost, community and my health are all equally important to me, so it's hard for me to prioritize.

Is your current community contributing to improved health or is your current community harming your health?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating