Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving from 2 bathrooms to 1 - yay or nay
1  2  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 11:27 pm
Anyone moved from a home with two bathrooms to one? My gut feeling is that it will be really hard and not worth the financial savings but just to give context, we are looking at two places and the place with one bathroom is $700 a month less in rent ( this is a tough market with very few choices) so it’s quite a substantial price difference

We have no children yet so we are just a couple but we do love having guests over ( and I don’t live the idea of sharing a bathroom with sleepover guests).

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 11:28 pm
NO!

Can you take a few hundred dollars and add a small cubicle with just a toilet inside? And a little sink at its side...

OutATowner

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 11:33 pm
Is this temporary, only a few years? Then the savings are substantial, and you can use those thousands of dollars towards a bigger home with features you like.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 11:34 pm
$8,400 per year for a bathroom. Keep the 1 bathroom clean and tidy, and invest the $8,400.

Teomima

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 12:18 am
I totally agree with OutATowner. Especially if there are no kids yet. That price difference is NOT worth it just to have more comfort when guests are around. Save the money instead.

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 12:34 am
For a couple with no children, another bathroom isn’t worth $8400 per year.

$8400 will pay for a lot of motel rooms for guests. 😃😃😃😀

But seriously even though not ideal, even with guests you can function with one bathroom because presumably these are family or close friends who you can be honest in terms of making bathroom arrangements.

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 6:12 am
go for the one bathroom. That's a lot of money!!!

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 9:03 am
I'm very in to bathrooms, but I agree with the previous posters if it's just two of you one bathroom is fine and makes more sense in this case.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 9:23 am
I was all ready to tell you not to do it. About how long the men in my family spend in the bathroom. About needing two.

But $700 a month? Really? And no kids yet?

Unless you can find a more reasonable place with two bathrooms, you'll be fine with one.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 9:30 am
If I could afford it, I'd go with the 2 bathroom.
I lived with 1 bathroom for the past 20 years. Recently moved to a two-bathroom. Old house, poor insulation, disgusting kitchen, yucky tub etc. And the 2 bathrooms is my one consolation. The full bathroom is for my dh and potential visitors. I have the tiny closet-bathroom that's in the master bedroom. It doesn't even have an electrical outlet. Only a toilet and sink. Still, it makes a big difference to me to never have to wait a milisecond for a bathroom to become available.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 9:36 am
I don't even get the question.
Unless you're extremely wealthy (and even then it's still slightly crazy), I can't imagine anyone who would pay an extra $700 a month for a bathroom when there's only two people living there, for the instances when they will have guests. As a pp, said, it's much cheaper to simply put them up in a hotel.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 9:38 am
My in laws have 500 square meters, two toilets.
I happily live with a large family and 1 toilet.

nylon

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 11:01 am
with only 2 people I would save the money. With kids, I REALLY like the 2nd toilet, especially if you have anyone in your family with digestive issues.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 11:53 am
I would go for the second bathroom. You will likely end up using the $700 on something else. I know it's crazy but people tend to spend what they have, and the money just goes. My husband takes 1/2 hour in the bathroom - it's annoying.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 12:48 pm
I would save the money and have one bathroom

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 12:53 pm
amother wrote:
I would go for the second bathroom. You will likely end up using the $700 on something else. I know it's crazy but people tend to spend what they have, and the money just goes. My husband takes 1/2 hour in the bathroom - it's annoying.

It is crazy that people aren't taught financial responsibility when they are younger.

Look - if you set out a budget that includes a reasonable amount of savings (and have some advice on what that amount is) and have money in that budget for a $700 per month second bathroom - a nice luxury for a couple.. go for it... but the 'you'll just spend it on something else' attitude is a great path to financial strain.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 12:55 pm
Money just goes? NO, you control it. I'm a bit scared ready this.

Also my husband is polite, he doesn't take up the toilet if he knows he's not home alone.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 1:11 pm
Just to clarify- we could afford the more expensive place. Money fortunately isn’t tight for us. I didn’t even look at places with one bathroom and just accepted that this is how much rent is in the neighborhood we are moving into, but then when I started looking at one bathroom places, I realized there is a huge period discrepancy. It’s helpful to hear everyone’s opinions. I know lots of people only have 1 bathroom and are fine, but I imagine it’s harder to deal with one after you had two, then if you always had one.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 1:14 pm
I moved from a house with 3 toilets (one per floor) to an apartment (= 1 toilet in my world basically). We were 3 in the house. We are kah 6. It wasn't hard for me.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 1:31 pm
Are you planning on staying long term, or short term? Until you have a/few kids?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating