Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Low fat diet - need assistance with menu

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 4:52 pm
I need to be on a low fat diet (little oil/fat) and am looking for menu ideas - I am feeling hungry!!! What are your breakfast/lunch/supper/snacks ideas???

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 5:02 pm
What afe you eating? Maybe we can help you fill in the gaps in your menu.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 8:36 pm
Just started for medical reasons. And I don't really know where to begin.
Breakfast - ww bread and low fat cottage cheese
Lunch - veggies with a little oil (?!) and tuna in water (no mayo)
Supper: grilled cutlet and some carrots. (Or other baked veggies)

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 10:13 pm
amother wrote:
I need to be on a low fat diet (little oil/fat) and am looking for menu ideas - I am feeling hungry!!! What are your breakfast/lunch/supper/snacks ideas???

You could prepare yourself broccoli/cauliflower kugel and freeze so that you just have to pull out of the freezer and reheat. If you want I have a good recipe for a broccoli or cauliflower kugel. It actually does have a little mayonnaise but I use the gefen canola lite so it's not that fattening.
Good luck

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 3:56 am
amother wrote:

Add a fruit to your breakfast.
Tuna mashed with mustard sounds weird but it tastes good when you can't have mayo.
Small dice of various colored peppers and cucumbers just mixed with salt is very good and doesn't need oil or other seasoning.
Round out supper with a good vegetable based cream soup like zucchini or cauliflower or butternut. Use only as much oil as allowed or just Pam for the sauteing. Freeze in individual containers so you can pull one out at a time and add to your meal easily.
Roast various vegetables with Pam, fresh garlic and kosher salt for a nice side dish.
100 calorie bag of free pretzels are a good snack if you can have the starch.
Tofutti fudge treats are fat free and so are diet Snapple ice pops.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 11:22 am
ra_mom wrote:
Add a fruit to your breakfast.
Tuna mashed with mustard sounds weird but it tastes good when you can't have mayo.
Small dice of various colored peppers and cucumbers just mixed with salt is very good and doesn't need oil or other seasoning.
Round out supper with a good vegetable based cream soup like zucchini or cauliflower or butternut. Use only as much oil as allowed or just Pam for the sauteing. Freeze in individual containers so you can pull one out at a time and add to your meal easily.
Roast various vegetables with Pam, fresh garlic and kosher salt for a nice side dish.
100 calorie bag of free pretzels are a good snack if you can have the starch.
Tofutti fudge treats are fat free and so are diet Snapple ice pops.

Thank you!! I've done well on low carb but now need low fat (not for weight loss but that will be a nice side benefit;)

And I don't have a plan. Dr just said low fat. No oil. But I can't imagine no oil so I'm trying to be very very careful

About cream soups - I usually do a chicken soup base which I cannot have now. Do you have other low fat recipes?

lucky14

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 11:34 am
amother wrote:

wow I would be hungry eating only this also. Do you have a calorie limit you're trying to stay under? This seems like really low.
For lunch could you add in a baked potato or sweet potato? Are you able to have rice or cous cous? There's a difference between low fat and low calorie. for dinner you can add something like spaghetti squash with tomatoes (or tomato sauce). I'd add some fruit also. Apples, raisins, etc. You can do yogurt with some low-fat granola (you can make it yourself if you want) and dried fruit. I have a recipe for pancakes that's just oatmeal and eggs (I use egg beaters, you can prob. try to use egg whites). you can make them in a pan with very little oil (or PAM spray if you use that) and top with yogurt or fruit or cinnamon or whatever you want.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 12:03 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you!! I've done well on low carb but now need low fat (not for weight loss but that will be a nice side benefit;)

And I don't have a plan. Dr just said low fat. No oil. But I can't imagine no oil so I'm trying to be very very careful

About cream soups - I usually do a chicken soup base which I cannot have now. Do you have other low fat recipes?

I don't use any chicken soup base even if the recipe calls for it. Just start off with good base of quality jumbo Vidalia onions and fresh garlic, both sauteed, then use water as the liquid and lots of kosher salt (which is much tastier than regular) to taste.

These are all delicious.

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....+soup

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....=mock

Use just Pam or only as much oil as allowed. When using less oil or spray, saute on super low flame for very long time so doesn't burn.

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 7:31 pm
lucky14 wrote:
wow I would be hungry eating only this also. Do you have a calorie limit you're trying to stay under? This seems like really low.
For lunch could you add in a baked potato or sweet potato? Are you able to have rice or cous cous? There's a difference between low fat and low calorie. for dinner you can add something like spaghetti squash with tomatoes (or tomato sauce). I'd add some fruit also. Apples, raisins, etc. You can do yogurt with some low-fat granola (you can make it yourself if you want) and dried fruit. I have a recipe for pancakes that's just oatmeal and eggs (I use egg beaters, you can prob. try to use egg whites). you can make them in a pan with very little oil (or PAM spray if you use that) and top with yogurt or fruit or cinnamon or whatever you want.

Thanks for responding.
Can I get the recipe for the spaghetti squash and for the oatmeal pancakes?

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 7:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I don't use any chicken soup base even if the recipe calls for it. Just start off with good base of quality jumbo Vidalia onions and fresh garlic, both sauteed, then use water as the liquid and lots of kosher salt (which is much tastier than regular) to taste.

These are all delicious.

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....=mock

Use just Pam or only as much oil as allowed. When using less oil or spray, saute on super low flame for very long time so doesn't burn.

Will definitely make those soups!
Any chicken ideas?? (No meats)

ra_mom

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 9:52 pm
amother wrote:
Will definitely make those soups!
Any chicken ideas?? (No meats)

Marinate dark chicken cutlets in a mixture of schwarma spice seasoning made wet with fresh garlic and lemon juice. Salt and pepper, maybe a sprinkle of sugar substitute. Thread onto skewers and bake at 400 for 25 min.
Saute chicken cutlets with bbq spice mix.
Marinate chicken in fresh garlic, fresh basil, kosher salt, bit of lemon.
Dip cutlets in lemon juice, sprinkle with garlic powder, kosher salt, black pepper. "Grill" in pan a few minutes per side. Wrap tightly in silver foil and let stand 5 minutes before serving so it gets more juicy.
Mix up your chicken breast. Cube it. Cut it into strips. Thread it onto skewers. Thin cut. Full breasts. Make it interesting, season it well, cook and enjoy.
Once cooked, slice it on the diagonal and serve it over a salad.
Smoked paprika and smoked garlic powder and really nice btw. Play around with spices.

shirachadasha

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 3:23 am
To make soup with broccoli you don't need added fat.
Steam the broccoli in a little water till it changes color. Puree. Add spices.

lucky14

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 8:03 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for responding.
Can I get the recipe for the spaghetti squash and for the oatmeal pancakes?

for speghetti squash I just roast it in the oven (you can search online for cooking times and oven temp). then I just scoop out the edible part and mix in canned italian stewed tomatoes (or you can do pasta sauce instead if you wanat), add seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic powder) & melt cheese on top (you can add parm if you want) & . or skip the cheese. I'm sure you can google lots of low fat/fat free spaghetti squash recipes online.

Have you ever had sweet dumpling squash? Those things are so delicious I think they're awesome roasted with just salt sprinkled on them. I think they're great as a side to dinner (let's say with roasted/grilled chicken or fish and a salad).

power pancake (recipe from womans day magazine):
mix 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats & 4 egg whites (I think I sometimes use egg beaters) & 1/2 tsp vanilla & 1 Tbsp sugar (I use Truvia) & 1/2 tsp cinnamon. pour into a heated pan that's been coated with oil spray. cook until golden brown (around 2-3 mins on each side). you can put whatever you want on top. (I usually put sugar-free pancake syrup since I'm not so healthy like that but you could put reg. syrup or jelly or even top with some cottage cheese & fruit preserve for extra protein+sweet).

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 9:37 pm
My parents don’t cook with oil at all. They make boneless turkey roast, whole roast chicken with lemon and herbs, tons of roasted and steamed veggies, lots of soups ( carrot ginger, white bean rosemary, lentil, cauliflower curry, mushroom barley), lots of salads, Farro, whole baked potatoes and sweet potatoes . They make dressing with Tehina or purée cilantro with lime juice and add salt and garlic or purée basil with some lemon juice and salt and garlic. This is a yummy grilled chicken recipe that’s basically oil free

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 12:02 am
amother wrote:
My parents don’t cook with oil at all. ... They make dressing with Tehina

sesame seed is 50% oil

ImaLAEma

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 12:03 pm
There are some very good ideas here, but if this is based on your doctor's recommendation, maybe your doctor could refer you (and your insurance would cover) seeing a dietician who could help you with a plan.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 8:51 pm
Ramom - I made the cauliflower soup and it got rave reviews!!! Ty

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:
sesame seed is 50% oil

Haha, I’m well aware that Tehina isn’t a low fat item . There are medical reasons why some people don’t use oil but will use nut and seed butters/paste. I’m not on a low fat or low oil diet, but this was a diet recommend by a cardiologist.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 9:32 pm
This recipe never attached:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/kor.....east/

In general, skinnytaste has lots of low fat recipes. Not everything is Kosher

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 4:19 am
amother wrote:
Ramom - I made the cauliflower soup and it got rave reviews!!! Ty

Glad to hear!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise