Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Anyone else shocked to hear about Michelle Kwan's messy divo

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 10:58 pm
After a flawless athletic career in terms of dignity and PR, were you shocked and a little sad to hear the details of her impending divorce from Clay Pell?

agreer

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 11:06 pm
No.

Why would I be shocked?

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 11:09 pm
It's just so not like her, I don't know... The whole way she found out from a tweet, responded by serving him papers back, the fights over the house, she was just such a class act... I'm sad for her, and very surprised that it's not going in a dignified way.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 2:13 am
who's that

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 7:06 am
American figure skater, nine time National champion, five time world champion.

DrMom

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 7:29 am
amother wrote:
After a flawless athletic career in terms of dignity and PR, were you shocked and a little sad to hear the details of her impending divorce from Clay Pell?

Why is this shocking?

What does athletic prowess and PR have to do with one's marriage?

Do you know her personally?

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 1:44 pm
amother wrote:
It's just so not like her, I don't know... The whole way she found out from a tweet, responded by serving him papers back, the fights over the house, she was just such a class act... I'm sad for her, and very surprised that it's not going in a dignified way.

I was surprised and sad to read about this, too.
I saw her as a dignified young woman, handled her success humbly, was never in the news acting in any unflattering manner, was thrilled about her marriage and I was surprised by her public reaction.

My thought is that she's been very hurt by her husband and it's causing her to be as hurtful back to him as she can.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 2:29 pm
amother wrote:
I was surprised and sad to read about this, too.
I saw her as a dignified young woman, handled her success humbly, was never in the news acting in any unflattering manner, was thrilled about her marriage and I was surprised by her public reaction.

My thought is that she's been very hurt by her husband and it's causing her to be as hurtful back to him as she can.

Thanks for your response, my thoughts mirror yours exactly. She was one of my childhood heroes, and a wonderful role model for handling attention and publicity, including major public disappointments, with grace and humility. I learned a lot just from watching her go through ups and downs.

Obviously no one's perfect, and I guess she doesn't have a PR guy helping direct her through her divorce, but I was just shocked by the messy details (not the divorce, obviously that can happen to anyone, just the public ugliness of it). Like you said, she must have been hurt beyond belief. Hope she's ok and finds love again in the future. Thanks for commiserating.

oliveoil

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
It's just so not like her

What does this even mean? Why do people think they really know celebrities/public figures? You see a very narrow sliver of the person, one which is very deliberately crafted for the public. What presumption!

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 2:53 pm
oliveoil wrote:
What does this even mean? Why do people think they really know celebrities/public figures? You see a very narrow sliver of the person, one which is very deliberately crafted for the public. What presumption!

I guess you're right, but when you watch someone handle very challenging things on a very public stage for close to a decade, and watch her grow in poise and humility, you start to feel like you know her personality. Also, Mitchell was an Olympic athlete, not a celebrity like an actress, so we really did get to see her in true life situations, not acting a part. Her private life, training during the off season, and competing, was really just out there for the ten years of her athletic career.

But obviously I don't really know her at all. Sigh, childhood dreams die hard. But it was nice to know someone out there is sighing along with me : )

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 2:53 pm

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 3:45 pm
amother wrote:

What was she supposed to do? Act in a "dignified manner" by allowing the matter to be heard in a court which would favor him? Allow him to take all of the assets that she's entitled to a part of?

The poor woman found out that he had filed for divorce via twitter. How would you feel if the press were running stories about your personal life, that you had no clue about?

Why do you think that a woman needs to allow a man to run roughshod over her in order to be a "class act"?

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 4:08 pm
amother wrote:
What was she supposed to do? Act in a "dignified manner" by allowing the matter to be heard in a court which would favor him? Allow him to take all of the assets that she's entitled to a part of?

The poor woman found out that he had filed for divorce via twitter. How would you feel if the press were running stories about your personal life, that you had no clue about?

Why do you think that a woman needs to allow a man to run roughshod over her in order to be a "class act"?

Ok, ok, of course you're right. I really didnt think about about it like that, honestly. I dont know alot about the way divorce court works, and I see now that she was placed in an ugly situation out of her control. Thanks for opening up my eyes as to why she would refile in her own state, and that her husband might be trying to take assets from her. (She's worth fourteen million from endorsements and tours I think). Trust me, I'm siding with Michelle on this one, or any woman placed in such a position.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics