Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is it too big for my kitchen

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 9:19 am
I'm remodeling my galley kitchen in my new home (apartment)
The kitchen is 18 ft. long, 216 inches
I wanted to get a Seperate refrigerator and frezer that is 64 inches wide, together.
PROPORTIONATELY, is it too big for the space.
Will it look out of place, like a monster in my kitchen?
Is there some type of decorator's formula to follow.
I can't visualize, and I'm really bad at these things.

Other options are:
1. Seperate the units on 2 different walls across from each other.
Worried that it's not so convenient, but the extra space is nice.
2. Go with a regular size refrigerator freezer that's 1/2 the size.
In this case I would go with a panel ready built in. I love that seamless look.

Does anyone have 2 Seperate units in 2 different places?
Is it annoying not to have them together.

lavenderchimes

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 9:31 am
You are talking about taking up 5 feet of your kychen with fridges. I don't know if you will think it is too much proportionately or not. You could try drawing it out in scale -- one inch for one foot -- and see what you think. That is what I would do. If you are in the home now, you could tape it out on the wall.

I don't think it would be annoying to have them across from each each rather than next to each other, as they will still be right by each other.

You also have the option of buying a single but larger fridge. That is what I would do, if I had any options.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 10:16 am
Thanks for input, any one else
The single fridge/freezer that I like is 48.5 "
The 2 units take 68" when including trim kit
About a 20" difference
Or if I seperate them they will take up less space on EACH side

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 10:20 am
a double fridge and freezer is very shallow (compared to a regluar) and doesn't give you that much more space. I would do a regular fridge/freezer and a storage freezer elsewhere in your home.

keep in mind that a separate fridge unit standing opposite a separate freezer unit will have open doors colliding into each other. or very much limiting the walk-through space. if it's only you and dh, that's fine. but if you have kids who help th/s to food, it can be a problem.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 10:23 am
If you have enough cabinet space and counter space even with the 2 appliances, but visually you want it to look proportionate, do cabinet panels over the freezer anx fridge so they blend in with their environment. It can look really nice.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 10:27 am
amother wrote:
a double fridge and freezer is very shallow (compared to a regluar) and doesn't give you that much more space. I would do a regular fridge/freezer and a storage freezer elsewhere in your home.

keep in mind that a separate fridge unit standing opposite a separate freezer unit will have open doors colliding into each other. or very much limiting the walk-through space. if it's only you and dh, that's fine. but if you have kids who help th/s to food, it can be a problem.

I'm looking at the Frigidaire model
Not built in
So, it is AS deep as a regular fridge and freezer.
I already have the same units in my storage room.
I'm asking more about asthetically pleasing to the eye.

As far as adding panels.
The Frigidaire is NOT panel ready.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 11:22 am
You have to get a more expensive fridge and feeezer if you want it to be panel ready. Thermador. Sub zero has panel ready ones

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 2:38 pm
amother wrote:
You have to get a more expensive fridge and feeezer if you want it to be panel ready. Thermador. Sub zero has panel ready ones

Kitchenaid makes a panel ready built in.
It will bring my total on appliances a little over budget, about $800
BUT- Best Buy always has a special that for every $1000 spent they give you $100 gift card. I can split the purchases to get the most gift cards.
That will pay for the extra.
Black Friday is coming up.

I love the look of built in panel ready integrated fridge.
But
I also like the convenience of extra space.

In my current home I have a French door fridge (freezer drawer on bottom) in the kitchen and the 2 units in the garage.
The freezer in the kitchen is too small, and it's not very comfortable always bending down to get things. Its always messy.
I use the freezer in the garage, a lot.
2x a year it gets hard finding space for everything, Tishre and Pesach.
Or when I have a Simcha.
Otherwise, space is good.

Will the Seperate units just look like a monster in the kitchen.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 1:28 pm
BUMP
I need to make a final decision soon so that I can plan kitchen layout

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 2:15 pm
amother wrote:
BUMP
I need to make a final decision soon so that I can plan kitchen layout

You need to draw out your kitchen plans to scale. That's the only way to tell if it will look proportionate.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 3:59 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You need to draw out your kitchen plans to scale. That's the only way to tell if it will look proportionate.

The kitchen designer is telling me that I have to give him the appliance specs for him to make a plan.
He said it's up to me.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 4:16 pm
amother wrote:
The kitchen designer is telling me that I have to give him the appliance specs for him to make a plan.
He said it's up to me.

Have him draw up both options for your review.

thanks

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 4:17 pm
There is lots of free software you can use to draw out your kitchen. Your kitchen designer should be able to spec it out for you so you don't need to use your imagination. You should insist on getting some drawings from the designer. My kitchen was from Ikea, and they supply free software, but there are many others.

I have the Frigidaire full fridge and freezer and really love it. It's counter depth, so it's wide but not deep. (The way there are no ufo's in the back.) For a galley kitchen, you may prefer something else based on your space.

Hatzlocha.

Miri7

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 5:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Have him draw up both options for your review.

This. Have him do both and see what you think.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 5:29 pm
I have a full Sub zero 30 inch refrigerator in my kitchen and a huge freezer hidden away, in a closet, not too far from kitchen. I love, this setup. French door freezer serves NO purpose. Huge fridge in kitchen is great. Huge freezer in closet costs about $500-600.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 5:30 pm
I have a full Sub zero 30 inch refrigerator in my kitchen and a huge freezer hidden away, in a closet, not too far from kitchen. I love, this setup. French door freezer serves NO purpose. Huge fridge in kitchen is great. Huge freezer in closet costs about $500-600.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 5:30 pm
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics