Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Question about a period
1  2  3  Next

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 5:40 pm
DD's period is still irregular (started 1.5 y ago - when dies it regulate anyway?). She's uncomfortable about the whole having period thing to begin with, and especially about pads in school. Doesn't change it there cause embarrassed the girls will see and can't take as pad to the bathroom discreetly. Refuses to carry one in her briefcase in case it starts while in school.
So now, waiting for it to start, she's wearing a pad every day (Changes it at home). The problem is that it cam start tomorrow, or in 3 weeks, or skip a month!!
Anyone's daughter doing it? Any advice?

Iymnok

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 4:27 pm
Does she wear a uniform? We hid them in the sleeve.
Another option is the waistband of her tights. Get the really thin ones, like Always. Her bra is another good hiding place. A tight tank top would work too.
The bathroom should have a trash bin in each stall so her paraphernalia won't be seen.

jewwoman

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 4:31 pm
I used to keep them in my bag. Then put my hand in the pocket and sneak them up my sleeve. I also had pockets in my uniform and kept them in there.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 4:40 pm
Sleeves, under the uniform shirt, under waistband of skirt.

Also, when she actually gets it she can double, or even triple up on thinner pads. Meaning put 3 pads on her underwear, one on top of the other and then just peel the top one off when it's dirty. I still do that, if I'm going somewhere for a bit and I don't want to bring a long a purse or bag. Or on shabbos when we eat out and when I used to go to friend's houses on shabbos as a teen. Or if I just didn't feel like bringing them and sneaking them around in high school, especially on short days with speeches that were only a few hours long.

There's many other scenarios where I double and triple up but I can't think of any right now..

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 9:41 pm
So, I told her all about taking a pad from her briefcase and putting it her tights belt part, but she's scared girls around noticing it... And she says bathroom stalls don't have garbage cans, only one outside the stalls, which means girls will see her throwing it out.

Smart idea about doubling up once it starts! Won't the sticky part of the top pad rip the pad underneath?

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 9:42 pm
So, I told her all about taking a pad from her briefcase and putting it her tights belt part, but she's scared girls around noticing it... And she says bathroom stalls don't have garbage cans, only one outside the stalls, which means girls will see her throwing it out.

Smart idea about doubling up once it starts! Won't the sticky part of the top pad rip the pad underneath?

SixOfWands

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 10:16 pm
If her skirt has a pocket, she could put a thin pad in there. If there's no pocket, can you sew a little pouch pocket inside, where she can hide a pad?

Wrap the soiled pad well, and slip up sleeve. Throw it out with the paper towel after she washes her hands.

dancingqueen

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 10:23 pm
amother wrote:

I understand the being discreet thing and have used the pad up my sleeve trick myself in high school. But is it such a big deal if her friends know she has her period? If it’s all girls that is.

Last edited by dancingqueen on Sat, Oct 21 2017, 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

tichellady

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 10:27 pm
Call the school and request that they put in garbage cans into each stall

purple 1

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 10:50 pm
tichellady wrote:
Call the school and request that they put in garbage cans into each stall

This. I don't understand how a girls school doesn't have garbage cans in the bathroom stalls.

SixOfWands

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 10:52 pm
purple 1 wrote:
This. I don't understand how a girls school doesn't have garbage cans in the bathroom stalls.

Money. Expensive to install. A lot of time to empty.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 10:52 pm
1. Use the bathroom during class time instead of during lunch hour or a break. Fewer people will be there.
2. Find a bathroom that's far from classrooms and less likely to be used by others.
3. Use a tampon - quieter to change.

SixOfWands

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 10:53 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
I understand the being discreet thing and have used the pad up my sleeve trick myself in high school. But is it such a big deal if her friends know she has her period? If it’s all girls than is.

Some girls are more embarrassed than others. My girls couldn't care less. Me, I was like the ops daughter.

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 11:56 pm
Great suggestions, thanks!

What can I say, she's very easily embarrassed about the most insignificant things and doesn't really listen to the voice of reason, unfortunately

InnerMe

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 12:07 am
dancingqueen wrote:
I understand the being discreet thing and have used the pad up my sleeve trick myself in high school. But is it such a big deal if her friends know she has her period? If it’s all girls that is.

YES, I was that kid. I went to great lengths to avoid being 'caught.' Caused me lots of anxiety, we did have cans in our bathrooms, but getting a clean one in... was always the trouble. I would always be sure someone's watching me and even once in the bathroom I'd peel the pad reaaallly slowly so that NOONE should know that I have it.

My advice would be to talk to her about it.. and reassure her more then anything that it's ok and normal and healthy, and it's fine if her friend catches a peek. You can teach her tips and tricks.. but more then anything I think what would've helped me would be to discuss it and ease up some of my anxiety surrounding it.

InnerMe

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 12:10 am
Also I always used to wish that bathrooms have a sorta cubby on the wall were you can keep a few pads... It would be sucha relief for little me back then. Or, perhaps a pack of pads in every bathrooms.. for the girls like these.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 12:26 am
InnerMe wrote:
Also I always used to wish that bathrooms have a sorta cubby on the wall were you can keep a few pads... It would be sucha relief for little me back then. Or, perhaps a pack of pads in every bathrooms.. for the girls like these.

This reminds me of when I was in high school, I used some of my babysitting maaser money to stock up the bathrooms with pads for those in need.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 12:29 am
I bet Im gonna get a firestorm of outrage but Im gonna ask anyway : what do you people have against flushable tampons? They’re smaller, more discreet, prevent the odor problem and don’t need a special garbage can in the stall. If you’re concerned about girls finding out where their opening is, don't you think that old enough to menstruate is old enough to learn about their own anatomy? Do you really think using tampons will make them promiscuous?

essie14

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 12:44 am
How can a girls high school not have trash cans in each stall?

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 12:54 am
teach her to use tampons. wearing the same pad all day will cause a smell which is definitely noticeable. Then she can go with a tampon and a pad. Halfway through the day remove and flush the tampon, and she will already have the pad there which she can keep in for the next few hours. no need to take anything from her classroom/bag to the bathroom that way.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children