Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Question about a period
Previous  1  2  3  Next

tichellady

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 12:55 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Money. Expensive to install. A lot of time to empty.

Vs basic human dignity. I really think it’s absurb

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 12:59 am
tichellady wrote:
Vs basic human dignity. I really think it’s absurb

I'm not disagreeing that they should have receptacles in each stall. I'm just explaining why they don't.

tichellady

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 1:00 am
SixOfWands wrote:
I'm not disagreeing that they should have receptacles in each stall. I'm just explaining why they don't.

I see . Glad we agree

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 1:40 am
I was there too. Don't push it, but if you model a healthy attitude it will eventually (<--key word there) rub off.

Suggestions:

- Period-ready underwear (www.shethinx.com) - not cheap, but you only need 1 or 2 if you're willing to wash them often - you don't need a pad at all!

- Cloth pads that are postpartum ready - much more comfortable and can be washed (not wasted) and they should be able to handle a period just fine, even a full day

- Or some cloth pads can be folded into a little self-contained pouch with the waterproof outside facing out to be changed, then slipped back into a bag to wash later. Usually with snaps, no loud ripping noise.

InnerMe

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 1:45 am
amother wrote:
This reminds me of when I was in high school, I used some of my babysitting maaser money to stock up the bathrooms with pads for those in need.

wow, that's a real kindness, especially of a teenager.
was there a place you were able to put it.. cuz in my school only place would've been on the floor, and would probably be thrown out by cleaning people.

Miri7

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 2:34 am
I noticed at my DDs middle school the other day that there in the teachers’ single-person bathroom there are drawers with various feminine supplies available. I mentioned this to a friend of mine who teaches there and she said that the girls are told that they can use that restroom anytime they need privacy for their period stuff. It’s kept stocked with pads and tampons

I thought it was very considerate and kind of the teachers to share their bathrooom like that.

sequoia

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 2:48 am
In my (co-ed, secular) school, it was all comfortable and normal. No one was embarassed. If you got your period unexpectedly, you went to the nurse’s office. She would give you pads or tampons. She’d also give you mint tea if you had cramps and let you lie down for a while, and write a note for the teacher.

Periods are a good, normal part of life. Why are girls so freaked out that they are unable to do what is necessary - in an all girls school, no less? Is this a frum thing?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 2:54 am
I was shy about it and did all the tricks. Then one time we were in a very crowded large public bathroom when I saw I needed a pad and my mother only had tampons -which I had not mastered yet. My mother made a loud announcement asking if anyone had a pad. Surprisingly, few did, most had tampons. I was a little embarrassed, but really happy to have something. As I thought about it later, I realized that most women have been in a similar position at some point.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 3:04 am
amother wrote:
I bet Im gonna get a firestorm of outrage but Im gonna ask anyway : what do you people have against flushable tampons? They’re smaller, more discreet, prevent the odor problem and don’t need a special garbage can in the stall. If you’re concerned about girls finding out where their opening is, don't you think that old enough to menstruate is old enough to learn about their own anatomy? Do you really think using tampons will make them promiscuous?

Tampons are very unhealthy especially if left in for too long-like on a long School day. It’s also uncomfortable for a girl to wear. I used to have bad yeast infections as a girl and the OB my mother took me to didn’t allow me to use vaginal suppositories. He prescribed med instead.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 5:29 am
amother wrote:
So, I told her all about taking a pad from her briefcase and putting it her tights belt part, but she's scared girls around noticing it... And she says bathroom stalls don't have garbage cans, only one outside the stalls, which means girls will see her throwing it out.

Smart idea about doubling up once it starts! Won't the sticky part of the top pad rip the pad underneath?

It does rip a bit, but it still works really well! Like I said, I still do it all the time!
I don't care HOW much money the school has or doesn't. Garbage cans in every stall are a nessesity!

Classicookie

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 6:03 am
Not sure how irregular she is but I also was very irregular and I think that made me more crazy about bring pads with me and changing in school it's Bec it was not a regular part of me.I will tell you take her to a Dr make sure it's all normal to this day I am still not regular and more then one Dr asked me how come my mother never took me as a teen I don't know if she never realized ( but she should have if I was not using the product she was buying) or what it was but I definitely didn't want to go to her about it .

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 7:15 am
She is going to have her period for another 30-40 years.

Now would be a good time to get over being mortally embarrassed to change a pad in a public bathroom.

She should carry some supplies in her backpack. What do you mean she is embarrassed to do this? In her personal bag in an all-girls' school?

She can carry a small flat cosmetic pouch if she doesn't want everyone to see the pad in into wrapper, or she can slip it into her waistband or sleeve before she goes to the restroom. This is a part of life.

Ask the school to put small trash bins in the stalls.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 7:44 am
I wrap my pads in tinfoil, and then in a plastic bag.
This way ppl thinks it's a sandwich in my bag.
Also great for disposing, wrap in tin foil, and then in plastic bag.
Also, why can't she take her book bag into the stall with her?

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 10:37 am
A garbage can in every stall? My high school did not have that. I've had work places that didn't have that. (I do work in a mostly male field, but there are some women in the field, not to mention the administrative staff.)

Heck, my own home didn't have a wastebasket in the bathroom. I remember having to try to smuggle my wrapped pad out of the bathroom and into the kitchen garbage without the family males noticing.

I was the younger girl, and only got the nerve to ask my mother for a wastebasket in the bathroom when a friend of mine slept over and was horrified that we didn't have a wastebasket in the bathroom.

And mind you, all we got was an open wastebasket, the kind you put papers in, while we really needed a covered one.

I don't know what my mom was thinking!

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 11:07 am
Tampons are not flushable afaik.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 11:17 am
amother wrote:
Tampons are not flushable afaik.

It's probably cheaper to buy and empty trash cans than to repeatedly call plumbers.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 12:31 pm
amother wrote:
Tampons are very unhealthy especially if left in for too long-like on a long School day. It’s also uncomfortable for a girl to wear. I used to have bad yeast infections as a girl and the OB my mother took me to didn’t allow me to use vaginal suppositories. He prescribed med instead.

This is all old wives tales.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 12:58 pm
This is taking modesty to a new level. I would suggest sending your DD out on Pinterest to look for carrying cases for sanitary supplies. There are some really cute ones out there. I'd also attempt to have a conversation about her feelings of modesty so that she can become comfortable carrying her own supplies. Or perhaps suggest a Diva Cup instead of pads or tampons.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 1:48 pm
I was irregular when I first started and still am today. My mother had told me after two years to let her know in general if periods are regular or not. When I told her few years later, she didn't seem to care and didn't do anything. I asked her why she even told me to tell her if she want even going to make an appointment and she shrugged it off. Today, that is one of the few infertility factors we are dealing with and caused a lot of resentment. Be honest and open with your daughters!!

Anyways, back on topic, I was irregular so I never got "used to" bringing pads and was just as embarrassed. I'd double up/rip slowly etc. Mother did not allow tampons - trying to be "sheltering" I guess. I asked when we went to a store in case I needed on graduation trip for water activity and was given a cold "no". Discussing periods, especially with her was really awkward which didn't help the "feeling comfortable" with it. Until this day as I am irregular, it's Still uncomfortable to carry arround feminine supplies and everything is super discreet. However, I think a contributing factor is that when my periods started, they were super super heavy - unimaginable. Every TWO minutes in bathroom, felt like I was "peeing" blood all day (sorry for TMI).. it was horrible but I knew no other way. Nowdays I pray that day 1-3 mainly fall out on non-work days. After a few periods, they got a little lighter, but not light like a normal period. I only learned what normal was after doing some research of Fertility Treatment and got more frequent cycles.

Be open with her so she doesn't feel boxed in. Buy her what she needs. If she is requesting a product, she NEEDS it for her emotional side as well as physical. Hopefully it will pass.

Last, take her to a Dr. It's never to early and why suffer for nothing? Better she know from you and Dr than finding out later on her own.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 6:20 pm
In our classroom we had one of the empty lockers was filled with sanitary napkins. Someone once donated it and whoever needed took.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children