Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What cereal do you feed your children?
1  2  Next

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 8:32 pm
My 8 year old doesn't always want cereal for breakfast, but when she does, she only wants froot loops. Can anyone recommend a cereal that your kids like, besides cheerios, that I can introduce to my daughter? TIA

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 8:33 pm
Life

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 8:36 pm
[quote="mommy3b2c"]Life[/quote
I gave my daughter life cereal but she didn't like it.

mha3484

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 8:39 pm
Puffins

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 8:44 pm
bran flakes with raisins added
I think it's a matter of what your kids are used to. My kids grew up that during the week they don't get sugary cereals. Chex or rice crispies are treats because they aren't as filling.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 8:51 pm
Rice Krispies and Life

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 8:53 pm
amother wrote:
bran flakes with raisins added
I think it's a matter of what your kids are used to. My kids grew up that during the week they don't get sugary cereals. Chex or rice crispies are treats because they aren't as filling.

Not Op though just wondering, is cheerios considered a sugary cereal? It has a very sweet taste and I do often think that maybe I shouldn't be giving it so often...

tovli toraspicha

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 8:53 pm
Oat squares
Honey bunches of oats

Teomima

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 8:55 pm
We never keep sugary cereal around the house, so it's simply never been an option. Our main staples, which my kids all have free access to, are plain Cheerios, Special K, and (Israeli) cornflakes. As a special treat we'll sometimes have Rice Chex or, if we can find it, Shreddies (a Canadian/English version of something somewhat similar to Wheat Chex).

Last edited by Teomima on Sat, Oct 21 2017, 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

yogabird

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 8:55 pm
amother wrote:
Not Op though just wondering, is cheerios considered a sugary cereal? It has a very sweet taste and I do often think that maybe I shouldn't be giving it so often...

cheerios has 1 gram of sugar per serving. least I've even seen in any packaged cereal. unless you mean honey nut cheerios, or the other flavored ones?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 8:57 pm
yogabird wrote:
cheerios has 1 gram of sugar per serving. least I've even seen in any packaged cereal. unless you mean honey nut cheerios, or the other flavored ones?

I'm talking about the regular multigrain ones (not the whole wheat, which I find are tasteless). If that's the case, how come they taste so sweet?

Teomima

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 9:00 pm
amother wrote:
I'm talking about the regular multigrain ones (not the whole wheat, which I find are tasteless). If that's the case, how come they taste so sweet?

Multigrain Cheerios Is a sweet cereal disguised as s "healthy" one. They are not the same thing as the original, plain, non-sweet Cheerios.

yogabird

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 9:00 pm
amother wrote:

the regular ones are the whole grain ones. None of them have wheat, they are gluten free afaik. I just checked the multi grain ones and they have 6 grams of sugar per serving. I think that's somewhat average for boxed cereals.

chocolatecake

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 9:06 pm
What about kix or crispix

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 9:08 pm
yogabird wrote:
the regular ones are the whole grain ones. None of them have wheat, they are gluten free afaik. I just checked the multi grain ones and they have 6 grams of sugar per serving. I think that's somewhat average for boxed cereals.

Interesting. I'm not even sure if all the stores here in Israel sell the wholegrain ones. Definitely only in tiny boxes, the others are always in much bigger abundance. Always assumed the multi-grain came first and that the whole-grain is just a 'too-healthy' (aka tasteless) version...

Teomima

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 9:15 pm
amother wrote:
Interesting. I'm not even sure if all the stores here in Israel sell the wholegrain ones. Definitely only in tiny boxes, the others are always in much bigger abundance. Always assumed the multi-grain came first and that the whole-grain is just a 'too-healthy' (aka tasteless) version...

Nope, they sell them here. They're in brown boxes now. They say 'Cheerios שיבולת שועל.
' on the front. Big, normal cereal boxes. I've bought them in Shufersal, Rami Levy, Co-op Shop, Osher Ad, etc.
Regular Cheerios has been around since the 40's. Multigrain didn't come out till the 90's.

Boca00

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 10:27 pm
Quaker Oatmeal Squares, Raisin Bran, Grape Nuts Flakes, Honey Bunches of Oats, Shredded Wheat, Hot Oatmeal.

STMommy

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 10:44 pm
Try Cascadian Farms Fruitful Os

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 10:51 pm
Oatmeal, cream of wheat, granola or buttered popcorn with nutritional yeast and butter.

Pita

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 10:55 pm
Life
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children