Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Horizon blue NJ Premium up 40%, advice?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 2:25 pm
I've just received renewal for my private horizon nj policy, omnia silver hsa, and the premium is going up from 1200 to 1650!

Those who have similar private insurance in nj- what are you doing for this coming year?

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 2:25 pm
Paying through the nose.

leah233

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 2:33 pm
See if you are eligible to buy an Obamacare policy.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 2:35 pm
I'm going to try going off my private insurance, and get onto Jersey Care. That's MY plan.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 2:54 pm
I have insurance through my employer, but we used to have Horizon and switched to another company recently for this reason. Can you switch companies?

faigyl

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 2:57 pm
Nothing- we are stuck. I wish there was another choice.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 3:03 pm
You may want to take a look at the gold plans. Because of the uncertainty surrounding the cost sharing reductions and subsidies, some carriers have priced their silver plans higher than their gold...

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 4:38 pm
So we're not getting obamacare subsidy; I could switch plans- but switch to what?
And gold plan on horizon is even more expensive, to the tune of $2,560.

Paying through the nose it does sound like: it's $20k per year plus deductible of 4k, plus copayments, plus dental- that's close to $30k.
How is it sustainable????????!

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 6:06 pm
Op here, I'm just at a loss, am I missing something or is this how much the self-employed who dont get subsidies all pay?

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 9:48 am
We don't know how old you are, how many individuals are covered under your plan or the ages of the other people covered, but, yes. This is the state of the individual and small group health insurance market in NJ (and the health insurance market in general nationwide).

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 10:15 am
We're on a group insurance, and my premiums also went up, by a lot.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 11:28 am
amother wrote:
We don't know how old you are, how many individuals are covered under your plan or the ages of the other people covered, but, yes. This is the state of the individual and small group health insurance market in NJ (and the health insurance market in general nationwide).

You're right, premiums vary depending on age and family size. We're in mid-thirties and paying for 3 kids under 14; kids are in cheapest premium age bracket and we adults are a little more expensive than the youngest age group.
We're not 20 after all; under 30 one could get catastrophic coverage and be done with it.
Other ages are way more expensive, going up to 600-900 per adult for ages 45-50-60.

Our premium comes out to 1650 (was 1200), plus $3600 deductible. That's positively insane.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics