Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Pay discrimination in the workplace - WWYD?!
1  2  Next

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 10:47 pm
Wwyd if you found out (inadvertently, but for a fact) that a male co-worker is paid close to double the amount as you - for the same work (although in my case he actually has LESS responsibilities)
I'm furious especially since it took a lot of time to bump me up to my current salary

would you just give up and look for a new job? stick it out and hope for the best? confront your boss? or even sue?

cooksallday

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 10:51 pm
This is the sick and sad reality of most working environments, but I would stick it out and see if you can arrange a review meeting where you mention expected salary. If they still do not budge I would look for something that pays your worth...

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 10:53 pm
Probably start looking around for something new.

Honestly though, we don't have enough information to really advise you one way or another

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 10:59 pm
cooksallday wrote:
This is the sick and sad reality of most working environments

source?

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 11:07 pm
Am I being hopelessly naive if I ask if this is legal?

momX4

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 11:10 pm
request a meeting.

State you would like a new job title that reflects your actual job. You would also like to renegotiate your salary and bring it current. Without mentioning your workmate, tell them that people that do your job get paid in the range of $XX to $XX. You would like to be compensated equally.

based on their response you may decide its time to move on.

cooksallday

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 11:11 pm
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....ling. Not saying this is right but it is still an issue which is well hidden.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 11:13 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/....._1963

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 11:14 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

No it is certainly not legal
check out the Equal Pay Act

just not sure how easy it is to prove
in my case, I can get proof that we have similar responsibilities and beyond diff pay (and I have more experience btw) but the employer could push back and make up a reason other than gender for the pay difference

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 11:14 pm
cooksallday wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_ceiling. Not saying this is right but it is still an issue which is well hidden.

not a glass ceiling issue if both have same position.

RebekahsMom

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 11:22 pm
It also depends on your hiring terms. I applied for a part time job asking for $3 more an hour than what the boss was offering. She took a look at my resume, and gave me $2. I walked in the door making more than people that had been there 1-2 yrs.

Similarly, my brother applied for a salaried job asking several thousand more than offered, and they gave it to him. When a (male) coworker complained, he was told that he agreed to work for the lower amount when he was brought on, so there was no recourse.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 11:24 pm
This is an issue everywhere, ESPECIALLY in the frum world where they view the men as the breadwinners and the women as "contributing."

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 11:28 pm
Nobody should be saying this is illegal when you do not have all the facts. OP says they have the same job/ responsibilities. How do we know he isn't better/ faster? How do we know he hasn't been with the company longer? Was hired with more years experience and thus just naturally coming into the company with a higher starting salary. Maybe OP has missed a lot of days dealing with family stuff/ maternity illness. Maybe this guy is getting a higher salary because he declined insurance or other benefits. So many things we don't know and a very hard case to make.

OP, I wouldn't mention it but I would ask for a raise if you feel you are deserving.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 11:36 pm
amother wrote:
Nobody should be saying this is illegal when you do not have all the facts. OP says they have the same job/ responsibilities. How do we know he isn't better/ faster? How do we know he hasn't been with the company longer? Was hired with more years experience and thus just naturally coming into the company with a higher starting salary. Maybe OP has missed a lot of days dealing with family stuff/ maternity illness. Maybe this guy is getting a higher salary because he declined insurance or other benefits. So many things we don't know and a very hard case to make.

OP, I wouldn't mention it but I would ask for a raise if you feel you are deserving.

OP here - you raised valid questions but factually none of the above apply (I have more experience, rarely take off, etc)

amother
Burlywood

I had that. Was fed up. When I requested $2 more per hour upon starting, I was denied. Later found out someone who started a month before me was making about $20,000 more than me. His responsibilities were far less, he'd slack off coming on time and would leave early and want too productive. His was salary and nobody cared to change it although he wasn't working half as hard. I was paid hourly and worked like crazy - no credit. Eventually moved on. Raises weren't fair as well..
Do what you need for yourself.

amother
Puce

amother wrote:

Here is a fact. This is the law.

No employer having employees subject to any provisions of this section [section 206 of title 29 of the United States Code] shall discriminate, within any establishment in which such employees are employed, between employees on the basis of relations by paying wages to employees in such establishment at a rate less than the rate at which he pays wages to employees of the opposite relations in such establishment for equal work on jobs[,] the performance of which requires equal skill, effort, and responsibility, and which are performed under similar working conditions, except where such payment is made pursuant to (I) a seniority system; (ii) a merit system; (iii) a system which measures earnings by quantity or quality of production; or (iv) a differential based on any other factor other than relations...

Whether OPs boss is violating this law with regard to her pay would be something a lawyer could advise her on.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 12:20 am
I happens everywhere, unfortunately.
In almost every frum business I have worked at, it's an open secret that the men were making significantly more. It's no use fighting unless u r prepared to go all the way I.e. lose ur job, go to a dinner Torah.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 7:25 pm
I had that. Found out s/o hired 2 years after me was getting paid more than me. Same job description, but I wasn't allowed to do certain parts of it cuz I'm female. I went to the boss and protested. I was given the raise to equal them and a bonus to apologize/make up for some of the 'loss' I had by not getting paid the same.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 11:28 pm
It's illegal but it's widely done just as discrimination against older workers is illegal but widely done.

You can sue - I did - but get your ducks in a row in terms of performance evaluation and any other stealth information you can get like resumes of your co-workers and what projects they are doing. Whatever you do, stay off the company emails so you don't leave any trace of what you might be planning.

Set up a meeting with an attorney - the meeting is well worth it in terms of specific advice on how to protect yourself.

Once you have actually filed a claim with the EEOC or simultaneously served them with a lawsuit, you are protected because if they fire you, they are going to almost certainly be faced with a judgment for retaliation.

It isn't a pleasant experience and obviously you're burning your bridges with that employer which is why I advice spending a bit of money to seek counsel from an experienced employment lawyer.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 8:14 am
amother wrote:
This is an issue everywhere, ESPECIALLY in the frum world where they view the men as the breadwinners and the women as "contributing."

I guess they never heard of Lakewood.

Or they're just being a bunch of idiotic mysogynists.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics