Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
SPELT RECIPES ANYONE?

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 4:47 pm
Hi
I have switched over to Spelt flour for my family..I honestly feel the difference in myself and my kids. Any good recipes? Cakes cookies or just recipes?

pond user

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 5:44 pm
We only use spelt flour in our home for years. In my opinion you can take any recipe and switch wheat flour to spelt without tasting a difference.

browser

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 6:44 pm
Same here
Spelt can replace wheat in regular recipes

N'sMom

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 7:10 pm
I also have been using spelt for years. It is as good, or better than wheat in every recipe I have tried it in. (In case of something where moisture is a plus, like brownies, it is WAY better.) The only thing where you need to pay some attention is when using it in challah or other yeast breads. Spelt has less gluten than wheat, especially if you are used to using bread flour. It won't rise quite as much, although the challah will be delicious. One way to mitigate this is to be sure to knead enough. You should knead until you see that the dough has developed strands of gluten. It also helps to bake it in pans (loaf, round or muffin) rather than just on a baking sheet, so the dough has something to climb on.

yogabird

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 7:11 pm
Taste will be the same, texture will be different. Will work for some recipes, not for others.

rowo

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 7:15 pm
I've also been using only spelt for a good few years. I have no problem just using it instead of wheat flour in recipes.
With challah, though, I've found the total opposite to what the previous poster wrote.
Spelt challah dough doesn't need a lot of kneading. I don't really knead at all, just mix the dough (by hand, don't have a mixer big enough) until everything is well incorporated.
My challah rises and is soft and delicious. (I use white spelt for challah).
When I give my kids some dough to shape and they knead it and shape it a million times their piece becomes much more sticky and when I bake it their challah is more crumbly.

The recipe from chanalew.com is really good

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 7:51 pm
I use this recipe for all breads.... challah, rolls, hotdog buns, etc. Follow the directions exactly for the kneading time, etc. I have decreased the liquid slightly in this recipe as well.
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/r.....=true

When you are substituting spelt flour for regular flour, you need to decrease the liquid in the recipe. It takes a few tries to get the perfect liquid/flour ratio but you can always increase the flour if its too liquidy on the first few tries.

THe only recipe that I never managed to fully convert properly was my homemade kishka recipe.

Hatzlacha to you! It takes a lot to take this step but your family will definitely appreciate it!

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 3:05 am
Thanks everyone for the advice.
Was wondering what the difference was between spelt 100% and White spelt flour..Does white mean it isnt 100% spelt?
Thanks

JalapeƱo

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 10:57 am
Whole wheat flour means the entire grain--endosperm, germ, and bran--are ground up. White flour contains only the endosperm.

The endosperm has gluten and starch (much easier for rising) while the bran and germ have fiber and minerals, but require more kneading to develop the gluten. (and obviously whole flour tastes different than white flour).

Basically, white spelt is 100% spelt, but does not use 100% of the spelt grain.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking