Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Looking for advice from fiction writers
1  2  Next

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 1:20 pm
I'm trying to write a fictional short story. (I generally write non-fiction.)

No matter how many different angles I try, it always turns into one story, which is autobiographical.

Wondering if any writers out there have any advice. How can I break out of this mold and write in a fresh, inspired way about other things?

singleagain

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 1:25 pm
I write fiction.

I would try to create a profile of your fictional character. Start with stats like name, birthday, family members. Go on to physical description, personal traits. Goals in life. Strong points. Weak points.

Take some online quizzes with their mindset.

This might sound strange. But have a conversation with them, as if your meeting them for the first time.

List their favorite and least favorite foods, thinks you do etc

singleagain

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 1:26 pm
Also your first few tries will be more autobiographical then most. Try to create a character very different from you.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 1:31 pm
I write fiction too. Some of my characters definitely have traits of mine while others resemble family and friends (but only some parts of them!). When you're choosing traits, try to think of someone who has the traits you're writing about - it will help the character become more real to you.

I do what singleagain does - I create a detailed character profile for each main character and smaller profiles for less significant characters. Love that personality test idea! Also, when you encounter everyday situations, try to think about how your character would react, think, respond etc.

I'm currently working on a serial story and the very first thing I did was create a file called "characterization." I kept that file open for a while and constantly added little tidbits to each character as I developed him or her. Start with bullet points and then expound, complete with phrases in the character's voice. Get into their heads.

Good luck!

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 1:32 pm
Thank you! Idk why so hard, but I will try that. Online personality tests sound like a good idea.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 1:41 pm
It is hard! It's hard to create people with enough detail that you feel like you know them and that your readers do too. You'll get there!

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 1:41 pm
amother wrote:
I write fiction too. Some of my characters definitely have traits of mine while others resemble family and friends (but only some parts of them!). When you're choosing traits, try to think of someone who has the traits you're writing about - it will help the character become more real to you.

I do what singleagain does - I create a detailed character profile for each main character and smaller profiles for less significant characters. Love that personality test idea! Also, when you encounter everyday situations, try to think about how your character would react, think, respond etc.

I'm currently working on a serial story and the very first thing I did was create a file called "characterization." I kept that file open for a while and constantly added little tidbits to each character as I developed him or her. Start with bullet points and then expound, complete with phrases in the character's voice. Get into their heads.

Good luck!

Thanks! Question. Do you create characters first, or your plot first?

I'm starting with plot, but all of my plots keep turning into variations of a particular experience I had.

singleagain

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 1:52 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks! Question. Do you create characters first, or your plot first?

I'm starting with plot, but all of my plots keep turning into variations of a particular experience I had.

I create a character first. And sometimes I will find a built in plot.

For instance, I made my first character, orphaned or his mother and being raised by a step-father. Who doesn't know who is biological father is. BAM! built in plot. Who am I. Where do I come from.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 1:57 pm
singleagain wrote:
I create a character first. And sometimes I will find a built in plot.

For instance, I made my first character, orphaned or his mother and being raised by a step-father. Who doesn't know who is biological father is. BAM! built in plot. Who am I. Where do I come from.

Really appreciate the response. I will try spending time developing a character first and not thinking so much about plot yet.

Thanks again

amother
Black

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 1:59 pm
I do both simultaneously. Like singleagain said, often character development will lead to plot development (and vice versa). Depends on what I'm trying to accomplish with the story - if there's a particular plotline I want to explore, I start with plot, and if there's a particular character type I want to develop, I do that first.

With my current story, I did both at the same time because of the specifics: characters experiencing a particular process together, told from three different viewpoints, so the plot and characters are very intertwined.

singleagain

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 1:59 pm
amother wrote:
Really appreciate the response. I will try spending time developing a character first and not thinking so much about plot yet.

Thanks again

No prob. If you like, I'll be happy to provide feedback. Pm of email me jerseysingleagain@gmail.com

sequoia

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 2:01 pm
Everyone has this problem, even great writers! Nabokov’s “Mary,” for instance.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 2:23 pm
All of your encouragement means so much to me ladies. Really appreciate it! Singleagain, that's so sweet of you. At this time I don't even have anything to show (that I haven't deleted...).

singleagain

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 2:26 pm
amother wrote:
All of your encouragement means so much to me ladies. Really appreciate it! Singleagain, that's so sweet of you. At this time I don't even have anything to show (that I haven't deleted...).

Another trick. DON'T delete. That is to say. Do not edit yourself as you write. Write, and edit only after. And don't edit before you show someone else.

Stephan King tossed Carrie in the trash and his wife picked it out. And encouraged him to continue.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 2:34 pm
singleagain wrote:
Another trick. DON'T delete. That is to say. Do not edit yourself as you write. Write, and edit only after. And don't edit before you show someone else.

Stephan King tossed Carrie in the trash and his wife picked it out. And encouraged him to continue.

No way!! shock Wow ok that got my attention!

Maybe better to make a file and call it First Attempts or something instead of deleting but honestly....I can't imagine ever using any of that stuff.

singleagain

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 2:35 pm
amother wrote:
No way!! shock Wow ok that got my attention!

Maybe better to make a file and call it First Attempts or something instead of deleting but honestly....I can't imagine ever using any of that stuff.

You don't have to use it. But by just writing it might get you in the habit. If you constantly self edit and delete over and over you'll never get through the story you want to tell.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 3:03 pm
singleagain wrote:
You don't have to use it. But by just writing it might get you in the habit. If you constantly self edit and delete over and over you'll never get through the story you want to tell.

I hear. That's exactly what I do...

singleagain

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 3:04 pm
amother wrote:
I hear. That's exactly what I do...

Then it's really hard. But don't. I'd even say automatical send it. Before you can start changing.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 4:31 pm
Early on someone taught me that fiction tends to be primarily “character driven” or “situation driven,” (hopefully incorporating both!) and that the strongest works tend to begin with character. He pointed out the sitcom Seinfeld as a prime example. “The show about nothing.” Why was it so good? Because there was never a single “stock character.” EVERYONE had a backstory, a unique personality, an agenda...

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 4:35 pm
Regarding the issue of deleting/over editing as you write... I save multiple drafts as I go. I rarely, if ever, outright delete things. And when I do, they go in a separate file called, “deleted content.” But in general what I do is save each file as “title.date” and if I save multiple times per day then I label them “title.dateA,” “title.dateB,” “title.dateC,” and so on.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club