Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Looking for advice from fiction writers
Previous  1  2

Optimystic

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 5:38 pm
amother wrote:
I'm trying to write a fictional short story. (I generally write non-fiction.)

No matter how many different angles I try, it always turns into one story, which is autobiographical.

Wondering if any writers out there have any advice. How can I break out of this mold and write in a fresh, inspired way about other things?

I think autobiographical can be a strength. My main characters tend to be versions of me with a few key differences, e.g. different age, different family situation, different society, and almost always a lot less caution. They get to say and do things I'd never say or do myself (though I sometimes want to), and sometimes they get away with it.

If your subconscious wants to write an autobiographical story, then start with that. Change a few key details (add or subtract a character, make a very different choice at a key moment), and it will turn into something very different.

BasMelech120

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 8:06 pm
Let the writing happen. If it turns into an autobiography, let it be. Write it 5, 10, 15 times if need be. See if changes happen between stories. Then, once you've gotten it out, given the story a voice, see if some other stories emerge.

Try different characters - different gender, different age, different settings. See what that does.

wordsmith

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 11:45 am
Hi, a couple of things that I hope can help.

First, since you mentioned that you keep defaulting the plot to an actual event, that event may need to come out of your story. It could be that you, personally, are so close to the event that you can't envision another scenario/outcome for your characters.

Two, while you and your characters may share some traits there are places where you will diverge. For instance, let's suppose you can't start your day without two extra-large coffees from Dunkin Donuts, but your character absolutely despises coffee. What happens when your character is put into a situation where he/she must hang out with coffee-lovers? Does she protest? Does she sit at hte table and twiddle her thumbs? Does the smell simply revolt her?

Ask yourself what motivates your character. Why does she do the things she does? Those things need to come into play when writing your story.

Third, don't take the easy road. Your characters need challenges. They need to hit the brick wall to evolve in fictional stories.

Hope some of this was helpful. Good luck! (Just for the record, everyone has challenges when writing fiction!)

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 12:48 pm
Ladies, you've all given me lots to think about and excellent tips and encouragement. I really can't thank you enough!

It's also really encouraging to be reminded that there are divergent methods and not just one right way....

singleagain

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 12:52 pm
amother wrote:
Ladies, you've all given me lots to think about and excellent tips and encouragement. I really can't thank you enough!

It's also really encouraging to be reminded that there are divergent methods and not just one right way....

That's very true. I wouldn't be offended at all of you found that my suggestions weren't right for you. Try the various methods and see what works best for you

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 5:59 pm
singleagain wrote:
That's very true. I wouldn't be offended at all of you found that my suggestions weren't right for you. Try the various methods and see what works best for you

Your posts were very helpful!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club