Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Laundry advice

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 9:53 am
hi. I need really spelled out laundry instructions. I like to do laundry once or twice a week. I only have two kids so we don't have as much laundry as a bigger family who would do it every day.

My preschooler gets filthy and I really don't want her staining all of her clothing. I read people talking about cleaning it with dish soap but that you have to wash it out before you put it in the washing machine so how does that work? She gets dirty on a day that I don't plan to do laundry do I just brush in the soap and leave it like that for a few days and then before I put in the wash I rinse it out? So I'm rinsing a whole bunch of clothing and then putting them wet in the machine? same with soaking- do I do it right away so that the stain doesn't set but then I have wet laundry sitting around for a few days or do it the day that I plan to wash them? Saw someone said they start their laundry and then stop it and let it soap overnight- does that work?

then we get to the hanging- I find that sometimes when I hang stuff to dry they get very stiff and don't feel nice, is there anyway to prevent that? does it have to do with how many items I'm hanging at once, people make it sound like they hang a lot of their clothing, how do you have room for that?

Thank you!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 10:12 am
It you don't use too much of the spray, you can spray this really good homemade pre-treatment on the clothes and won't need to rinse it out. I got it from a poster here. I wish I could remember who it was that posted it. It works for every day stains but obviously some stains require elbow grease aka physical scrubbing. Spray 15 minutes before you're ready to wash the clothes.

1 (16 oz) bottle hydrogen peroxide
1 cup Dawn dish soap

Mix together in a spray bottle as use as needed.

Otherwise, use Zout spray which is the best of the store bought pre-treatments, but again, doesn't work for everything; some things You just have to work hard on. This is safe to spray and let sit in the hamper until you're ready to wash.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 10:22 am
so the first option I do closer to when I actually do the wash and the second option I should do right away? and I chose one not both, is that correct?
Thank you!

mom2be1

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 10:23 am
Try putting the clothing in the dryer for a few minutes before hanging it up as that will keep it soft.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 10:24 am
amother wrote:
so the first option I do closer to when I actually do the wash and the second option I should do right away? and I chose one not both, is that correct?
Thank you!

Yes Smile

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 10:31 am
how long should I put them in the dryer and what temperature?
Thank you!

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 11:36 am
For hanging, they make these hanging racks that let you hang many things on rods.
I have something like this
Target Laundry Drying Rack

bargainlover

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 11:42 am
I put everything I hang to dry on low for 10 minutes before I hang so it's soft. Also I spray shout a few hours before I wash it , sometime soak the whole load in the machine overnight. How I do that is u put the load in, detergent , a scoop of oxi clean powder, turn on machine and don't close cover. Next morning close cover and start wash. Works gre a t for really dirty clothes.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 11:45 am
I found the thread! The poster was jflower.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....=dawn
Thank you jflower for this great pre-treatment!

tweety1

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 9:43 pm
mom2be1 wrote:
Try putting the clothing in the dryer for a few minutes before hanging it up as that will keep it soft.

No! No! No! In the event you find a stain that you missed, the dryer sets a stain. Even if it was in the dryer just a few minutes, you'll never be able to get the stain out.

fbmommy

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 10:04 pm
I hang a lot of stuff on hangers on my shower rod and I guess the moisture in the bathroom keeps it really soft

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 11:13 pm
My hang dry clothes also get stiff. When they're completely dry I put them in the dryer on air fluff mode for 15 minutes which softens them up without using heat.

lucky14

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 11:33 pm
I put shout on and rub it in a bit. If that doesn't seem to be doing anything then I put dawn dish soap on and rub that in. Then I leave it to soak in a bucket of water with a little detergent in it until I'm ready to wash it (sometimes that's like a day or two). I rinse it all off but just a light rinse I don't really get all the soap and stuff out and then wash it. I get over worried about stains setting in. btw I never heard about dish soap being bad for your washing machine. Why is that so?

oh and sometimes even with all of my insane stain treatments sometimes a stain STILL wont come out and when that's the case I leave it in a bucket of warm water that I've added a scoop of oxi-clean to and let that soak overnight and then wash it in detergent the next day. That stuff works magic - I just don't feel like it's so great for the clothing so I only use it as a last resort.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 8:29 am
lucky14 when you say wash in detergent after letting it soak you mean you do a load for one item?

studying_torah

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 12:23 pm
Is the peroxide ok for dark clothes- won't bleach them?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 1:39 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Is the peroxide ok for dark clothes- won't bleach them?

Yes. When I saw jflower's post I decided to try it because I've used hydrogen peroxide before for fruit stains and blood stains. And I use Dawn on food and dirt stains daily.

LovetoLive

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 2:04 pm
My method for laundry is to sort into darks lights etc and spray all stains with oxiclean stain remover, whenever I have time. Then when I have accumulated a load of any category I wash it. The stain remover is fine to sit until washing day. And I don't need to rinse it or scrub it unless its dried blood. Dried Blood needs soaking and scrubbing with hydrogen peroxide. Everything else comes right out.
I also add a scoop of oxiclean powder to every white load. It really helps to keep clothes white.

I don't use bleach on clothing in general.
I do put a small amount of bleach in every towel/ shmatta load and I wash towels in hot water.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry