Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Stroller drama

chag334

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 7:42 am
Hi! I have twin 3 year old boys. My double stroller just broke (not repairable). Could I get by with a cheap umbrella at this point? They don't nap in the stroller anymore. But they don't walk long distances either. Thanks!

smileyfaces

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 7:46 am
By 3 my DD was basically done with the stroller. Problem is if you are using it for a trip with a lot of walking an umbrella would be really difficult with 3 year olds.

chag334

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 7:51 am
smileyfaces wrote:
By 3 my DD was basically done with the stroller. Problem is if you are using it for a trip with a lot of walking an umbrella would be really difficult with 3 year olds.

Wow done by 3? My boys get exhausted after a few blocks. We don't have a car as we are in the city so we walk everywhere... Far away parks, etc. also I'm thinking an umbrella won't cut it on the snowy streets this winter

smileyfaces

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 8:03 am
chag334 wrote:
Wow done by 3? My boys get exhausted after a few blocks. We don't have a car as we are in the city so we walk everywhere... Far away parks, etc. also I'm thinking an umbrella won't cut it on the snowy streets this winter

Yes she was a great walker and was happy to walk most places.
Oh no definitely not an umbrella if you walk everywhere!
What about a citi mini they’re not that expensive and maybe you can sell it when your boys turn 5 or you completely stop using it?

Iymnok

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 8:05 am
You need to train them to walk.
That means closer parks and shopping for a bit. The hard part is carrying your bags.
I stop relying on the stroller once my kids have been walking for about a half a year. Usually we hardly need it by age 2 except when I know it will be a long or far trip. My 3 1/2 yo never needs it.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 8:19 am
We still have my 4 year old in a stroller for longer distances (more than 15 minutes).

I don't have twins, so hard to say, but we do fine with just one kid in a good quality umbrella stroller, ours is a Maclaren - one of the more simple ones which doesn't recline, but they are easy to push and are light weight themselves.

We don't get much snow here, so I can't say much about how it is in snow.

Raisin

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 8:28 am
theoretically twins might be ok switching over in a single stroller, one walks while the other sits.

I would just buy a second hand city mini. You will likely need it for another year at least if you walk a lot.

maidale

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 8:33 am
Don’t buy a cheap umbrella is you’re a heavy user. It’ll be impossible to push with 2 older kids in it and you’ll break your back!! Rather buy a second hand better quality. You can get some amazing deals on second hand strollers.

simba

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 9:16 am
Two 3 year olds are heavy and the cheap unbrella's are not built to carry that weight.
Maybe get a single with a buggy board. Otherwise search craigslist for a used double citi mini.

Yes, my 3 year old is a kvetch and hates walking so I do use the stroller when I could.

sneakermom

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 9:23 am
Get a used good double stroller. I think with twins you need the convenience of being able to settle them down in one place, while walking around town.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 9:32 am
By 3 you shouldn't need a stroller except really long distances (unless actual physical condition). My eldest stopped using the stroller at 2.5 except for walks of more than 30 minutes or if it was a late Friday night meal. I didnt offer it and I didn't use it again for normal use until #2. Train them- don't make it a default to use one now that it isnt around. So go to closer parks and Just walk there. Go to closer stores etc. If after 3 or 4 weeks you cant manage at all then look into a used double. Make it into a positive thing- "now that it broke it is great! We are all so big that we can walk places and I don't need a stroller..."
Strollers are built for little babies and those who can't walk.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 9:35 am
3 years old run everywhere. and you have 2 of them. Unless they are the calm ones and will hold your hand. Otherwise for your sanity and their safety, try to find a used one in good condition. I have twins, so I can relate, although they are teenagers know. But been there and done that. Good luck and enjoy, they grown up fast.

chag334

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 10:18 am
amother wrote:
3 years old run everywhere. and you have 2 of them. Unless they are the calm ones and will hold your hand. Otherwise for your sanity and their safety, try to find a used one in good condition. I have twins, so I can relate, although they are teenagers know. But been there and done that. Good luck and enjoy, they grown up fast.

Yes! You get me. Smile I agree and will likely do what you and the others said regarding a used double. Thanks all!! Good shabbos! May this be the worst drama we know of in our lives. Smile

pond user

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 10:46 am
I know each child is different, but by age 3 if my stroller broke I'd start training my child to walk better. I had a baby when eldest was 2 years and 5 months and I don't drive. I personally do not like double strollers or boards so I trained her to walk better. We slowly built up the distance so that when my son was born she no longer needed it.
Now she is 3 and we moved out of the community which means we walk to work and back every day for over 30 minutes each way. She does absolutely fine.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 10:51 am
My 3 year old is out of the stroller since I have 2 under her, which she is fine with since she much prefers to walk and run. I sometimes want a seat for her so she stays put! But we manage. It sounds like your boys could build up their endurance though, do they get PT?

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 11:14 am
Folks, not every kid is the same. Not every stroller use is the same. Its entirely different to use your stroller occasionally for short trips than it is to use it in connection with regular (or occasional) long walks or long days out. And there's nothing wrong with a 3 or 4 year old in a stroller.

Our sitter used to enjoy taking the kids to a park that was about a 45 minute walk from our home. Letting them run around for 3 hours or more. At the end of that, you can bet that the 4 year old wanted to be in a stroller with his little sister.

If she feels she needs a stroller for her 3 year-old twins, she should get one.

But I'd consider a single, maybe with a boogie-board, since both won't always need it at the same time.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 11:17 am
My sister used a wagon for her twins at that point.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics