Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler with (too) big appetite

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 8:22 am
Did anyone ever have this? She's my fifth child, and her appetite is humongous! Does there come a point where I, as the mother, need to stop feeding her because it's not possible for her to still be hungry? Because I don't want her tummy to hurt from overeating, especially lots of protein. I have not had this with my other children. Two were picky eaters and the other two were regular; they ate and when they didn't want anymore, they just stopped eating and that was that. And this one is often insatiable. If I let, she'll eat more chicken than any of my other children currently eat in one meal! So should I give her as much as she wants (as long as it's a healthy food) or should I do some portion control and not let her have more?

pesek zman

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 8:41 am
Has it always been this way? Or is it perhaps just a growth spurt?

If she's always been this way it's definitely worth mentioning to your pediatrician

Zehava

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 8:55 am
does she ever stop just after more or would eat nonstop if you let her?
Every child is different some eat more some less and if it’s healthy food I wouldn’t worry as long as she stops after a reasonable amount even if it’s more than the other kids. No use comparing.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 9:14 am
pesek zman wrote:
Has it always been this way? Or is it perhaps just a growth spurt?

If she's always been this way it's definitely worth mentioning to your pediatrician

Pretty much always like this. It's only been about 4 months since we switched to full-time solids.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 9:15 am
Zehava wrote:
does she ever stop just after more or would eat nonstop if you let her?
Every child is different some eat more some less and if it’s healthy food I wouldn’t worry as long as she stops after a reasonable amount even if it’s more than the other kids. No use comparing.

That's my question. I am comparing because that's the only reasonable I know. How do I figure what's a reasonable amount of chicken for an 18 month old? Is a full chicken bottom reasonable? Are three eggs reasonable? How about potato kugel, cholent? I don't worry about fruits or vegetables because I don't think too much of those will hurt her, but when it comes to proteins and carbs, I don't know if and where to draw a line.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 9:38 am
amother wrote:
Pretty much always like this. It's only been about 4 months since we switched to full-time solids.

Honestly I'd mention it to your ped

Eating 3 eggs at one sitting is atypical. That would be a lot for an adult. A full chicken bottom? You mean thigh and leg? Sounds like a lot for an 18 month old.

If she can finish a full slice of pizza and wants more, again, that's a lot

mha3484

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 9:43 am
My boys have had large appetites as toddlers/preschoolers but now they are 3 and 7 and have mellowed out majorly. They eat normal sized portions now. I think that as they are getting a handle on the major physical milestones they need more calories.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 12:20 pm
pesek zman wrote:

Eating 3 eggs at one sitting is atypical. That would be a lot for an adult. A full chicken bottom? You mean thigh and leg? Sounds like a lot for an 18 month old.

I'm not the OP but I am in the same situation. My child will eat 3 eggs and a lot of other stuff as well. He eats a whole slice of pizza and wants more. If we have cereal for breakfast he will eat like 3 servings. When eating with a group of 3-4 other children he will out-eat all of them combined. Everyone comments on how it's such a blessing and how he eats so well.

People say not to limit. They say that the parent can choose the foods but let the child choose how much. What about things like cereal or rice or pizza etc. those are things I'd really rather he not eat tons and tons of. But they are around in our world so I'm going to serve them sometimes- am I really supposed to let him eat as much as he wants?

I've spoken to my ped. he said he wouldn't worry about it. I'm planning on switching drs. soon I'm curious what the next one will say.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 12:25 pm
pesek zman wrote:

Doesn’t sound so atypical to me, but it depends how much else they’re eating. It can’t hurt mentioning it to your ped if you’re worried but what you write isn’t alarming to me. Is she overweight? How are her activity levels?

Raw

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 2:27 pm
mha3484 wrote:
My boys have had large appetites as toddlers/preschoolers but now they are 3 and 7 and have mellowed out majorly. They eat normal sized portions now. I think that as they are getting a handle on the major physical milestones they need more calories.

This.
My toddlers also consumed frightening amounts of food, real food, and I always had to be the one to end the meal because they’d just keep eating.

Now they still eat well but much smaller portions.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 5:18 pm
Op I would mention it to the ped.
My 2.8 yo was a terrible nurser and eater.
She was 28 months and 21 lbs.... She is now 24lbs. Bh! And has started eating better.

At some point during this summer (she hained 3 lbs!!!) She started eating nonstop. She could eat TWO whole chicken bottoms and still ask for more (that's when I said no and offered other foods or no food).
At this point, she mellowed out. When she's full she just stops eating.

My other kid can also eat nonstop. Asks for food ALL day long and she is much older. She always was a tall kid. She wore 12month at 3mo. And now wears size 6 as a 4.5 yo) At her last physical I mentioned it to her ped. He strongly suggested OT. He believes is sensory.

I never would have thought about that being sensory related. But now that he said that I started noticing more stuff and it makes more sense.

So I say run it by the ped.

Also, before 2-3 I wouldn't worry about portion control. They usually aren't self aware enough to feel full and understand that they need to stop eating.

saw50st8

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 5:46 pm
I had this one of my kids. At 18 months, he could eat a canteloupe. Yep, you read that right!

The pediatrician said to increase his fluid intake and definitely restrict him. Not to make a big issue out of it, but to distract him after he had a full serving of food and see if he's still asking for food a bit later. It definitely helped.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 6:45 pm
saw, that's a good point, to increase her fluids. After a bottle (of 3/4 water and 1/4 juice), she eats more tamely.

And most of you who responded, did naturally control portions I see.

my mama

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 10:36 pm
My daughter can eat as long as she sees food. So once she's done I try to distract her with her toys.
There was one time where after she finished an entire chicken bottom (at 18 months) she cried because I threw away the bones

myname1

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 1:45 am
amother wrote:
I'm not the OP but I am in the same situation. My child will eat 3 eggs and a lot of other stuff as well. He eats a whole slice of pizza and wants more. If we have cereal for breakfast he will eat like 3 servings. When eating with a group of 3-4 other children he will out-eat all of them combined. Everyone comments on how it's such a blessing and how he eats so well.

People say not to limit. They say that the parent can choose the foods but let the child choose how much. What about things like cereal or rice or pizza etc. those are things I'd really rather he not eat tons and tons of. But they are around in our world so I'm going to serve them sometimes- am I really supposed to let him eat as much as he wants?

I've spoken to my ped. he said he wouldn't worry about it. I'm planning on switching drs. soon I'm curious what the next one will say.

When they say "You control what and the child controls how much," I think they mean you make sure it's not just cereal, rice, and pizza. So after the child has a bowl of cereal, offer an apple instead of more cereal. Then if they're still hungry, they'll eat a fruit/veggie, otherwise not. At least in theory, I think that's how it's supposed to work. But no, not 3 bowls of cereal because he wants more and that's what we're eating now.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 5:20 am
I am fascinated just reading about toddlers who eat whole chicken bottoms. My toddler barely ever eats anything. Period. His meals usually consist of 2-3 bites of yogurt or cheerios. I guess everyone has their own issues. But I would just run it by your pediatrician, op.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 8:20 am
I had a toddler who typically ate between 2-3 full yogurts a day. (Stoneyfield, back when they were 8 oz each.) Sometimes he ate 4. This is when he was 2 and still nursing. One time we drove a few hours for a trip, so I couldn't nurse him except for morning before we left on the trip and in the evening. That day, he ate 8 Stoneyfield vanilla yogurts.

He survived and thrived. This same child, now a teenager, can eat half a box of Honey Bunches of Oats and a pint of milk at one serving. Still skinny, but now he's tall.

To me, eating a chicken bottom doesn't seem like a big deal. Sometimes toddlers are hungry. Sometimes they're not.

rachelbg

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 10:03 pm
My kids were all serious eaters like that, certainly at that age! It felt like they were bottomless pits! I’d set out a full plate of reasonable portion sizes, well-rounded meals with all the different food groups each time. When he/she wanted more, I’d offer more protein, then load up on the veggies and fruits. Once I felt enough was enough, I’d tell the child he/she is done, and move the child on to the next activity. Sometimes there was crying, but it let up after a minute. I knew he/she wasn’t starving! They were all solid, bellied toddlers, they’ve evened themselves out. It’s amazing how they learn to self regulate, it sometimes just takes some guidance.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 3:55 am
rachelbg wrote:
It felt like they were bottomless pits! I’d set out a full plate of reasonable portion sizes, well-rounded meals with all the different food groups each time. When he/she wanted more, I’d offer more protein, then load up on the veggies and fruits. Once I felt enough was enough, I’d tell the child he/she is done, and move the child on to the next activity. Sometimes there was crying, but it let up after a minute. I knew he/she wasn’t starving! They were all solid, bellied toddlers, they’ve evened themselves out. I.

This is exactly how I feel and what I've been doing. I've just been hoping that it's not "wrong" that I usually end the meal by saying "enough".

oh a side note last night my toddler ate only grapes for dinner and I was actually excited about it (OK more like relieved that he will actually say no once in a while). I'd offered chicken, fish, leftover cholent, green & red grapes and a veggie side dish and all he wanted were the green grapes. LOL. I'm one of the worried posters above.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics