Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
S/O why are some ppl hesitant to give out recipes?
1  2  Next

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 10:46 pm
Growing up, I had a relative who was famous for never giving out her recipes, though she was supposedly a great cook.
Why might that be?
Never understood it.

Boca00

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 10:48 pm
I've heard of people who give out recipes but leave out important ingredients so yours doesn't come out as good.

flowerpower

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 10:49 pm
I gladly give but sometimes I have no patience to take out my recipe book and start dictating the ingredients and instructions.

Boca00

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 10:51 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Growing up, I had a relative who was famous for never giving out her recipes, though she was supposedly a great cook.
Why might that be?
Never understood it.

Are you the person who texted the OP of the cholent thread for her recipe??

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 10:56 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I gladly give but sometimes I have no patience to take out my recipe book and start dictating the ingredients and instructions.

That's not what I'm referring to. I'm guilty of that too

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 10:56 pm
Boca00 wrote:
I've heard of people who give out recipes but leave out important ingredients so yours doesn't come out as good.

Such small mindedness!

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 10:57 pm
Boca00 wrote:
Are you the person who texted the OP of the cholent thread for her recipe??

That's the thread the made me think of my op.
Perhaps my relative never cooked, and only bought takeout but passed it on as her own, and that's why she never gave out recipes.

shanabanana

Post Sat, Oct 28 2017, 11:05 pm
Why don't you ask someone who does not give out recipes what the reasoning is, and then share it with us

Jeanette

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 1:22 am
even when two people follow the same recipe it doesn't always come out the same. I use my mother's challah recipe but I can never get mine as light and fluffy as hers.
that's why it really makes no sense to refuse to give out recipes. Some recipes take particular skill and talent to make. Just knowing the recipe doesn't mean you'll make it well.

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 1:33 am
I guess some people take pride in making a specific dish better than anybody else, or in making a special dish that nobody else can make.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 1:48 am
I cook without recipes. When people ask me, I genuinely cannot provide it. I don't mind disclosing the ingredients to the best of my memory, but I have no idea of amounts and I might have forgotten an ingredient or two. I sure hope people don't think I'm lying and not wanting to share recipes.

SYA

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 1:50 am
I know someone who wouldn't give out her recipes. The reason was cause she was a professional baker and sold her baked goods. If she would give out her recipes then no one would buy her baked goods which she was famous around town for, and she wouldn't have a parnassa.

crust

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 2:05 am
allthingsblue wrote:
That's the thread the made me think of my op.
Perhaps my relative never cooked, and only bought takeout but passed it on as her own, and that's why she never gave out recipes.

Didnt read that thread.
I was once at a very small simcha which the hostess claimed she cooked with her ten fingers.

The one dish that really made me wonder was the soup. In every plate of vegetable soup there was a handfull of 1/4 inch diameter matzo balls. It was miniature, perfect and gusto.
The meal was gourmet. Every single dish. But nothing made me curious except for this one. I couldnt understand how she made it? She even said she made it that day!!

Whenever I asked her how she was able to make it so tiny and perfect with her hands she said no big deal.... regular kneidel recipe....
I tried it a few times it was gorgeous but never that minuature size!!

A few years later, I heard her saying where she catered that simcha... Perhaps she didnt realise I was at that table? Or she simply forgot to continue lying about it.

Last edited by crust on Sun, Oct 29 2017, 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total

oliveoil

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 2:18 am
Jeanette wrote:
even when two people follow the same recipe it doesn't always come out the same. I use my mother's challah recipe but I can never get mine as light and fluffy as hers.
that's why it really makes no sense to refuse to give out recipes. Some recipes take particular skill and talent to make. Just knowing the recipe doesn't mean you'll make it well.

Actually that's exactly a reason NOT to give it out.

Because then the person makes it and walks around telling everyone that it's your recipe, when actually it tastes a whole lot better when you make it.

NOTE: I do give out recipes, but I do feel frustrated when people label recipes as mine but they have butchered them.

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 2:18 am
Professionals of course won’t give away a secret of their trade and shouldn’t be asked. My theory about laypersons is that their self esteem is based strongly upon their cooking and they have few other accomplishments. Take away their superiority in all things apple pie or surpass their brisket and you've destroyed the only thing that made them special . Those who have other accomplishments or who view their cooking as a domestic skill like any other domestic skill and not a reflection of their value as a human being can share freely because they don’t feel threatened.

Or the non sharers could just be miserable stingy people who can’t stand the thought of anyone else having what they have. I have no words to describe how despicable I think it is to deliberately doctor a recipe. Better you should state honestly if selfishly that you don’t share recipes than give out something false under the guise of friendship. That’s lower than a Dead Sea sinkhole.

Or maybe they didn’t make the dish at all but bought it. Again a self-esteem issue. II feel sorry for people who feel the need to lie about such things.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 2:23 am
Crust your story made me lol.

And as alalthingsblue said, such small mindedness!!!

I don't make gourmet food. Simple hungarian mostly.
But I do love cooking for my family. And HATE following recipes to the T. So boring!!! So when I try a new recipe I always follow exact. I taste, then add my nktes and twitch it every time I make it until its perfect.

My someone asks me for the recipe its a whole long list of instructions noone is interested in listening to or following thru. So I give the most important and leave out the rest.
Or sometimes I just say its too complicted
It really is.
I don't just not share because of snobbyness.
Once I have it written down in my recipe cards then I can glady share a picture text.
I always make sure to write down my recipes.

I dont think ill ever taste such good food as my grandmother used to make. Her cocosh cake and her honey cookies. She was famous specifically for those. But she never wrote down her recipes. She'd say in yiddish "shid arein abisel fin daim in fin yentz..... a hent fin tziker...." you get the drift. And her food is now saved only in the memory of those who had the good fortune of tasting it.

She'd always say. "A tfila tzim bashefer es zul zein kreftit" ("a tfila to hashem it should be filling/wholsome") zy"l

crust

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 2:32 am
Tzutzie wrote:
Crust your story made me lol.

And as alalthingsblue said, such small mindedness!!!

I don't make gourmet food. Simple hungarian mostly.
But I do love cooking for my family. And HATE following recipes to the T. So boring!!! So when I try a new recipe I always follow exact. I taste, then add my nktes and twitch it every time I make it until its perfect.

My someone asks me for the recipe its a whole long list of instructions noone is interested in listening to or following thru. So I give the most important and leave out the rest.
Or sometimes I just say its too complicted
It really is.
I don't just not share because of snobbyness.
Once I have it written down in my recipe cards then I can glady share a picture text.
I always make sure to write down my recipes.

I dont think ill ever taste such good food as my grandmother used to make. Her cocosh cake and her honey cookies. She was famous specifically for those. But she never wrote down her recipes. She'd say in yiddish "shid arein abisel fin daim in fin yentz..... a hent fin tziker...." you get the drift. And her food is now saved only in the memory of those who had the good fortune of tasting it.

She'd always say. "A tfila tzim bashefer es zul zein kreftit" ("a tfila to hashem it should be filling/wholsome") zy"l

I cant tell you how heartwarming your post is. Your grandmother's recipes... so close to home. It makes me feel like I know her. Smile

Truth is, which Hungarian grandmother did not make the best kokosh cake and honey pogatchlech?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 3:33 am
Don't bother with those ppl who won't provide their receipes. If you really want to find out secrets of how to succeed with a certain dish, then research the internet.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 5:28 am
I've only seen it online. People love to act superior, and they can't if you now have their super recipe.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 7:09 am
I am one of those weirdos who won't give out certain recipes. That's because I have a dream of one day writing a cookbook with recipes I've developed and I also want to go into catering/restaurants one day. Some of my recipes I view as an "invention" that needs to be patented. It's all about my dreams for a business
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics