Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What can I do with an accounting degree?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 5:00 pm
If I don't want to be an accountant any more? I have my CPA and several years of experience. I would prefer not to go back to school.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 5:14 pm
throwing this back at you - have you done more than one type of accounting job? There are a range of things an accountant does, that take advantage of the CPA earning power.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 5:31 pm
Yes. I've done tax and a controller/cfo type job. I really need a change.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 5:32 pm
amother wrote:
If I don't want to be an accountant any more? I have my CPA and several years of experience. I would prefer not to go back to school.

Controller, auditor, tax controversy, forensic accountant, finance, to name a few. I love tax controversy and procedure but you need to gain experience.

samantha87

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 6:29 pm
Lots of general business management and finance work, from what I've seen. Some have MBAs or CFAs, but many don't.

To be more creative, financial planning, teaching CPA review, general business classes.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 7:00 pm
My friend makes great money on her own schedule tutoring people for the CPA.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 7:58 pm
Many companies require that the people in HR ( Human Resources) have a CPA . Perhaps that's something that would interest you. A director of an HR dept. may be suitable for you and more enjoyable.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 8:00 pm
A really weird idea - colleges pay top dollar for accounting professors. Would you want to teach?

Also, I personally know a few people with accounting degrees/CPA who don't necessarily work as an accountant - but they are able to get a higher salary because they have perceived higher qualifications. They do different business things - I'm not sure what each job title is - but not exactly accounting, so you could try that.

Cookiegirl

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 8:49 pm
There are all kinds of treasury and compliance roles in businesses that don't have a direct relationship with tax, audit and bookkeeping. You can get involved in licensing, operations management, project management, cost estimating, regulatory compliance, research etc. A CPA is a valuable credential that is taken seriously in all types of companies, even if you are not in the finance department.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 10:15 am
Maybe that's French, but some firms will pay you more to do their accounting without it being your main job, if you don't want to just do accounting. My husband didn't finish his degree but has been doing accounting for places.

finprof

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 10:55 am
Magenta is sort of correct- you can teach but without a PhD there are limited positions. You could teach at a community college or adjunct at a university, but the pay would be less than you are making now. In some cases, you could apply for PQ (professionally qualified) positions in an AACSB accredited program. Look at higheredjobs.com or the chronical for listings.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 12:32 pm
finprof wrote:
Magenta is sort of correct- you can teach but without a PhD there are limited positions. You could teach at a community college or adjunct at a university, but the pay would be less than you are making now. In some cases, you could apply for PQ (professionally qualified) positions in an AACSB accredited program. Look at higheredjobs.com or the chronical for listings.

Actually, my professor in accounting only had a master's. She is not an adjunct professor, either, but head of the department. I think accounting is different in this regard than other subjects.

If I remember correctly, these are categorized differently - I think it's called a lecturer but they act as a professor.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 7:52 pm
I have a CPA and work in Internal Audit more of a focus on control testing than only financial risk

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 8:39 am
A lot of people who major in accounting in college purposely go onto general business/finance positions and never work in accounting. I'm sure you could do something similar, and your work experience can only help. Be prepared to explain why you are looking to leave accounting.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jul 07 2019, 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

finprof

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 9:07 pm
a lecturer is not a professor- the difference is that they are not required to research. These positions can be PQ but top out around 65K

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 9:50 pm
finprof wrote:
a lecturer is not a professor- the difference is that they are not required to research. These positions can be PQ but top out around 65K

I just checked salaries in the university that I went to - average salary for an accounting lecturer in that university is $75,000 - and this university is not a particularly well paying one. Accounting professors generally get higher salaries than professors of other subjects.

I'm not saying that anyone here wants to be an accounting lecturer/professor, though! Just a thought, that's all.

finprof

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 9:59 pm
whatever, experience vs google believe what you want

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 10:02 pm
finprof wrote:
whatever, experience vs google believe what you want

Sorry, you mean that you were an accounting lecturer? I guess google is not that honest over here....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics