Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Wwyd when kids suddenly want (healthy!) food at bedtime
1  2  Next

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 7:47 pm
my 4 yo daughter who is very underweight has a habit of coming out of bed and asking to eat after shes been put to bed. I started warning her before bedtime and ltting her eat something right before but she still suddenly will say shes hungry for chicken, salad, etc.(she seems to relaize that I snacks are completely out of the question then so she doesnt even try) im conflicted because on the one hand I dont want to encourage this behavior, but on the other hand it is very hard to tell a skinny underweight child who eats but does not eat very much during the day, when they are complaining that theyre starving that they cannot eat anything..

Boca00

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 7:54 pm
Can you give her one "healthy food" card that she can use once a night, or 3 cards for the week? Then she will want to save it for when she actually needs it.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 8:27 pm
Put a healthy snack by her bed, like half of a chicken salad sandwich or peanut butter and jelly.

If she's underweight, let her eat. But she has to stay in bed.

imamother153

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 8:59 pm
U can tell her supper or healthy snacks are only being served up untill 6:30 (or time u prefer.). If u stick to eat calmly but firmly shell see ur being serious about it and make sure she's satisfied by then.

lucky14

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 9:00 pm
amother wrote:
Put a healthy snack by her bed, like half of a chicken salad sandwich or peanut butter and jelly.

If she's underweight, let her eat. But she has to stay in bed.

but make sure she brushes her teeth again! (of course this goes for even if she gets out of bed to eat also).

studying_torah

Post Mon, Oct 30 2017, 9:44 pm
If she is eating right before bed, she might feel too full to eat properly the next morning. Then come nighttime she is hungry.
It is a vicious cycle, but you need to break it.
Don't feed her so late, and let her have a bigger breakfast in the morning instead.

lattemom

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 9:49 am
I let my kids bring an apple up to bed. This way there is no getting out of bed, it's healthy and not heavy. It is also nature's toothbrush Smile

simba

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 9:55 am
I am guilty of not being able to say no to my kids when they tell me they are hungry and they are not at all underweight. I will bring a sliced up fruit, vegi or something healthy and let them eat it in bed. NO ONE COMES OUT OF BED!

flowerpower

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 10:01 am
Before she goes to bed offer her a fruit or something healthy. Could be is hungry again by then.

Pita

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 10:24 am
We have the same problem. Bananas are fast to eat and filling.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 10:59 am
Hmmm. I always have this problem. I have a very firm "food in the kitchen!" rule.... I'm wondering if I should start bringing apples to bed next time they ask. Usually I tell them they can eat a big breakfast in the AM but it is now bed time. Even if they cry.

simba

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 11:01 am
amother wrote:
Hmmm. I always have this problem. I have a very firm "food in the kitchen!" rule.... I'm wondering if I should start bringing apples to bed next time they ask. Usually I tell them they can eat a big breakfast in the AM but it is now bed time. Even if they cry.

You are a tough mommy! Sometimes I wish I can say no, I cant.

Pita

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 11:02 am
Correction: bananas are also eaten in the kitchen. If they already are in bed, I tell them they will survive until morning.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 11:12 am
amother wrote:

Me too.
"You can have a big breakfast in the morning. "

baltomom

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 11:19 am
Kids know when we're anxious about their eating and will let them delay bedtime to eat! If you establish that they can't eat when they're in bed, they'll learn to eat better at suppertime.

I say, "You're hungry? Great! The sooner you go to sleep the sooner it will be breakfast time!"

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 2:30 pm
My mom used to do the 'you'll have an extra large breakfast tomorow' when I was a kid and I remember one time feeling really extremely hungry, I was so distressed by it that till today when I think about it I can feel that sense of distress!!!!!!
I wouldn't make a straight out 'no food before bed' policy when there could be a real chance your child's hungry even if it's just the once out of the many times they request the food.....

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 2:48 pm
Btdt.
I would Let them eat. They fall asleep quicker and better on a full stomach anyway. And its a chance to get some healthy food in them.
Think about what your priority goal is. Sleeping quicker? Not gonna happen if they are hungry and upset. That they should get enough nutrition? Let them eat. To prevent this from becoming a nightly routine? You gotta assess if your kid is really hungry or just wants to get out of bed. If your kid is really hungry it won't matter how many times you say no they will still ask for food. They won't (or at least better not!) learn that when they ask for food they won't get it anyway so no point in asking. That would be cruel imo.

But you can set limits like type of food and they have to stay in bed etc.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 2:52 pm
Not letting a child eat when hungry is like not letting a child use the bathroom when they need to.
If its a 10 minute delay because you're in the car its one thing. All night is a long time to be hungry.
Be reasonable but don't be cruel.

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 2:53 pm
I started teaching my seven year old to have a big drink of water when he says hes hungry. Half the time he was really thirsty not hungry and he goes right to bed. The rest of the time is case by case. I use my discretion to let him eat more or tell him to go back to sleep.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 3:34 pm
Maybe preempt them? Offer seconds on dinner after pajamas.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers