Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Wwyd when kids suddenly want (healthy!) food at bedtime
Previous  1  2

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 7:33 pm
Whoever gets into pajamas nicely gets to choose a fruit or veggie and a book. They eat it while they listen to the book, brush their teeth and go into bed. After that, no hungry excuses are tolerated because I know they just ate.
They have water bottles next to their beds for when they're thirsty.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 8:12 pm
It also makes a big difference if your child is a good eater or not.
Some of my kids were very poor eaters. Yet always at bedtime they were willing to eat better food options and bigger portions than all day. You better believe I used the opportunity to get food inside their tiny bodies. I even let them stay up late as long as they were still sitting and eating healthy food. Most nights they ate more after bedtime than at supper time.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 8:45 pm
No way. I remind my (not great eater) toddler at dinner that this is dinner and this is when we eat, and that there's no other food later

My daughter would stall all night if I let her. I don't

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 6:18 pm
I also have an underweight 4 year old.

First of all, we do dinner right before bed. You can even do baths first. You can do bedtime stories during the meal (this also helps keep the kids at the table longer). This way she is less likely to be hungry at bedtime, because she was eating 5 minutes before bed.

Secondly, nobody gets up from the table without asking to be excused (yes, even my 4 year old). When they asked to be excused, I ask them if they are still hungry or if they are full, and that if they are full, it is time to go straight to bed, and they will not be getting another dinner. Usually, this helps keep dd at the table until she is really done.

Thirdly, I leave an hour for mealtimes. Underweight little kids have tiny stomachs. It can actually take 30-60 minutes for them to eat enough to feel full for more than an hour or two after supper. Make sure to keep mealtimes longer. My dd eats, takes a break to tell me something, eats again, takes a break to sing a song, etc. If she needs to get up from the table, she takes a dancing break - she can get up for 1-2 minutes and dance around the room as long as she comes right back to the table. She usually really fills up then.

Fourth, if she really cries that she is hungry at bed time even after all the above (happens maybe 1-2 times a month), I tell her she can have 1 item (a small baggy of cereal, 1-2 rice cakes, 1 fruit or vegetable) and a cup of water and nothing more and then they have to go to bed and can eat more in the morning. I also let her keep a bottle of water next to her bed all the time in case she needs it.

Good luck.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers