Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
Acoustic or electric guitar?

Lilkingdom

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 3:00 pm
Hi, my 10 year old daughter has an interest in learning the guitar. She has no prior training. She's into the updated pop music that plays on the radio.
I'm looking Into the acoustic or electric guitar. Which one is easier for a beginner to learn? Which one will produce nicer pop music?
From those who have kids playing the guitar, please share your experience. Thanks

Lilkingdom

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 9:51 pm
Anyone familiar with guitars? 🤔

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 9:58 pm
Lilkingdom wrote:
Hi, my 10 year old daughter has an interest in learning the guitar. She has no prior training. She's into the updated pop music that plays on the radio.
I'm looking Into the acoustic or electric guitar. Which one is easier for a beginner to learn? Which one will produce nicer pop music?
From those who have kids playing the guitar, please share your experience. Thanks

The music produced by any instrument is dependent on the person playing it. Both an electric and an acoustic guitar can be equally good. There are issues with electric guitars, you will need an amplifier so she can hear what she is playing. Amplified music may not work for your living situation (children's naps, neighbors etc). She will need an auto tuner or an auto tune ap for a smart phone. (Smartphone auto tune aps are problematic, but cheaper than an auto tuner. )

Consider your child's physical size, will she need a 1/2 or 3/4 size instrument?

These are just a few considerations.

RebekahsMom

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 10:04 pm
They’re very different, and I can’t tell you everything about them. Too bad my nephew, a fantastic player, isn’t around for me to ask anytime soon.

The acoustic guitar makes its own sound. It is usually thicker, hollow, with a hole in the front. I’m pretty sure you can do almost anything on it.

The electric is flatter- it doesn’t echo to make sounds- you need to hook it up to a speaker called an amplifier for it be be properly listened to. Because you don’t have to strum as hard, the strings are easier to press. So you’re trading off ease of play for more components.

It can also be hooked up to a ton of other gadgets to make cool sound effects- I saw my nephew pressing 4 pedals to either repeat in the background or play a different sound (overdubbing).

My nephew plays a very pricey electric, for several hours a day. I’ve seen him pick up my husband’s parlor guitar (shorter with wider neck), and it took him a few minutes to adjust to the size difference, but I’ve never seen that guitar sound so good!

Perhaps you can ask whoever would be teaching her for advice. Trying both might be helpful

kiryat sefer

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 10:27 pm
My sister who kah multi talented plays a 99¢ flute, $50 guitar, and $150 casio. She bought her guitar in amazing savings. It's an acoustic guitar. She learned how to play on YouTube.

Lilkingdom

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 10:32 pm
Thanks everyone! So the amplifier and accessories aren't an issue. My concern is that as a 10 year old beginner, which one in general is easier to learn and play?
I know the acoustic is tougher on the hands. Would nylon strings produce equal quality sound?

imasinger

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 10:52 pm
Either way, he will need to develop callouses.

I find that my students do best beginning with acoustic, then switching to electric if they want. You can buy a hybrid that does both.

shirabira

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 10:58 pm
Nylon strings are easier on the fingers. My child started that way on a 3/4 size avoustic before moving to acoustic electric with metal strings,full sized.

A nylon stringed guitar has a softer sound.
A metal one is stronger. Depends on your preference. Online you can check out YouTube videos of the following Jewish singers: Eli Beer -metal, Carlebach- nylon, yitzchak Fuchs -nylon, pumpidesa band -metal.

Buying at Guitar Center stores is a good idea because they have many to try out on site and a 90 return policy if you aren't satisfied. Musicians friend sells used guitars.

Another thing, I think it's important to have a good voice specifically for guitar players who play chords. It's not the kinda instrument like a Casio where u can tell what song a person is playing if they aren't singing along. On the other hand, if shes learning to play lead , then she will play the tune of the song so singing voice isn't an issue.

Lilkingdom

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 11:11 pm
imasinger wrote:
Either way, he will need to develop callouses.

I find that my students do best beginning with acoustic, then switching to electric if they want. You can buy a hybrid that does both.

May I ask where you're located? I'm also looking for a teacher. Her goal is all the trending pop songs. She's not interested in Jewish music

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 9:09 am
I'm OOT, so probably not helpful in this regard. I'm sure you will be able to find someone good.

In fact, it might make more sense to find the right teacher first, then ask them what they recommend as to an instrument.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries