Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Problems with rice
1  2  3  Next

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 12:59 pm
whenever I cook rice it comes out mushy and hard at the core. I use white rice or brown rice and always have this problem. my whole family loves rice so if I could get it right I can make it more often.

please share your rice cooking secrets...

how do I make it not be sticky and mushy and wet and hard. cooking it longer doesn't help.

going anonymous bc I've been asking around IRL.

tichellady

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 1:00 pm
Get a rice cooker! Very well worth it imo, and I got mine for about $10 from target many years ago.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 1:01 pm
No fail method:

You must use Uncle Ben's long grain white rice.

1 cup Uncle Ben's long grain white rice
2 cups boiling water
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375. Place all ingredients in a 7x10 deep aluminum pan. Cover tightly and bake for 30 minutes. Fluff and serve.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 1:10 pm
so it takes boiled water? that might help. maybe I should only bake and not cook. anyone that cooks has tips? in regular pot. I don't have space to storage a rice cooker.

Boca00

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 1:13 pm
What kind of rice are you using?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 1:16 pm
long grain white or brown rice. I think it says California on the bag but now it's in a container so I can't know for sure.

Boca00

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 1:26 pm
Carolina, Basmati and long grain rice can be partially cooked with a lot of water and salt until all dente (4-5 min, the inside of the rice will be a bit hard). Then drain the rice in a strainer. Next, pour the rice back into pot over a low flame with two paper towels over the pot, cover with pot lid and steam for a few more min until soft. This way it won't be mushy. It also helps remove the arsenic that is natural to rice.

sarahmalka

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 1:35 pm
Oh I was going to suggest a rice cooker too. Rice used to be the bane of my cooking existence until I got one. Saw it at my Japanese friend's house and that was it. You can cook many different grains in a rice cooker! Quinoa, millet, teff... haven't tried barley though.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 1:39 pm
thanks Boca. I meant the bag says Carolina not California. should I buy different rice? I was hoping there's something basic I can do to change the consistency. not looking for 10 steps as I work till late and don't have much time.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 1:41 pm
amother wrote:
so it takes boiled water? that might help. maybe I should only bake and not cook. anyone that cooks has tips? in regular pot. I don't have space to storage a rice cooker.

We call Carolina rice "mushy rice". Definitely purchase some Uncle Ben's to try out.
For the stove top method:

1 cup Uncle Ben's long grain white rice
2 cups water
1 teaspoon teaspoon salt

Place all ingredients in a 3 quart pot.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low (the lowest you can go while still getting a little simmer), cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes.
Remove from heat. Let stand covered 5 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with fork and serve.

Gneshe

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 1:49 pm
No fail rice:
1 C. Brown Rice
2 c. Boiling water
Salt
Oil
Mix. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes

etky

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 1:59 pm
OP, how have you been cooking your rice up to now?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 2:03 pm
double water to rice in pot. nothing more. no method to my madness.

Fox

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 2:05 pm
tichellady wrote:
Get a rice cooker! Very well worth it imo, and I got mine for about $10 from target many years ago.

sarahmalka wrote:
Oh was going to suggest a rice cooker too. Rice used to be the bane of my cooking existence until got one. Saw it at my Japanese friend's house and that was it. You can cook many different grains in a rice cooker! Quinoa, millet, teff... haven't tried barley though.

Another vote for a rice cooker! I always say I'm not going to buy additional electric kitchen appliances that just take up space . . . but I made an exception for a rice cooker. It really is worth it.

Here's a tip: if you have an Asian grocery store nearby, it's likely they sell rice makers. If you're not too far from an Asian supermarket -- and if you live in most metropolitan areas, you're not -- they'll have literally dozens to choose from at prices ranging from $15 to $1000. Ask for a recommendation and they'll steer you toward something durable and cheap, likely assuming that your Gaijin-self wouldn't know truly good rice if it was growing in your bathtub.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 2:07 pm
can you make flavored rice, like spices, vegetables and other stuff in a rice cooker or does it have to be plain rice only?

Fox

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 2:10 pm
amother wrote:
can you make flavored rice, like spices, vegetables and other stuff in a rice cooker or does it have to be plain rice only?

No problem -- at least in my experience. I've used prepared rice mixes; added veggies; added consomme mix . . . you name it.

There are also all kinds of recipes out there for how you can use your rice maker for all kinds of things, including pan breads, cake, etc. I haven't done any of that, but it sounds interesting.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 2:13 pm
2:1 water:rice
I like to boil the water first.
Put the rice in the pot (with a little oil and salt if desired). Add the boiling water and simmer for 15 minutes covered. If it starts to overflow, turn down the flame. Remove from the fire and let it sit covered for another 15 minutes. This is called steaming.
If you open it too soon it will be crunchy inside.

I have never had a problem with this method, regardless of the type of rice. Once you are confident in your rice cooking abilities, get some exciting colors and textures for fancy looking side dishes.

etky

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 2:18 pm
amother wrote:
double water to rice in pot. nothing more. no method to my madness.

I don't know why it's coming out undercooked because that ratio should yield very soft rice.
I can tell you though the method I use to make rice. It comes out perfect every time. We like our rice firmer so I use 1.5 c. water per cup of rice but you can go up to 2 c. without a problem for softer rice.
I first toast the raw rice in some oil (I like to use a wide pot so there's more surface area). After a few minutes, when the rice becomes whitish, I add 1.5 c.of boiling water per cup of rice. I also throw in the salt then - 1 level teaspoon per 2 c. boiling water.
Then I lower the flame and cook the rice tightly covered for 20 minutes. Do not stir.
Turn off flame and let rice rest for about 10 minutes before removing from pan.
I use Persian or Jasmine rice but this method works equally well for short grain rice and for basmati. I do soak the basmati though for half an hour before cooking.
This essentially is the pilaf method of cooking rice. You can substitute chicken broth for the water and you will have rice pilaf.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 2:25 pm
etky, does toasting the rice add any flavor?
I use an analon pot. can that be the cause? maybe the pot is too thick? also, the cover doesn't close very tightly. it fits but can move around a bit.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 2:28 pm
Op you need to boil the water first. Once it's brought to a boil add the rice. Cover the pot and lower the flame and cook for 15 - 20 min.
It should be cooked through. What you describe, is the result of the water cooking out too fast.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen