Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Problems with rice
Previous  1  2  3

nylon

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 11:54 am
I also love my rice cooker because I can set it and forget it, but wth stovetop rice, yes, the water must come to a full rolling boil before you cover and turn it down (or you can cook it like pasta and dry it out, works well; this is how Iranians make their fluffy chelow rice). Otherwise the rice will never cook properly.

I use all types of rice including Carolina (which isn't my favorite but is the right rice to go with certain dishes) and they all come out well. 2:1 is too much water though, even for Carolina rice. Sushi rice is 1.1:1 and basmati is 1.5:1.

I don't bother washing and soaking basmati anymore unless I'm making polo, but Japanese type rice should be rinsed unless it says it's prewashed. the brand I buy is not, and there is a very noticeable difference.

etky

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 1:13 pm
So this just appeared in my FB feed:
http://www.myrecipes.com/how-t.....dium=

Very timely Very Happy

OP, I hope you've already had some success with your rice cooking...

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 3:30 pm
I baked rice last week like I always do and it came out better. my main difficulty is to cook and I need recipes to try. as soon as I find one that looks good I'll try your cooking techniques.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen