Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Do you tip when you pay for delivery?
1  2  Next

librarygirl

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 5:01 pm
I always tip the delivery guy when I receive free delivery from a grocery, restaurant, etc., but what about when you are charged for delivery? I just ordered from a restaurant that charges $5 for delivery. Do I still have to tip?

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 5:05 pm
Yes. Because the delivery fee isn’t going to the delivery person any more than the shipping fee is going to the UPS driver.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 5:12 pm
Yes. One has nothing to do with the other.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 5:16 pm
Yes of course. The tip goes to the delivery guys pocket. The delivery fee goes to the store.

librarygirl

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 5:26 pm
I guess, but I've ordered in the past, and when I asked to put the tip pn the cc, the owner said, "you know, there's a delivery charge." This time I forgot to put it on the cc, so I was wondering if he meant the delivery charge goes to the driver. I'll ask next time I irder.
Thanks for the responses!

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 9:27 pm
Kiddush Hashem to tip say thank you have a nice day

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 10:59 pm
While we're at it, what is the appropriate amount to tip?

Another question: my kids go daily with car service, as they don't have school transportation. All rides go on my account, which is replenished automatically with cc.
Rates are quoted and confirmed with the company.
Often, I don't even see the drivers when they drop off the kids. They cross my lawn and come to the door, and the driver drives off. I don't go all the way out to the road to take them off. In the morning I do see drivers when I put kids on.

What's the sitch. with tips?
I should add that this fixed daily arrangement is quite costly, compared to other conventional transportation methods, like school bus or mini school bus; it's just that other options aren't available due to logistics.
It is a significant amount in the monthly budget as it is.

RebekahsMom

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 11:28 pm
When it comes to ordering pizza, (usually free delivery), the tip goes to the driver. A delivery charge does not. However, drivers may be paid for the gas/ time out of the delivery charge. (A small tip is always nice).

Larger items (furniture), there is always a delivery charge, often including setup/ haul away. A tip is not necessary unless they do something above and beyond- take the door off to fit furniture, move a bed away and back to get the dresser in place.

Car service- no need to tip, since the cost is covered. But if they’re punctual, wait to watch you wave before pulling away, or assist with getting bags out, you can do something small. Baked cookies, a travel mug, or a gift card worth $5-10 is nice around the holidays they celebrate or the end of the school year.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 11:42 pm
I never tip anyone. I pay what I must...money is too tight for me.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 11:54 pm
Hmmm. I dont tip my delivery guys. I honestly never even thought about it! So do you all tip your UPS guy too?

RebekahsMom

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 12:11 am
amother wrote:
Hmmm. I dont tip my delivery guys. I honestly never even thought about it! So do you all tip your UPS guy too?

No- pizza delivery is a convenience- you could drive to the restaurant. UPS is specifically a delivery service. Also- pizza man is using his own car/ gas. The UPS guy is driving a company truck. No wear and tear on it. (If he was a frequent visitor, I would consider a small gift card like I do for the mailman).

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 12:59 am
amother wrote:
While we're at it, what is the appropriate amount to tip?

Another question: my kids go daily with car service, as they don't have school transportation. All rides go on my account, which is replenished automatically with cc.
Rates are quoted and confirmed with the company.
Often, I don't even see the drivers when they drop off the kids. They cross my lawn and come to the door, and the driver drives off. I don't go all the way out to the road to take them off. In the morning I do see drivers when I put kids on.

What's the sitch. with tips?
I should add that this fixed daily arrangement is quite costly, compared to other conventional transportation methods, like school bus or mini school bus; it's just that other options aren't available due to logistics.
It is a significant amount in the monthly budget as it is.

Token of appreciation around holiday/new year time.
Daily service does not require daily tip.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 4:41 am
never

Shoshana37

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 6:48 am
For free Delivery tip is always $5, that's what I always pay for groceries and if they charge for delivery then $2tip. Ups, sanitation, kids bus drivers we tip on xmas $20-50 depends. My husband always says tipping is very important

watergirl

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 7:00 am
amother wrote:
I never tip anyone. I pay what I must...money is too tight for me.

Tipping is always required when you are taking advantage of an optional luxury service such as delivery. Even though if for you and your particular situation delivery is a must, for example if you have 18 children and no car. It is still delivery. If you aren’t going to tip, you need to find someone with a car to bring your stuff home for you. Its not fair to the delivery guy who is also tight on money and its tight for him too. He would not be spending his day bringing packages to peoples houses unless he really needed the money. I’d go as far as to suggest it may be gneiva not to tip. When you request delivery, it is expected that you tip. I don’t know that the delivery guy would be willing to deliver to you if you knew he would not be getting paid for his services. Just like you pay for the food, you have to pay for the delivery if you request it. I’d ask your rav if its ok not to tip, intentionally, before getting delivery again. Its also a chilkul Hashem if you live in the States, where tipping is expected, and you dont.

Same goes with wait staff. Dont go to a sitdown restaurant in America if you’re not going to tip. You’re stealing from the waitress who gave you her time and you’re not paying her.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 7:35 am
watergirl wrote:
Tipping is always required when you are taking advantage of an optional luxury service such as delivery. Even though if for you and your particular situation delivery is a must, for example if you have 18 children and no car. It is still delivery. If you aren’t going to tip, you need to find someone with a car to bring your stuff home for you. Its not fair to the delivery guy who is also tight on money and its tight for him too. He would not be spending his day bringing packages to peoples houses unless he really needed the money. I’d go as far as to suggest it may be gneiva not to tip. When you request delivery, it is expected that you tip. I don’t know that the delivery guy would be willing to deliver to you if you knew he would not be getting paid for his services. Just like you pay for the food, you have to pay for the delivery if you request it. I’d ask your rav if its ok not to tip, intentionally, before getting delivery again. Its also a chilkul Hashem if you live in the States, where tipping is expected, and you dont.

Same goes with wait staff. Dont go to a sitdown restaurant in America if you’re not going to tip. You’re stealing from the waitress who gave you her time and you’re not paying her.

It's a service from the grocery. I only order from a grocery that delivers.(the grocery that does not offer delivery is cheaper) The delivery guy brings my order every week knowing he won't get a tip.
In restaurants they put the tip on our bill, but I hardly go to restaurants, also too expensive for me. I buy takeout and eat with my husband when I want to treat myself.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 9:12 am
Tip is by definition not mandatory. Let the worker see with his boss if he's underpaid.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 9:15 am
amother wrote:
It's a service from the grocery. I only order from a grocery that delivers.(the grocery that does not offer delivery is cheaper) The delivery guy brings my order every week knowing he won't get a tip.
In restaurants they put the tip on our bill, but I hardly go to restaurants, also too expensive for me. I buy takeout and eat with my husband when I want to treat myself.

If it's the same delivery guy (or a couple of people rotating) from the grocery every time and you do a weekly order, then I'd go with the same principle I suggested before - a seasonal gift rather than money each time. I'd also add a monetary tip if there's an extra large order, like if you go all out before Pesach and he brings in eight boxes instead of your usual two.

sneakermom

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 9:17 am
I tip two dollars for a grocery delivery and two dollars for local car service trips.

Teomima

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 9:23 am
I have an issue tipping when a restaurant charges a delivery fee. It's no effort to the restaurant that I'm eating my food at home. They don't have to wait on me, they don't even have to wash plates after I eat. I get it that that's not the delivery guy's fault, and he deserves something for his time and effort, and if the weather is poor I'll definitely tip, but I don't always tip when there's a delivery fee charged. I'll tell the driver why, and let them argue with their employers. I see it as the business owners are stealing from their employees if they charge delivery and don't give it to their drivers.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette