Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Cowardly terrorist attack. As opposed to....?
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 9:06 am
leah233 wrote:
Agreed 100% but even in war there has to be rules

Too many people don't get the moral difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter . Many people say things like "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, the only difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter is which side you are on etc."

That is morally unacceptable. . The different between a terrorist and a freedom fighter is that terrorists attacks civilians. A freedom fighter only attacks the soldiers and police of the occupying force.

Ambushing and killing Hitler from the back would be no different form ambushing any other enemy combatant. Even during holocaust I don't think it would have been right to just kill some random German child.

Good point.

etky

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 9:18 am
Fox wrote:
Well, sadly we know from various surveys in Europe and the U.S. that entirely too many Muslims agree that, while they might personally not be interested in violent jihad, they have no particular problem with someone else doing it.

Also unfortunately, any prominent Muslim who would like to call violent jihadis losers will likely find himself the target of a fatwa, which is not something most people are willing to risk.

Not to mention, in the Middle East, where 'Shahids' who committ such attacks on civilians are lauded and commemorated as 'courageous' heroes.

shoshanim999

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 9:30 am
leah233 wrote:
It is considered cowardly to initially attack victims who can't fight back. Even if the person will be caught or killed later. A real fighter is supposed to only fight with enemy combatants.

I still think that while what terrorists do to unarmed civilians is cruel, hateful, horrifying and a bunch of other adjectives, it's not really cowardly because in truth it takes alot of bravery to do something that might cause the perpetrator to get shot, paralyzed, and endure enormous pain. I get that the civilians are unarmed and can't fight back, but cowardly is still the wrong word.

etky

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 10:01 am
shoshanim999 wrote:
I still think that while what terrorists do to unarmed civilians is cruel, hateful, horrifying and a bunch of other adjectives, it's not really cowardly because in truth it takes alot of bravery to do something that might cause the perpetrator to get shot, paralyzed, and endure enormous pain. I get that the civilians are unarmed and can't fight back, but cowardly is still the wrong word.

I agree that cowardly is not the appropriate word.
However, I also want to point out that those who commit attacks are not always motivated by courage.
Often they are emotionally unbalanced - they seek martyrdom to compensate for emotional problems, out of desperation, or as a means of suicide.
Sometimes they are adolescents looking for glory.
Sometimes they are threatened by others and told that they must commit the attack or suffer punishment or that their family members will be harmed.
Sometimes they're out for the financial compensation for their family.
Calling it bravery is not accurate either.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics