Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Vegas attack vs. manhattan attack

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 4:28 pm
I saw an article (I don't remember where, it was on my news feed on my iPhone) with the following interesting point/question.
After Stephen paddock killed 58 people in the largest US mass shooting in generations, trump and his administration were not at all open to discussion about gun reform. Instead they said along the lines of, "now is time to mourn, not talk politics."
However, when 8 people were killed in manhattan yesterday, trump immediately said (im not quoting verbatim) "we have to strengthen our anti-refugee laws" etc.
Why the double standard?

oliveoil

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 4:45 pm
What's the question? Trump is known to be pro gun and anti immigrant.

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 4:46 pm
You're asking why Trump has a double standard?
Excuse me while I catch my breath from laughing so hard.

Fox

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 5:28 pm
Agreed. When is the do-nothing Trump administration going to lead the way in clamping down on our nation's truck laws?!

Blessing1

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 5:41 pm
It's not a double standard. The New York attack was terrorism by a refugee. The mass shooting wasn't a terror attack.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 6:11 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
It's not a double standard. The New York attack was terrorism by a refugee. The mass shooting wasn't a terror attack.

What possible difference does the word mean?

The Las Vegas shooter murdered 58 people, and injured more than 500 more. He undoubtedly carefully planned his massacre for a long time, contemplated several possible targets, and spent considerable sums putting his plan in place.

And he had a lot of guns, and a lot of ammunition.

Are you saying that its not so bad because he didn't have a political motive? That we shouldn't worry about it because he wasn't a Muslim?

The attack yesterday killed 8 people, and injured a dozen more. I'm not going to deny how horrific it was.

But why is out government so unwilling to discuss legislation geared to stopping the first attack, whatever you call it, while immediately jumping on the second.

"Merit based" immigration? How many of your ancestors would have made the cut? None of mine, most assuredly. We're peasant stock.

Oh, and Fox, I know that you're being sarcastic, but did you know that the government has reached out to truck rental companies to talk about suspicious indicators, etc.

Quote:
U-Haul told FOX Business that law enforcement officials from multiple agencies have assisted rental locations in New York and other states “as it pertains to detecting suspicious behavior.” The company, known for its moving vans, has “fixed measures” in place to help employees identify suspicious individuals. It also implemented new technology in April to screen customers using real-time data, rental history and “impairment recognition techniques” similar to those utilized by law enforcement.

But no one wants to talk about guns and ammo.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 6:19 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

First, he wasn't a "refugee." He was an immigrant.

But yeah. I guess that we shouldn't worry that some nutcase can buy multiple weapons, convert them to automatic, and kill or injure 700 people in just a few minutes, so long as he doesn't have a political motive.

This is Angie Gomez. She was 20 when she was murdered in Las Vegas. But I'm sure her parents are comforted by the fact that it wasn't a "terrorist" attack, so we shouldn't do anything about it.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 6:21 pm
I'm not surprised. I just thought the blatant disconnect was noteworthy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics