Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o Craziest Uber Rides

Boca00

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 10:02 pm
I'll start...

I once took an uber to my doc appointment when my car wasn't available (about a half hour drive). The uber did not have working AC, so the driver opened the windows. The car stank like sweat, and the driver kept mopping his sweaty bald head with a rag. The car ride was bumpy and he played Christian radio the entire time. The entire ride I was wondering how in the world he managed to have such good ratings!?!

I was so nauseous when he finally dropped me off. He turned to me and said, "Give me 5* and I'll give you 5* ok??" Did I mention he was a large, built and intimidating guy?

That explained a lot.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 10:28 pm
I went with 10 year old dd to a wedding( half hour drive at least). The guy didn't shut up. By the time we got to my destination I knew his whole life story including all romantic parts. He was going away for a weekend with his girlfriend and he explained all plans. He also told me about the new house he bought with a friend and what each room looked like.

cnc

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 10:33 pm
I use Uber / Juno (a similar app - all Juno drivers are uber drivers too.) very often, sometimes six times a week and never had any interesting stories. I guess I lucked out.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 10:53 pm
I use Uber all the time, and I walked out of a car once, because I didn't like his attitude.
I don't think that Uber is unsafe. I think that it's just fear mongering that makes people say so.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 11:13 pm
I use uber often. Never had any terrible experiences. Had one driver who drove like a manic and in retrospect I should've said something.

I've learned to ask them to turn down or turn off the music if it's bothering me.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 12:18 am
One guy had funny stories about his home country, one of the -stans near Russia. I don't remember for sure but it may have been Uzbekistan. He claimed it was a nice country with diverse citizenry, all religions, including a close friend who is Jewish but used a Muslim name in their circle.

One driver from India wanted to know about my favorite Indian restaurant. When I told him I never tried because I don't know of any kosher ones, he offered to take me out on a date!!! He did not understand the concept of kosher. Also, he was looking to get married. LOL

It could have been creepy but it wasn't. It was just wierd.

In a car with a religious muslim driver my kids were curious about the lettering on his tchotchkes hanging from the mirror, so that ended up being an odd conversation.

In an Uber line a woman with a dog wanted to know why people in Williamsburg don't own dogs.

I love NY lol.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 12:32 am
I took an uber to a maternity store. The lady puts in the name of the store, turns to me and says, "Oh, we're going to X? Can I ask you something?" I say ok and she says, "Are you going to spend $$????" I said "yes". She stares at me through the rearview mirror (eyes on the road, lady!), and asks "Is it for you or a friend?" I said "for me". She got ALL emotional! "Ohmigosh, you're having a baby????" She couldn't stop exclaiming about how wonderful it is that I'm having a baby, she was even getting teary eyed! Even my DH didn't give me as emotional a reaction when I told him lol!

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 6:05 am
Ok please explain something to a clueless person: what’s this uber shtick? Why is uber any different from Lyft, Yellow Cab, or Larry’s Lovely Livery? Or Altce’s Airport Shuttle for that matter? Every one of those puts you in a motor vehicle at the mercy of a total stranger who may or may not be a chemically impaired psycho or just a mild flake overly interested in your business. So why are you picking on uber? Just because our latest terrorist happened to have driven for them and not for Hershel's Heimish Hack?

Last edited by zaq on Thu, Nov 02 2017, 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 6:30 am
France
Guy named Hashem

Israël
Guy who proposed
Guy who called me yalda
Guy who tried to screw me up until I gave him my Hebrew speaking grandmother on the phone
Guy my mom asked to lower the music and he put higher and started singing

syrima

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 6:38 am
zaq wrote:
Ok please explain something to a clueless person: what’s this uber shtick? Why is uber any different from Lyft, Yellow Cab, or Larry’s Lovely Livery? Or Altce’s Airport Shuttle for that matter? Every one of those puts you in a motor vehicle at the mercy of a total stranger who may or may not be a chemically impaired psycho or just a mild flake overly interested in your business. So why are you picking on uner? Just because our latest terrorist happened to have driven for them and not for Hershel's Heimish Hack?

This!
And for the record I use via cuz it's usually cheaper, sometimes lyft, and I do not get into convos with the drivers, in fact I actively discourage it. Why distract the guy?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 7:31 am
I've always had good experiences with Uber, the one crazy story was actually a comical mixup. I had an appointment in Manhattan and the weather was really bad when it was over so I decided to take an Uber to Penn station. Uber pulls up, I get in, we start going. But he's going in a different direction. I ask where we're going he says Grand Central. I say no, we're supposed to be going to Penn. Then he said, are you Jessica? I say no, I'm "Leah". Are you Luis? No, I'm Ricardo. We realize someone else at the same building had ordered an Uber at the same time except going to Grand Central while I was going to Penn. He had to contact headquarters because it was a whole complicated mess to fix, and by this time the other Uber had realized it too. Anyway, both me and Jessica, whoever she was, got to the right places, Uber did not charge us because of the mix-up.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 8:17 am
Not Uber, but a taxi here in Argentina. I was with my mother and every time my mother and I started talking, the driver would raise the volume on the radio. We weren't talking very loudly or anything. Now that I think about it, by giving the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was trying to not hear our conversation even though I doubt he could understand it.

chay

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 10:18 am
We use lyft but my sister took Uber to my house. Instead of coming to my front door he brought her through the ally to the back door. Lol
We figured the tenants must have used it and I think the destination got saved that way somehow? Idk we had a laugh though
*or maybe he wanted to pick up some pot on his way out

Beingreal

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 10:41 am
Ok I have one! I use lyft and ive been having kidney issues. We had to rush to the hospital because I was in great pain. In the lyft I started to throw up and he handed me his coffee mug to throw up in. ..he wanted it back when I got to the hospital...

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 11:56 am
I have a friend who is an Uber driver. She has stories that would make all of yours pale in comparison!

Believe me, customers give the drivers a lot more hell than vice versa.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 12:01 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I have a friend who is an Uber driver. She has stories that would make all of yours pale in comparison!

Believe me, customers give the drivers a lot more hell than vice versa.

Tell us some! Tell us some!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 12:05 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Tell us some! Tell us some!

She took the night and weekend jobs, because she worked another part time job during the day. You can only imagine the type of customers you pick up once the bars close. Confused

She said that if she had a dollar for every guy who proposed XYZ with her, she'd be able to retire at the end of the month!

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 10:27 pm
- I had a driver ask me if I wanted to go on a date with him (he even offered lunch on the house), all within 30 seconds of me getting in the car.

- I had a driver "get lost" in a scary neighborhood.

- I had a driver never show up and charged me for the ride and marked that I was there (I had to fight to get my money back)

- I had a driver stop to pick up a friend on the way.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 10:28 pm
And my worst taxi ride was the driver (Israel) pulling over to the side of the woods in Har Nof and asking me and my friend to join him for a walk. We said no and refused to follow him. He drove us home and then stalked us for a couple days.

Boca00

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 10:28 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
- I had a driver ask me if I wanted to go on a date with him (he even offered lunch on the house), all within 30 seconds of me getting in the car.

- I had a driver "get lost" in a scary neighborhood.

- I had a driver never show up and charged me for the ride and marked that I was there (I had to fight to get my money back)

- I had a driver stop to pick up a friend on the way.

OMG this was uber or something else? You're brave to keep taking it after all that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics